wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Feb 12-13 Finale Observations Part 3

Amped

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the 10 PM HPC storm summary, 17 states (AL, CN, DE, GA, KY, MA, ME, MD, NH, NJ, NY, NC, PA, SC, TN, VA, WVA) and the District have recorded 10" or more from this storm. RI and VT will probably join that list: they both have stations recording 9"+ where it's still snowing.

19 states and DC: pretty impressive. Last East Coast storm to do that was probably March 93. Or maybe Jan 96.

From what I remember with 94... it was cold with a lot sleet... I was a senior in high school and we were the only county to make up all the snow days!!!

Lol, I was a freshman in college so I am to old to remember that winter but I was talking about the 94" of snow I got in 09-10.

man I got a case of the post deathband blues

you need to watch it when jebwalking in this stuff. I thought I'd walk in a plowed pile for kicks. Well, I enjoyed sinking up to my hips in the plowed pile of snow. But there was about a foot of water in the bottom of this plowed pile. My shoes are soaking wet and full of wet snow

I always love winter. I am not ready to punt yet. Lets see what tomorrow night brings

we really need to hit at least the upper 20s overnight, this 35 degrees right now is not good, if we have 35 for a low then 40s tomorrow we just might experience warning criteria snowpack meltdown tomorrow lol

Many years ago I read a science fiction story about scientists who placed devices under the ocean, on the ocean floor somewhere off the East Coast, probably the Mid Atlantic region, and switched the devices on when a low moved over that region where the devices had been placed. The devices warmed the ocean and the storm became stationary over that region. It grew because of the warmer ocean water.

The meteorologists in the story who were unaware of the devices on the ocean floor were puzzled at the developing low off the East Coast. No one could explain why the damn storm stayed there for weeks, growing and burying the Nation's Capital under more and more snow.

Finally the persons responsible for placing the devices on the ocean floor were found out and they switched off the devices.

But the storm would not move. It had become a semipermanent feature. By that time the snow it was producing had accumulated to multiple feet, and eventually ten feet or so with drifts to 20 stories and ferocious winds. I think the story was titled, 'Megastorm'.

Nothing anyone could do would mitigate the storm, which continued to remain stationary and to dump tremendous amounts of snow on Washington and adjacent regions.

Then another storm formed near Paris, France and began to build. Then the story ended.

Lol at the guys ready to punt winter. The MA winter ups and downs are ridiculously hard so I guess you do get exhausted after a while. Maybe I'm ready to punt too? 

I came into DC under the assumption that it'd never snow so this winter has been nice. I was only looking for this to exceed my best snowfall and I smashed it. Ripping snow all last night was plenty good for me, and this evening was alright even with poor temps. Being 3-6 inches lower than everyone around me does get tiring after a while though.

\

I'm moving NW.  :P

We better torch during the spring and summer as well as we do during winter. 

You came within range of the DCA-defending flamethrower, didn't you?  :sun:

Seriously, this event was what I call a tongue event.  It's not just proximity to the river, but also population effects (heated houses) and ELEVATION.  Even after compaction, at 90 feet west of DCA I had an inch more.  I probably had the same QPF as American U in DC, but they were fluffier.

Waiting for sunrise to get the new coating off the car (or maybe it will slide off by itself) in south Arlington VA.

Many years ago I read a science fiction story about scientists who placed devices under the ocean, on the ocean floor somewhere off the East Coast, probably the Mid Atlantic region, and switched the devices on when a low moved over that region where the devices had been placed. The devices warmed the ocean and the storm became stationary over that region. It grew because of the warmer ocean water.

The meteorologists in the story who were unaware of the devices on the ocean floor were puzzled at the developing low off the East Coast. No one could explain why the damn storm stayed there for weeks, growing and burying the Nation's Capital under more and more snow.

Finally the persons responsible for placing the devices on the ocean floor were found out and they switched off the devices.

But the storm would not move. It had become a semipermanent feature. By that time the snow it was producing had accumulated to multiple feet, and eventually ten feet or so with drifts to 20 stories and ferocious winds. I think the story was titled, 'Megastorm'.

Nothing anyone could do would mitigate the storm, which continued to remain stationary and to dump tremendous amounts of snow on Washington and adjacent regions.

Then another storm formed near Paris, France and began to build. Then the story ended.

Ha! I remember that book! It was called, "Blizzard," by George Stone. It was about weather modification and an experiment that went bad. It was (is) a great read for a high school weather weenie like myself.

Archived