Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Central PA & The Fringes - February 2014 Pt. VI

2001kx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something tells me that I wouldn't be able to get a discount for a business, unfortunately. I'm not real familiar with their products, I take it they're excellent?

Well, Toro and Jacobsen are the two best in the golf course industry. It's kind of a Ford vs Chevy thing among superintendents. As for discounts, I knew you were joking so I just kind of went with it. ;)

I'm thinking we won't be needing to use mowers until April at the earliest anyway if the snow, and moreso, the March temperature map that Zak posted were to verify.

is that map assuming 20:1 ratios? seems quite high compared to what temperature profile and qpf indicate what amounts should be... seems to me like half to 2/3rds of that is closer to reality

It bases it off actual calculated ratios. GFS has it at like 5-12 degrees while snowing so seems reasonable. 

Take a look at Cobb run from 6Z GFS.  It shows ratios at MDT of only around 8:1 for the storm.  Shows about 8" snow.  Ran Cobb same run for KPIT, it gives them 13:1 ratios and 14" of snow.

GFS is so cold during this storm.  It's been quite a while since a major snowstorm began in the 20's and then dropped all the way down to lower teens near the end.  I've seen it go the other way more often.  Almost all the true biggies around here have had steady or slowly rising temps.  But, '96 and '03 started out near 10 and only rose to the mid teens by the end.

Other thing I wanted to mention was how this upcoming storm appears to be similar to Feb 2003 storm.  We were on a east/west gradient with arctic air just to the north.  I don't know if Monday storm resembles Feb 2003 at 500 and 850 on the charts.  Can someone chime in about this??

Other thing I wanted to mention was how this upcoming storm appears to be similar to Feb 2003 storm.  We were on a east/west gradient with arctic air just to the north.  I don't know if Monday storm resembles Feb 2003 at 500 and 850 on the charts.  Can someone chime in about this??

It's interesting that you posted this as it was something I was thinking about yesterday.

My bets the euro stays north. Now that it has some support from the UKMET, I start to worry.

I hope not. I don't want mixed precip. I'm for all snow, or...if it wants to go north, then let it go so far as to be a plain rain event.

Archived