Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 2

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you compare this to 2/6/10, the only WAA event like this I can think of that fringed/missed large parts of the area, the PV then was much further south, just NE of Maine, and in a position to suppress the flow too much. Although the PV now is deeper, it is forecast to be significantly further north than that one was. The shortwave now is weaker than that one was, but the confluence zone over the Northeast this time is nothing like that was. Most of northern and central New England had mid level winds from the NW then, funneling in huge amounts of dry air. The flow now looks west to east, and would permit more moisture north. This looks much more similar aloft to early Feb 1994, which had heavy snow well into New England. The PV was a lot further north then than 2/6/10, and moisture was able to penetrate very far north. So I think the panicking about suppression is unwarranted. If the Euro goes south we can have a discussion, but I doubt given the 500mb pattern that it's a real danger.

Horizontal PGF = dp/dn    In terms of influence: could not the stronger PV make up for the increased distance?

Horizontal PGF = dp/dn    In terms of influence: could not the stronger PV make up for the increased distance?

The stronger PV will provide a very cold air source for this time of the year, but the mid level wind direction argues for a fairly far north snow zone in my opinion, at least a good lot further than 2/6/10. That storm had the weaker PV centered very far south and in a position to cause huge confluence over New England, causing a brick wall for any snow making it north of I-78. The wind direction this time is west to east, and there is good lift from the upper level jet over our region.

Archived