joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 2

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nam is by far the warmest model so far and its out of its "reasonable" range so its not even viable in my opinion to take it seriously just yet

There's a first wave that comes through, which is strong enough to depress the thermal gradient south and force the second wave south. It seems to be on its own with this solution.

As far as any QPF increase goes with the interaction of the disturbance over the GL, i can see us bumping up to maybe 1.5"+ in the best forcing/ lift. Highly unlikely we'll be able to get much more than 1.75" without some sort of true degree of phasing in my opinion. Im not too concerned of mixing even on LI save for maybe the briefest period of sleet in the beginning

48 hours before the Feb 4th event, the entire tri-state area was expected to be cold enough on multiple models (the Euro especially if I remember right) for mostly snow. Then there was a last minute north lurch and mixing made it all the way through CT. 07-08 had multiple such outcomes as well, where the storm verified 100 miles north of where models had them at this range. I think the Feb 4th outcome is quite possible in this case, hopefully I'm wrong. Like I said days ago, warm advection driven storms never sit well with me for coastal/city areas. I think we need more to go right for major snow for us than people think, and a lobe or two of the PV being off by a little right now can make this end up with a lot more mixing.

Just about all our storms are WAA driven, at least when we are on the right quadrant of the storm.  Even when we get into the CCB, the resultant precipitation is still owing to the fact that there is continued warm, moist inflow on the other side of the storm.

At this point, I am not concerned about mixing being a major factor, this setup is completely different than the Feb 5th storm... that was a front end thump, this is more of an elongated disturbance with mainly overrunning precipitation.  If I were to be worried about anything (and I'm really not for the NYC area, at this point) it would be that the mid level thermal gradient sets up to our north.  That 850 gradient typically aligns with the best frontogenic forcing.

Just about all our storms are WAA driven, at least when we are on the right quadrant of the storm.  Even when we get into the CCB, the resultant precipitation is still owing to the fact that there is continued warm, moist inflow on the other side of the storm.

At this point, I am not concerned about mixing being a major factor, this setup is completely different than the Feb 5th storm... that was a front end thump, this is more of an elongated disturbance with mainly overrunning precipitation.  If I were to be worried about anything (and I'm really not for the NYC area, at this point) it would be that the mid level thermal gradient sets up to our north.  That 850 gradient typically aligns with the best frontogenic forcing.

True, it's a different setup than Feb 4th, but I just remember how much colder models were for it at this range vs. what happened. I think this can definitely be a nice event for everyone but things can go wrong too. Hopefully today and tomorrow give us answers.

FWIW the normally useless CRAS is also VERY warm and handles the PV much like the NAM. Something to pay attention to guys....the hi res models picking up on this but we need to get in their better range tomorrow:

cras45na_slp_078m.gif

You can pretty much guarantee that any model that follows the CRAS is going to end up wrong.

Archived