Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to show some ignorance here; tried to find more info on "KU snowstorm" Phil's referring to in Forecast Discussion but didn't find a good reference.

Anybody got a easy explanation for what it is?  ty

https://www.google.com/search?q=kocin+uccellini+storm&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS377US377&oq=kocin+uccellini+storm&aqs=chrome..69i57.3258j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

So, Pack, are we all frozen then? Looks like it to me, verbatim.

Yep, it looks like we hover around 27-28F but rise to 30F on 12z Thursday but are 850's drop and looks like we got to sleet/snow mix.  The GFS looked kind of dry early on, compared to other models, verbatim it's probably 0.5-0.75" of frzn and 1-2" of snow, roughly.

I'm still learning but isn't the Euro dependable this close in? As much as I want snow unfortunately I'm with packbacker and widre with this. It just doesn't feel right. Oh well, it has been fun to track though!

Euro has higher skill. All models have certain biases that forecasters have to take into account when making a forecast. But generally, the Euro is superior. Most of the precip will probably be frozen for us. Probably.

I live in Durham and know that all storms are either too east or too west.  It's always entertaining watching these things build up only to never materialize.  Two or three a year it seems with the exact same results each time.   If and when it ever does snow people really will be caught off guard here given just how rarely these situations seem to play out as expected days going in.

I'm still learning but isn't the Euro dependable this close in? As much as I want snow unfortunately I'm with packbacker and widre with this. It just doesn't feel right. Oh well, it has been fun to track though!

Yep.  But so are the other models, once they are within 24-36 hours they are all fairly close and we are getting to that point.  And right now the SLP is only off on the models by 25 miles are so, Euro still west, GFS still east.

If this turns into an all rain thing here after things were looking like a high impact winter storm, I might just have to quit following these winter storm threats. Too much time and energy wasted when you don't get anything good in return.

RGEM says we flip to rain, very Euro like, it does show 2-3" of snow, 0.5" of sleet, 0.5" of frzn and than 0.5" of rain.  It would be one of those where we wake up Thursday morning and we would never know we had a winter storm, LOL.

R9_RN_S9_SN_G9_PE_Z9_FR_METE_0000_Raleig

Athens, Ga here, close to the Madison County line. It's been mostly snow here since I got up at 6am. Alternates between ginormous fluffy flakes and sleet. Roads are still good but it's accumulating on the grass and steps and cars. Not even a half inch of it so far but I'm just happy it hasn't turned to rain yet.

RGEM says we flip to rain, very Euro like, it does show 2-3" of snow, 0.5" of sleet, 0.5" of frzn and than 0.5" of rain.  It would be one of those where we wake up Thursday morning and we would never know we had a winter storm, LOL.

Seriously, after all this hype and now we're at the day of the event and it looks more and more like nothing for us, except on the GFS. This would be 3 years of this mess. Always seems to be someway for us to end up not getting anything or for it to be way overhyped. Just sick of it now.

Seriously, after all this hype and now we're at the day of the event and it looks more and more like nothing for us, except on the GFS. This would be 3 years of this mess. Always seems to be someway for us to end up not getting anything or for it to be way overhyped. Just sick of it now.

Now there's the Brick we know!  Welcome back, my man!

Welcome to the dark side, we have been waiting for you.  Get used to it, it's the new climo for our area, CLT to GSO and points west will easily get a foot, some 18", MA will get 18-24", NE will get 18-24", historic event, just not for us.  But it will be good to watch our friends west of here get clobbered.

Can't wait to update the snow totals thread, we will be at 50% of clime and everyone else will be 150-200%.

If this turns into an all rain thing here after things were looking like a high impact winter storm, I might just have to quit following these winter storm threats. Too much time and energy wasted when you don't get anything good in return.

The models are great to look at but at this point we really need to focus on what the mterologist are saying. I've said this before, I've gained a lot of respect for RAH and how they have handeled that last few events. They have more knowledge on how the CAD will affect our weather than I think the models can depict.

The CAD can cause strange trends from models; whereas the 850s (and even the storm centers) can trend a little west while surface temps trend east.

THE GENERAL SETUP FOR THIS STORM WILL CONSIST A STRONG HIGH

SETTLING OVER NEW ENGLAND WEDNESDAY...WITH CLASSIC CAD EXPECTED TO

DEVELOP AS COLD AND DRY AIR FILTERS IN FROM THE NORTH.

Archived