joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thursday & Thursday Night Winter Storm Discussion

CT Rain

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plymouth, NH does better with clippers than coastal lows. I used to take the low end of an NWS forecast and subtract 2 as a rule of thumb for coastals. 

Having spent a number of years there myself, they do best with SWFEs with a light low-level wind field or a bit of a SE wind. The N and NE downslope during coastals will often downslope that area a bit.

Having spent a number of years there myself, they do best with SWFEs with a light low-level wind field or a bit of a SE wind. The N and NE downslope during coastals will often downslope that area a bit.

What's your general feeling for the Berks and Pioneer Valley?  

Models have stayed fairyl consistent giving Berks great backlash but even keeping Northampton to Brattleboro in some decent snows tomorrow night.

More of a schematic than a precise map, just thinking that a broad swath of 20-30" snowfalls could result across n/c CT, w/c MA s VT and inland s/c NH into Maine. Mount Tolland 15"

BOS and PVD likely to be 3-5 inches snow followed by prolonged sleet, rain back to all snow for a couple more inches at end of event.

Good luck everybody.

post-313-0-23518300-1392269606_thumb.jpg

Finally seeing some consistent "forecasts" - gonna go ahead and expect 10". 

Right,  stayed up until about 1am and remember thinking good storm but only about 14-16" max.  Awoke to 22"

The biggest storm for me since I moved out of Cambridge in 2007 although Oct 2011 was more impressive for obvious seasonal reasons.

In Maine that thing was like a non-stop two day event. When it finally slowed down, I looked outside and didn't think there was much on the ground, then realized that I couldn't see any parking meters.

hrr does me good on the backside. some of it may be wet but thats still impressive. im feeling good.

didnt it do pretty good with the swfe?

it only goes out to 15?, look at this inflow, Berkshires are going to get lit up http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/displayMapLocalDiskDateDomainZip.cgi?keys=hrrr_jet:&runtime=2014021303&plot_type=wind_t3850&fcst=15&time_inc=60&num_times=16&model=hrrr&ptitle=HRRR%20Model%20Fields%20-%20Experimental&maxFcstLen=15&fcstStrLen=-1&domain=t3&adtfn=1

Euro absolutely goes bonkers with the front end thump...esp for eastern areas. Way more impressive than 12z. Prob like 10-12" at least 128 belt.

yikes, Will look at HRRR wow, hope you get to ORH,http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/displayMapLocalDiskDateDomainZip.cgi?keys=hrrr_jet:&runtime=2014021303&plot_type=wind_t3850&fcst=15&time_inc=60&num_times=16&model=hrrr&ptitle=HRRR%20Model%20Fields%20-%20Experimental&maxFcstLen=15&fcstStrLen=-1&domain=t3&adtfn=1

Archived