Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 2

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the third event in a row upton will bust horribly on the high end of their snowfall maps as close to 24 hours away. Why do they keep on shooting so high?! Like I said yesterday when they throw out a big forecast you can almost bet it won't happen. Almost all our big storms they will last to the party on big snowfall forecast

I hate to question nws, but the contrast between them and BOX on every storm has been noticeable. They were almost never in agreement on their snowfall ranges this year on the cwa transition line where I live, with upton almost always a 2" range higher than BOX. Also relevant to say that BOX nailed it this year in my hood.

Please keep nws bashing in the banter thread. Thank you

It's not bashing, it's stating the fact about this storm that they forecasted too much snow and their map still says 6" for my area when I don't expect more than flurries. What if someone that doesn't know about the weather like we do goes and looks at it like my dad who just called and said we are getting 6"! No we are not

I hate to question nws, but the contrast between them and BOX on every storm has been noticeable. They were almost never in agreement on their snowfall ranges this year on the cwa transition line where I live, with upton almost always a 2" range higher than BOX. Also relevant to say that BOX nailed it this year in my hood.[/quote

Agree totally

Well they cant be blame. Watches are up for nyc ..4-8 inches.

I don't think they do anything with the WSW for the afternoon update. We're still 24+ hours away, so they have time. The watch is up and it's a watch for a reason, and not a warning. A watch does not automatically mean a warning is coming, but they have some breathing room with the watch.

Edit: sorry if that's a little illiterate ha.

Higher resolution or not...if DCA & Baltimore are both projected to receive 0.7 inches of precip in a given span by a specific model...it does not make sense that a QPF chart for that same model during that same period would have them in a 1.00 inch zone...

Maybe they are not processing the data correctly. I know that the 2m t's are way off on the wxbell maps when there

is snowcover around NYC and Nassau. I have also seen the wunderground maps have this error. It could

also have something to do with the resolution change, but I am not sure.

This is the third event in a row upton will bust horribly on the high end of their snowfall maps as close to 24 hours away. Why do they keep on shooting so high?! Like I said yesterday when they throw out a big forecast you can almost bet it won't happen. Almost all our big storms they will last to the party on big snowfall forecast

I disagree. They can still update until tomorrow morning with their forecast. 

Slowly back out this afternoon of the big numbers.

15z SREF mean is well south of 9z, the .5 line just gets to NYC on this run and it was well north and west at 9z.  SREFs look pretty similar to the rest of the guidance now from the maps I can see so far.

Still close to .7 for MC

I don't see Upton keeping the watch up!! They will probably take it down with the afternoon update. They will probably cut snowfall map in half also!!

Of course they will keep the watch up, and you will still see warnings go up for much of the area. Geez...the suicide weenies are everywhere.

Guys , I don`t get the attacks on Upton ,are  these guys  fortune tellers ?  The models supported them for the last 5 days , all of

you were in awe of the GFS printing out a foot of snow from philly to nyc all week .

Do you guys forget how the GFS didn't move for a week . And up until 0z last nite the UKIE and Euro were still .07

Now all of a sudden these guys %^& .

I think some of you guys need to relax , their maps were right based on the guidance . When they are certain that the .7 line doesn't move from Colts neck to NYC then they will fix . And unless any of you are 100 perc sure that this cant wiggle 30 MILES , how about you cut the guys a break .

Guys , I don`t get the attacks on Upton ,are  these guys  fortune tellers ?  The models supported them for the last 5 days , all of

you were in awe of the GFS printing out a foot of snow from philly to nyc all week .

Do you guys forget how the GFS didn't move for a week . And up until 0z last nite the UKIE and Euro were still .07

Now all of a sudden these guys %^& .

I think some of you guys need to relax , their maps were right based on the guidance . When they are certain that the .7 line doesn't move from Colts neck to NYC then they will fix . And unless any of you are 100 perc sure that this cant wiggle 30 MILES , how about you cut the guys a break .

It blows my mind that people are completely dismissing the possibility of a 20-30 mile shift. Those cut off lines are not set in stone, and they never will be regardless of how much forecasting and model guidance you follow. You will only know when the storm is right over your roof. Surprising the reactions here, given the madness that this winter has shown. 

It is almost comical to read all of these posts.  Guys, don't jump ship yet... the important part of this storm is not even inland in California yet.  One of the most accurate forecasting tools I use has trended northwest with the axis and shield of the precipitation as well as increasing precipitation amounts.  I expect this trend to continue, especially once the main piece of energy responsible for creating this storm comes on land.  I think what you are seeing now is an imbalance in the scales, as the models are getting fantastic information from the one piece of energy inland and are getting rather poor data from the piece still out over the ocean.  The scales were of course balanced when they were BOTH out over the ocean.  Just a thought.  Let's see what happens. 

It is almost comical to read all of these posts. Guys, don't jump ship yet... the important part of this storm is not even inland in California yet. One of the most accurate forecasting tools I use has trended northwest with the axis and shield of the precipitation as well as increasing precipitation amounts. I expect this trend to continue, especially once the main piece of energy responsible for creating this storm comes on land. I think what you are seeing now is an imbalance in the scales, as the models are getting fantastic information from the one piece of energy inland and are getting rather poor data from the piece still out over the ocean. The scales were of course balanced when they were BOTH out over the ocean. Just a thought. Let's see what happens.

What is this magical tool you speak of?

Archived