EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 2

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a little disconcerting though that the GFS had been rock steady for like a dozen runs.... until today 12z.

I see your concern but its not like it threw out a completely different solution - it depicted a less expansive precip shield and yes did shift about 50-75 miles south - but it can just as likely shift back north a tick or south a tick on the next run --

the GFS has been remarkably consistent, we're just gonna notice the cutoffs a lot more as we get closer to the storm..

Not going to be a direct translation of this low from CA to NY, but it's a piece of the puzzle and it sure looks nice at the moment.

Edit: "nice" in the sense that it's visually appealing on the sunrise visible satellite images. The TC junkie in me says it's a convection-starved naked llc that needs to be shunned. :)

Haha was thinking the same thing. Looks like a decaying Hurricane that is now a "tropical storm" once is gets into the colder waters of the Pacific. The NHC would probably keep it at a 45 mph TS even though we know it's a void of convection swirl of cirrus

Haha was thinking the same thing. Looks like a decaying Hurricane that is now a "tropical storm" once is gets into the colder waters of the Pacific. The NHC would probably keep it at a 45 mph TS even though we know it's a void of convection swirl of cirrus

We all better give that swirl a hug as it's responsible for what we'll see on Monday. 

It is really the very far northern areas , i guess up by rt 84 will have a sharp cutoff. The rest of the city and south still will have a healthy 8-12 inch plus snowfall including  Central and north jersey. The GFS has been very consistent for about 14 runs now of around .8-1.00 liquid equiv and cold profiles as well from Phl to RT 80

The panic in here over one GFS run is comical. The GGEM ( most south model just jumped a good but north ) should've helped calm some of you down. The EURO is literally going to hold weenies dreams in the balance to say the absolute least

I just disagree. We are within 72 hours or less. 50-150 mile shifts are extremely disconcerting.

What you didn't mention was how far south the mean shifted the 0.75"+ contour.

Only about 150 miles or so, ya know, nothing major or anything.

Yanksfan you should know better compare all three runs of the 00z-06z-12z and you can see they had some good fluctuation and 12z being the most drastic which is why im not really putting much stock into it until i see the 12z EURO and its ensembles

...HAVE MAINTAINED INTENSITY FOR ONE MORE CYCLE IN CASE ANY REDEVELOPMENT OF CONVECTION OCCURS... :weenie:

On-topic, I don't know if you folks have seen it, but Phil from CapeCodWeather posted a nice technical discussion on his blog. It's written from a SNE perspective obviously, but the synoptics apply regionally.

Yanksfan you should know better compare all three runs of the 00z-06z-12z and you can see they had some good fluctuation and 12z being the most drastic which is why im not really putting much stock into it until i see the 12z EURO and its ensembles

150 mile shift south on one run of an ensemble mean inside of 84 hour shouldn't be ignored.

I just disagree. We are within 72 hours or less. 50-150 mile shifts are extremely disconcerting.

I am going to say this one last time and then focus on my other forum where there is far less banter that is not backed up via meteorological knowledge:

The piece. Of energy. In question. Has not yet reached the West Coast of the United States. THEREFORE, sampling of this energy cannot fully take place within the models until tonight's 00z. A shift within one GFS run truly cannot displace everyone's belief in the storm nor discount the previous runs. PLEASE keep posts within the realm of meteorologically, backed-up ideas. 

Not sure why you're looking at GEFS ensemble members for temperature profiles. Use the mean for a general idea of where the heaviest QPF axis is.

I'm looking at the mean. The heaviest precip is going to be along and north thermal gradient. Where it's colder and drier will also be offset by higher snow ratios.

Archived