• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 2

REDMK6GLI

Well, you did make two posts within 7 minutes of each other (both based on your interpretation of the ECMWF)...one saying "this is borderline for DC"...and a second saying "1.00+ (liquid equivalent, i.e. 10 inches of snow approx.) for DC area"...

The final QPF output numbers are generous when you consider the intensity of the QPF in each of the hourly panels. DC is right on the edge of 10-12 and 8-10". The QPF max is in a narrow band right over that area and points just to the north.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not all argue ! Unless something changes drastically.....we're in for 3-4" or so maybe 5 in southern sections of our area. Not a bad storm so let's enjoy it. As long as we don't expect anywhere near 8-12", it won't disappoint. Models have been trending against us several runs in a row and have reached a consensus across the board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The final QPF output numbers are generous when you consider the intensity of the QPF in each of the hourly panels. DC is right on the edge of 10-12 and 8-10". The QPF max is in a narrow band right over that area and points just to the north.

The max is south of DC now ..yanks are you ok?

The max is south of DC now ..yanks are you ok?

i just ignore his posts, its easier than debating the validity (or lack there of) of his posts.. not sure why people in the nyc metro are acting so childish just because their missing out on one storm.. get over it...

3/1 12z Summary  ( NYC - 5 boroughs / NE-NJ, CNJ)

SREF: 0.70 - 0.80 / 4 - 8 inches of snow

NAM: 0.60 - 0.85 /  4 - 8 inches of snow

GFS: 0.40 - 0.75 / 4 - 10 inches of snow

GEFS: 0.50 - 0.70 / 4 - 8 inches of snow

UKMET: 0.25 - 0.50 / 2 - 5 inches of snow

GEM:: 0.50 - 0.70 /  4- 8 inches of snow

ECM:  0.25 - 0.40 / 2 - 5 inches of snow

ECM Ensembles: 

3 - 6 for NYC based off 12z mean..

Guest Pamela

In this situation, the strength of the polar vortex probably outweighs the unlikely climatological probability of a major March snowstorm over eastern VA and the Delmarva...but I still think the system may edge a bit north of what the 12z ECMWF shows before all is said & done...

I'm definitely thinking Upton converts the watch to an advisory on the pm update. . I don't see nyc or long island getting enough to meet warning criteria!!!! I really hope im wrong but as of now doesn't look like I am

From day one it was all about the PV…SNE was harping on a north trend because it was a sw flow event, it the end this is similar to February 2010 with the pv position and having the final say

There is science behind this, and it is not a SWFE. It was not a lock for a north trend.

In this situation, the strength of the polar vortex probably outweighs the unlikely climatological probability of a major March snowstorm over eastern VA and the Delmarva...but I still think the system  may edge a bit north of what the 12z ECMWF showsh

agreed, also it is March 2nd tomorrow, i think the whole March climo argument has been a bit overdone.  This PV means business, that is why I haven't bought the whole north trend argument people are still bringing up.

3/1 12z Summary ( NYC - 5 boroughs / NE-NJ, CNJ)

SREF: 0.70 - 0.80 / 4 - 8 inches of snow

NAM: 0.60 - 0.85 / 4 - 8 inches of snow

GFS: 0.40 - 0.75 / 4 - 10 inches of snow

GEFS: 0.50 - 0.70 / 4 - 8 inches of snow

UKMET: 0.25 - 0.50 / 2 - 5 inches of snow

GEM:: 0.50 - 0.70 / 4- 8 inches of snow

ECM: 0.25 - 0.40 / 2 - 5 inches of snow

ECM Ensembles:

3 - 6 for NYC based off 12z mean..

And for us?

i think this goes even further south tonight

Thats what I've been thinking too, I actually think the WAA wave initially ends up more north and stronger and the 2nd system goes further south...Mitchell Gaines just posted in the PHL forum about a possible screw zone somewhere in SE PA or CNTRL-SRN NJ where they are warm or too far south on the first wave and then miss the 2nd storm...definitely seems possible, I'd almost rather be in Staten Island right now that between TTN and PHL

Guest Pamela

God I wish I could just post the map from SV.

Through hour 84 you have to go all the way to KY for 2"+.

Well basic orographic lift makes more snow  (& QPF in general) in places like the Blue Ridge Mountains a virtual certainty versus the coastal plain...

Thats what I've been thinking too, I actually think the WAA wave initially ends up more north and stronger and the 2nd system goes further south...Mitchell Gaines just posted in the PHL forum about a possible screw zone somewhere in SE PA or CNTRL-SRN NJ where they are warm or too far south on the first wave and then miss the 2nd storm...definitely seems possible, I'd almost rather be in Staten Island right now that between TTN and PHL

yeah ive been thinking of that since I read your post earlier...although the Euro has the WAA wave still pretty weak.

Archived