Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Central PA & The Fringes - February 2014 Pt. VI

2001kx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It certainly has the look of a very cold storm like that one was, that's for sure. This is kind of a straightforward threat when it comes down to it, imo. There almost definitely will be a storm crossing the country, and where this frontal boundary sets up its going to dictate where the swath of heavy snow goes. With the PV and the strength of the cold air, I was already leaning away from the warmer Euro solution.. but wasn't expecting it to shift as much as it did today. The cold air will likely win in at least most of our area as it generally has all winter long but with it being March the warm air down south should put up a fight to a point, so I don't buy complete suppression. Basically I don't think we get out of this without at least a decent event. 

and this is without models accounting for overrunning that we have seen over perform all winter... to me seems like an idea set up where some areas will see significant accumulations across southern pa before the mail bulk of the modeled precip arrives

Okay, ECM is fair enough. Still fearful.

euro ensemble is now running... curious to see if it jumps that far south too or if it ends up north of operational

It's an interesting setup despite there not being a strong surface low and a weakening 500 mb shortwave. The main lifting mechanism appears to be the upper-level jet streak circulation. This feature develops mainly due to the 500 mb confluence in QB leading to low-level cold, ageostrophic flow to the north and warm advection to the south of the frontal boundary. Coupled with the upper-level divergence in the jet's right entrance region is a large area of poleward sloping frontogenetic forcing over the Ohio Valley, Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.

There looks to be decent pwat anomalies over the southern plains into the deep south from Sunday afternoon to Monday. That should allow for some intense rainfall down in that region which could support more ridging downstream as a result of the bulk diabatic heating. That may bring the frontal boundary a bit farther north than modelled, though it will be opposed somewhat by the low-level ageostrophic cold drain. I haven't looked at the 12z Euro yet in detail but I assume there are some differences with the GFS regarding the PV strength and in turn the 500 mb confluence.

Archived