• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 2

REDMK6GLI

The difference with 2/6/10 is the models were consistently showing the tight gradient over our area for days..with a 10" difference over 50 miles. This is just one run

The gradient here could almost be as extreme. The 12z GFS verbatim is a foot of snow at KNYC and 3-6" at KSWF, and that might be generous. These storms always have a buffer zone of virga on the north side, see 2/6/10 radar from about 5AM.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've seen this before. The panic that ensues is just as bad as if it went north and we tainted. Wait for the EURO to keep your sanity, also you have to look and see the 6z/12z differences have been the biggest model differences/ discrepency the past few days so they're seems to be some inconsistency there folks as well

This is just one run that shifted south - wait for the ensembles then the Euro - but one thing is certain this is a 100% snowstorm for    NYC Metro proper - chances are increasing anyone north of the NJ/NY border sees very little and points north east from there 

The difference with 2/6/10 is the models were consistently showing the tight gradient over our area for days..with a 10" difference over 50 miles. This is just one run

As I said 'Potential hickup' but thats the catch 22 always with models- is it a hickup or a beginning of a trend. ultimatly it will come down to physics, does the set up make sense in the physical world? Because in the end we are dealing chaos theory and if one variable is off, not weighted correctly than this one run is discounted. the next 2 hrs will tell a tale. If Euro shifts lightly to ****erwiegh the GFS then everybody will breathe again--if not then enjoy 8 hours of nerves till 9p tonight

The gradient here could almost be as extreme. The 12z GFS verbatim is a foot of snow at KNYC and 3-6" at KSWF, and that might be generous. These storms always have a buffer zone of virga on the north side, see 2/6/10 radar from about 5AM.

I'd be concerned if I was 50-75 miles north of nyc. That's where it could be a foot or an inch at this point. I find it hard to believe the models trend so far south that NYC gets less than 6"

I'd be concerned if I was 50-75 miles north of nyc. That's where it could be a foot or an inch at this point. I find it hard to believe the models trend so far south that NYC gets less than 6"

I'm extremely concerned even where I am. As we draw closer the gradient tends to tighten, not expand.

Should I mention that I didn't see a single flake from this event in NE Morris County.

NortheastRadar_20100206-12Z.gif

Sucks everytime we have a chance of 12+ it goes down as we get closer. GFS has been horrible so I didn't get my hopes up.

GFS has done pretty damn good with this storm thus far dont know where you've been. The jumps between 6z and 12z look suspect to me as they are pretty big jumps in comparison to the consistency we've seen the past few days keep that in mind folks

Yea I actually liked the 6z run, not sure why some thought it wasnt a good one.  12z def a step in wrong direction for NYC metro, especially northern areas.  Hopefully 12z is the blip though we still have plenty of time to go before this gets ironed out so expect more wobbles.

Some of the posters down in Monmouth County didn't like that the 06z GFS put them closer to the mix line. The fact of the matter is they were fine that run. The 12z GFS would be right on the edge of screwing a lot of people here. We can't afford this to tick any further south than it already has.

I'm extremely concerned even where I am. As we draw closer the gradient tends to tighten, not expand.

Should I mention that I didn't see a single flake from this event in NE Morris County.

I wouldn't expect this from you. This is not 2/6/10. Areas north of 78 were never supposed to see more than a few inches from that storm

GFS has done pretty damn good with this storm thus far dont know where you've been. The jumps between 6z and 12z look suspect to me as they are pretty big jumps in comparison to the consistency we've seen the past few days keep that in mind folks

Its because the GFS has been the king on this storm that there should be some concern. But by same token all it will take for us to be in FT++ lolipop is a 50 mile shift north so im not hyperventalating by any means

I can't believe some of you on here. It's wild lol. It was ONE RUN kids. And it still shows a foot in NYC. The trend all winter has been for models to

do a south jump tango at this timeframe out from a storm and then shimmy back north.

NYC METRO will get a big snow from this. Period

As modeled it does not show a foot in NYC.

Should I mention that I didn't see a single flake from this event in NE Morris County.

Someone yesterday mentioned this wasnt a good analog due to the raging -NAO at that time so not sure the cutoff would be as pronounced this time around.

I wouldn't expect this from you. This is not 2/6/10. Areas north of 78 were never supposed to see more than a few inches from that storm

I had a winter storm warning that night for 4-8". You can't understand the pain of that storm unless you experienced it on the northern edge. The GFS starts off north and then as the heavier snow moves in it gets pushed further and further southeast. I agree that this won't be quite as dramatic but I am not comfortable to put it lightly.

Some of the posters down in Monmouth County didn't like that the 06z GFS put them closer to the mix line. The fact of the matter is they were fine that run. The 12z GFS would be right on the edge of screwing a lot of people here. We can't afford this to tick any further south than it already has.

To ease you away from weenies edge, couldnt one argue the precip shield is to condensed even if the track went a tick south?

I had a winter storm warning that night for 4-8". You can't understand the pain of that storm unless you experienced it on the northern edge. The GFS starts off north and then as the heavier snow moves in it gets pushed further and further southeast. I agree that this won't be quite as dramatic but I am not comfortable to put it lightly.

Down here in Monmouth we certainly understand. Most times the north received snow and we rain. I must admit this year has been slightly different. Since we have about 63 inches so far

Yanks - agree - don't understand why people don't get why folks north of NYC would be very concerned about the 12Z GFS - sure it may not verify, but the risk of much less QPF is there...

Really? I'm well south of you and my forecast was 4-8 and I got 3.

Archived