• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 15 clipper/redeveloper

ORH_wxman

If that s/w north of the Lakes trends a little further west - especially if it drops into the trof - this thing could wrap up right into the Cape again.

The more if shifts west, the more heights rise over NNE.  That gives the neg tilting trof room to tuck closer to the coast.  Or at least it might not shunt it so far east as it cuts off.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aside of Will that chimed in.....does everyone feel the GFS at 18z was correct and just part of the overall "trend" west?  Thoughts on the feedback noted by NCEP and that may or may not be evident 15-21z tomorrow?

C'mon John you must have a 10 paragraph post in you that helps us all understand the differences between hydro/non hydro and which one should be superior in this case?  I really do think it comes down to the convection, right or wrong.

OKX just went watch for 6-8 for SE CT

Actually looks like 3-5 inches is their forecast.

CTZ008-150915-

NORTHERN NEW LONDON-

356 PM EST FRI FEB 14 2014

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE

SATURDAY NIGHT...

.TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY THIS EVENING...THEN BECOMING MOSTLY CLOUDY.

LOWS IN THE LOWER 20S. WEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO

25 MPH...BECOMING SOUTHWEST AROUND 5 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT.

.SATURDAY...CLOUDY...SNOW...MAINLY IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW

ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 3 INCHES. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. NORTHEAST WINDS

AROUND 5 MPH...INCREASING TO 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH IN

THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF SNOW 80 PERCENT.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH SNOW IN THE EVENING...THEN

PARTLY CLOUDY AFTER MIDNIGHT. SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES IN THE

EVENING. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 5 INCHES. BLUSTERY WITH

LOWS AROUND 20. NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO

35 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 90 PERCENT.

CTZ012-150915-

SOUTHERN NEW LONDON-

SATURDAY NIGHT...

BRISK WITH LOWS IN THE MID 20S. WEST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH...BECOMING

SOUTHWEST AROUND 5 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT.

.SATURDAY...CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF RAIN WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW IN

THE MORNING...THEN SNOW AND RAIN IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW MAY BE HEAVY

AT TIMES IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 3 INCHES. HIGHS

IN THE MID 30S. NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH IN

THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 80 PERCENT.

EVENING. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 5 INCHES. WINDY WITH LOWS

IN THE LOWER 20S. NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO

These storms can sometimes get sneaky at the last second....so it wouldn't completely shock me if the GFS was right...but more often than not, we will see an outlier GFS run come back to earth versus continuing to lead the trend.

Remember the Feb 17 storm last year? That was the one the weekend after the blizzard. The GFS did something like this where it was trying to wreck eastern MA/RI but in the end it proved to be too far west and a more moderate event took shape. I do think this one will be a bit higher impact than that, but I was throwing it out as an example of the GFS leading a trend, but then overdoing it around the 24-30 hour mark. 

Actually looks like 3-5 inches is their forecast.

CTZ008-150915-

NORTHERN NEW LONDON-

SATURDAY NIGHT...

LOWS IN THE LOWER 20S. WEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO

25 MPH...BECOMING SOUTHWEST AROUND 5 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT.

.SATURDAY...CLOUDY...SNOW...MAINLY IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW

ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 3 INCHES. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. NORTHEAST WINDS

AROUND 5 MPH...INCREASING TO 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH IN

THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF SNOW 80 PERCENT.

EVENING. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 5 INCHES. BLUSTERY WITH

LOWS AROUND 20. NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO

CTZ012-150915-

SOUTHERN NEW LONDON-

SATURDAY NIGHT...

BRISK WITH LOWS IN THE MID 20S. WEST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH...BECOMING

SOUTHWEST AROUND 5 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT.

.SATURDAY...CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF RAIN WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW IN

THE MORNING...THEN SNOW AND RAIN IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW MAY BE HEAVY

AT TIMES IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 3 INCHES. HIGHS

IN THE MID 30S. NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH IN

THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 80 PERCENT.

EVENING. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 5 INCHES. WINDY WITH LOWS

IN THE LOWER 20S. NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO

I just got a NWS text alert dude.

These storms can sometimes get sneaky at the last second....so it wouldn't completely shock me if the GFS was right...but more often than not, we will see an outlier GFS run come back to earth versus continuing to lead the trend.

Remember the Feb 17 storm last year? That was the one the weekend after the blizzard. The GFS did something like this where it was trying to wreck eastern MA/RI but in the end it proved to be too far west and a more moderate event took shape. I do think this one will be a bit higher impact than that, but I was throwing it out as an example of the GFS leading a trend, but then overdoing it around the 24-30 hour mark. 

Will I just don't know what to make of the HPC and their comments on feedback.  As I said directly this is one of the few times it appears to be evident and have a meaningful effect in tightening the northern spin in the structure.  HPC notes two instances of convective feedback on the 12z run, one on each coast.  I still toss the 18z GFS for a consensus of the other models perhaps adjusted 20-30 miles west.  May go down in flames, but I think the GFS is wrong.  I figure if one is going to take a stand on it effecting something better to do it now than the "i told you so" one way or the other after the 0z.

ECMWF IS SLOWER THAN ITS OWN ENSEMBLE MEAN WITH THIS

SYSTEM.  THE 12Z GFS SHOWS A RARE CASE OF CONVECTIVE/GRIDSCALE

FEEDBACK WHILE THIS SYSTEM IS STILL OFFSHORE OREGON SUNDAY, WHICH

COULD LEAD TO ITS MORE PROGRESSIVE NATURE

I also don't know fully how it leads to increased progression, in fact seems to be the opposite which has me wondering if it really matters much.  Whatever it was, or is, it accelerated in the 18z run.

AN ISSUE THAT FOLLOWS THROUGH

THE FIRST DAY OF THEIR FORECASTS.  WHILE THE 12Z GFS SHOWS

CONVECTIVE/GRIDSCALE FEEDBACK NEAR AND OFFSHORE THE EAST COAST

WHICH STRENGTHEN ITS UPPER LEVEL CIRCULATION AND COULD LEAD TO

SOME EXCESSIVE PROGRESSION,

Aside of Will that chimed in.....does everyone feel the GFS at 18z was correct and just part of the overall "trend" west? Thoughts on the feedback noted by NCEP and that may or may not be evident 15-21z tomorrow?

C'mon John you must have a 10 paragraph post in you that helps us all understand the differences between hydro/non hydro and which one should be superior in this case? I really do think it comes down to the convection, right or wrong.

I think we all feel the same, but the "trend" cannot be ignored. This is a major height fall with a low rapidly developing along the wall of the gulf stream. Bombogenesis.

Wasn't there a storm in Late Jan of last year where the GFS did this within 36-42 hours? I could've sworn it was in late January, but maybe it did that twice lol

Aside of Will that chimed in.....does everyone feel the GFS at 18z was correct and just part of the overall "trend" west? Thoughts on the feedback noted by NCEP and that may or may not be evident 15-21z tomorrow?

C'mon John you must have a 10 paragraph post in you that helps us all understand the differences between hydro/non hydro and which one should be superior in this case? I really do think it comes down to the convection, right or wrong.

It may be overdone but you have to give it some weight and it has led the way and every other model seems to be continuing the westward shift, Until you see it cease or head the other way you have to factor it in, We are getting inside 24 hrs on the models, 0z tonight should start to tell the tale, One way or the other

Remember it well but if I remember right it was alone and no other model had the nuke like the other majors do today? so its more a matter of placement this time?so very close to start time, probably overamped but Wxniss and Jerry make valid points.

If that s/w north of the Lakes trends a little further west - especially if it drops into the trof - this thing could wrap up right into the Cape again.

The more if shifts west, the more heights rise over NNE.  That gives the neg tilting trof room to tuck closer to the coast.  Or at least it might not shunt it so far east as it cuts off.

Yes

2 critical factors I'm seeing here:

1) the distribution of shortwave energy rounding the base of the trough and how it influences sharpness/tilt of the trough over Carolinas 12z Saturday ---> this ultimately influences how close the SLP reflection tracks

GFS has the sharper trough etc... vs. NAM hence further west track

2) the shortwave over Quebec

compare h5 at 6z Sunday... GFS has stronger energy that closes off at h5, raising heights more over Maine and slowing down the east exit of our storm

GFS

post-3106-0-02364900-1392416965_thumb.gi

NAM

post-3106-0-67941700-1392416973_thumb.gi

The watch does mention the potential for 6-8, but the expectation is for 3-5.  I think there's some caution that amounts could be higher.

I wouldn't mind that part of the state getting 8. I've got 42.2 on the season in Old Lyme so far. 8 inches would make it the snowiest February and put it in striking distance of my snowiest winter 59.4 in 04-05 with a month plus to go. Granted I only have records for the last decade, but it's always fun to set new winter records.

Pretty safe to say ORH maxes at 3-6? Have to travel Sunday morning.

I'd say a 2-4/3-6" call in the Worcester area is more of a floor than a ceiling at this point thanks to recent trends. Although any tick east would squash the higher total potential.

Just my amateur opinion though.

nice I thought you lived in SWCT?, this and Monday Tuesday might break the record.

I do but I have a relative there with property big enough to properly site a weather station that has been there and will continue to be there for a long time. Guaranteeing a long period of record was important in finding someone to host a weather station for me. I'll eventually set one up here too, but every year I tell myself I'm moving from the beach to back country to gain a few extra inches of snowfall a year.

Like the last storm, the dynamics are on steroids and that will lead to continuing changes in the models right up to game time and beyond. Key here is that the gfs closes the 700 and 500 levels and the negative tilt is becoming enormous. This charge west is real and if the upper levels follow gfs guidance, slp must get caught and vector closer to the coast. Strengthening of slp is epic and if there was any blocking at all....

Subtle tick east?

If that. Not sold on that either.

Archived