Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 2

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah ive been thinking of that since I read your post earlier...although the Euro has the WAA wave still pretty weak.

The Euro won't pick up on that at all,well it may but it will probably be too low on the QPF same as the GFS, I'm banking on the RGEM to be the only model that sees it and perhaps the HRR and RAP as we get closer.

Well basic orographic lift makes more snow  (& QPF in general) in places like the Blue Ridge Mountains a virtual certainty versus the coastal plain...

The storm vista maps are roughly 0.25" or so dryer than WxBell. This is a big storm for the central Apps. I agree with some of the mets on here calling for this to be even further south.

This thread is a joke. I have the information right in front of me, and from now I'll be keeping it to myself. Good luck with your 2-4" at best.

We appreciate the info but it's your manner of posting that rubs folks the wrong way ... condescending and antagonistic.

BTW looks like the NWS was definitely smart in playing it conservative from the start and not going with the higher 10+" amounts even when some of the models were showing that.

Yeah Upton had a real good discussion a few nights ago how they felt this might end up south of us….they never bought into any north trend, even when the models had 12+ for us 

The Euro won't pick up on that at all,well it may but it will probably too low on the QPF same as the GFS, I'm banking on the RGEM to be the only model that sees it and perhaps the HRR and RAP as we get closer.

yeah the short-range models will do better with that for sure....I think the short range models will be more critical than even usual in last minute changes with this storm....

Yeah Upton had a real good discussion a few nights ago how they felt this might end up south of us….they never bought into any north trend, even when the models had 12+ for us 

I guess I'll be eating crow. It's times like this I'm glad this is my hobby and not my profession. :P

I think Upton downgrades the watches to advisories later. North of White Plains probably doesn't average 3" so no advisory north of NYC. Down here it's probably a high advisory event, 4-6" or 3-5".

Guest Pamela

The storm vista maps are roughly 0.25" or so dryer than WxBell. This is a big storm for the central Apps. I agree with some of the mets on here calling for this to be even further south.

That is very strange...it was my understanding that when a QPF map is formulated...it is simply a matter of connecting the isopleths between one projected station total & another...how that can manage to be fouled up...I don't know.

The shortwave energy swinging around Great Lakes is all strung out, like a polar front. That hard for southern stream wave to interact or phase it. The only thing it can really do like that it suppress and shear out the southern stream wave. This is trends all the models that, I don't like seeing for us.

That is very strange...it was my understanding that when a QPF map is formulated...it is simply a matter of connecting the isopleths between one projected station total & another...how that can manage to be fouled up...I don't know.

DT had a blurb about higher resolution Euro data on WXbell.

* ABOUT THOSE EUROPEAN MODEL MAPS ***

Again I have read the argument or the suggestion being made by some out there that it is illegal to show the European model. That is NOT correct. Weatherbell has claims on the high resolution 0.125 degree version of the European model.

The ECMWF has released publicly the "regular" European version which is run at 0.5 degrees. This is the European model you find on ECMWF web site.... as well as the Penn state Ewall cite... and over on the Unisys website... over on the Montreal website... .. and the European model you finds over on Allan Huffman's American weather model website. 

It is not repeat not illegal or unlawful to post the European model at this regular resolution.

I try and tell people all the time that WxBell maps are usually over done and shouldn't be trusted and people ignore it.

The wb qpf maps are high res maps and are fine. You speak with such conviction I just have to step in here. Ryan uses the qpf off the soundings when he created the maps.

Snow maps are different issue. I will let the phd out of the naval jet lab know that u are certain his maps r wrong.

Guest Pamela

DT had a blurb about higher resolution Euro data on WXbell.

* ABOUT THOSE EUROPEAN MODEL MAPS ***

Again I have read the argument or the suggestion being made by some out there that it is illegal to show the European model. That is NOT correct. Weatherbell has claims on the high resolution 0.125 degree version of the European model.

The ECMWF has released publicly the "regular" European version which is run at 0.5 degrees. This is the European model you find on ECMWF web site.... as well as the Penn state Ewall cite... and over on the Unisys website... over on the Montreal website... .. and the European model you finds over on Allan Huffman's American weather model website. 

It is not repeat not illegal or unlawful to post the European model at this regular resolution.

Higher resolution or not...if DCA & Baltimore are both projected to receive 0.7 inches of precip in a given span by a specific model...it does not make sense that a QPF chart for that same model during that same period would have them in a 1.00 inch zone...

Guest Pamela

Higher resolution or not...if DCA & Baltimore are both projected to receive 0.7 inches of precip in a given span by a specific model...it does not make sense that a QPF chart for that same model during that same period would have them in a 1.00 inch zone...

Having re-read Bluewave's post and sort of digesting it...I assume he means that there are really two separate & distinct model runs for ECMWF QPF...thus accounting for the discrepancy.

any further south and the Philly news outlets will look terrible.

All media is talking about a huge snow storm with 12 inches likely.

any further south and the Philly news outlets will look terrible.

All media is talking about a huge snow storm with 12 inches likely.

That's why no one should ever "lock in a foot of snow" or call for a complete miss south/rain more than 72 hours from a storm. It makes you look that much more foolish when something changes.

With or without this storm, it's been a great winter. Central Park should hopefully break 60" with this snow event.

true so it should be discussed in the mid-atl thread...

Not trying to troll, but the reality is that the snow that was modeled for NYC is now modeled for DC. That is the reason why people are talking about DC's modeled snow...it used to be their modeled snow.

Where's all the " this gonna gonna come north next run" posters from last night? Lol sorry U can delete this but I had to say it after the beating I took

LOL.  Until we see a model tick north, the sound trend is not even over. No model at 12z did anything but trend even further south.

This is the third event in a row upton will bust horribly on the high end of their snowfall maps as close to 24 hours away. Why do they keep on shooting so high?! Like I said yesterday when they throw out a big forecast you can almost bet it won't happen. Almost all our big storms they will last to the party on big snowfall forecast

This is the third event in a row upton will bust horribly on the high end of their snowfall maps as close to 24 hours away. Why do they keep on shooting so high?! Like I said yesterday when they throw out a big forecast you can almost bet it won't happen. Almost all our big storms they will last to the party on big snowfall forecast

Please keep nws bashing in the banter thread. Thank you

Archived