joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 2

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where the best forcing exists, there will definitely be a narrow band with much higher qpf totals than the models are currently indicating. Models have a notoriously difficult time picking up on the mesoscale banding, particularly at this range. With that said, I think we will see a more narrow and intense band than the GFS is currently advertising. The GFS is too generous with the area coverage of the precip shield to the north. Very cold temps/ low dewpoints and subsidence will "eat away" at the precip shield.  I'm looking at this more as a "cold frontal passage" event, where the precip is narrow and intense as the warm air advects over a significant isentropic gradient.

In order to ease minds here about the 12z NAM it's heavy snow from about 09z on Monday until about 18z on Monday and then light snow until about 21z Monday. And in that time frame it still dumps nearly an inch of QPF area wide with more west of Philly.

The only thing worth noting from the NAM is that my confidence is increasing that we'll have some activity early on Sunday before a break during the afternoon and early evening.

At what hour ?

The .01  being modeled at 66 ?

The NAM actually has between 0.10-0.25" falling before hour 66 for all areas and that would theoretically start as rain or a mixed bag, but my thinking is that if you fast forward to later runs this will end up colder.

Yep and honestly at KNYC probably all rain up to 69 hrs, but I can only see soundings to 60 on Plymouth

The NAM actually has between 0.10-0.25" falling before hour 66 for all areas and that would theoretically start as rain or a mixed bag, but my thinking is that if you fast forward to later runs this will end up colder.

At hour 66  850s are plus 1 - the surface is 32 - 33 . .01 falls - ( virga stuff IMO )  The main slug starts at hour 69 at KNYC the surface is 30 and the 850s are at 0 .

He said " the  NAM  is a lot of rain before a thump "  That's just not true according to this run .

There`s zero rain at KNYC on the NAM

I really have to disagree. There is without a doubt rain for several hours. In fact, just as much rain as snow as far as duration of precip type. Not saying it's likely, but it does show it. Still 10" of snow following it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At hour 66  850s are plus 1 - the surface is 32 - 33 . .01 falls - ( virga stuff IMO )  The main slug starts at hour 69 at KNYC the surface is 30 and the 850s are at 0 .

He said " the  NAM  is a lot of rain before a thump "  That's just not true according to this run .

Take a look a the graphic I posted above, that's hour 66. My paid maps paint a "wetter solution" but like I said this is all just semantics.

I agree with you that whatever falls on Sunday will generally be light and that we won't have a lot of rain to start.

I still think we have room here to have an earlier start time to the WAA snows.

Yep and honestly at KNYC probably all rain up to 69 hrs, but I can only see soundings to 60 on Plymouth

I respectfully disagree   Hour 69 I see 30 there , and I see it 0c at 850 .

Not that I need to argue the NAM outside 48 hours , I am seeing this run differently than you .

post-7472-0-87696400-1393599641_thumb.pn

It's probably more helpful to altogether ignore the NAM at this range. Integrating information that is known to be incorrect can further cloud an already difficult situation/prediction. Sometimes more is less.

100 percent agree.. at 00Z we can start really adding it t the equation a little more..

Insignificant initial wave is rain, but important 2nd wave is mostly/all snow and lots of it. 

Verbatim on the NAM, there is a lot of sleet and ZR to start on the second wave for NYC, and then probably 4-6" of snow as the 850 temps crash down. There is probably 0.5" liquid falling at NYC after the 850 zero line comes through. Less out over Long Island and southern NJ, more northwest. But it's the NAM at its clown range.

Archived