joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 11-19th Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.8" with the predawn snow and 4.2" with the main event.   Not bad considering was stuck in a doughnut hole of zero snow for close to 45 mins and the event was less than 5 hrs.

same ole boring ugly hood shots after the snow ended and nothing real exciting about taking or posting  4.2" weenie shots so only gonna post a couple so not to bore and clog up a page of the thread.

Some great pics in this thread and thanks so much for sharing them.  Nice good size mood+ flake snows for the past 15 mins or so...   Good luck to those inline for this one yet tonight!

vrv868.jpg

6pouwz.jpg

2dm5bh5.jpg

.8" with the predawn snow and 4.2" with the main event.   Not bad considering was stuck in a doughnut hole of zero snow for close to 45 mins and the event was less than 5 hrs.

same ole boring ugly hood shots after the snow ended and nothing real special about taking or posting  4" weenie shot so only gonna post a couple so not to bore and clog up a page of the thread.

Some great pics in this thread and thanks so much for sharing them.  Nice good size mood+ flake snows for the past 15 mins or so...   Good luck to those inline for this one yet tonight!

vrv868.jpg

6pouwz.jpg

2dm5bh5.jpg

Nice pics Bowme and co. Glad this guy performed as expected or better.

Lol at throwing in the towel when the storm hasnt even started yet. 

Its classic SE MI posters. Never has changed, and never will. Its funny that everyone cant wait for the models to come out fast enough, but then they dont look at them. NAM hasnt had snow starting here til 8pm for I dont know how many runs. A very quick hitting heavy snowstorm is on the way with some residual light snow overnight perhaps. 3-6" was a good call and is a good call. Starting with an average snowpack of 16". Epic winter night ahead.

Oh and excellent pics to all!!!

//DISCUSSION...  

AS SNOW FILTERS INTO SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN TAF SITES ARE RAPIDLY GOING  
FROM VFR TO VLIFR IN LESS THAN AN HOUR AS MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW  
TRACK THROUGH THE REGION. DESPITE THE METRO AIRPORTS CURRENTLY  
SITTING AT VFR PLAN TO START THE TAFS AT LIFR TEMPO VLIFR GIVEN THE  
VERY FAST TRANSITION UPSTREAM SITES HAVE EXPERIENCED AS CONDITIONS  
TANK QUICKLY. THE MAIN SITE WHERE THIS WILL BE AN EXCEPTION IS DET  
GIVEN THE ARE FURTHER NORTHEAST THAN DTW AND YIP. EXPECT THESE  
CONDITIONS TO LAST THROUGH THE EVENING WITH IMPROVEMENT AFTER  
MIDNIGHT WHEN SNOW BECOMES LIGHTER. CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO  
IMPROVE TO MVFR LATE TONIGHT AND EVENTUALLY TO VFR TUESDAY MORNING  
AS THE LOW TRACKS TO THE EAST AS WINDS PICK UP BEHIND THE LOW.  
EXPECT A WIDESPREAD 3 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW...WITH 5 TO 8 INCHES AT  
MBS.  

FOR DTW...VFR CONDITIONS WILL DROP QUICKLY BELOW 1000 FEET AND 1SM  
BETWEEN 00 AND 01Z WITH ONSET OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW. RATES WILL  
THEN INCREASE RAPIDLY WITH UP TO AN INCH PER HOUR EXPECTED AT PEAK  
INTENSITY 00Z-04Z. TOTAL ACCUMULATION OF 3-6 INCHES THAT HAS BEEN  
CALLED FOR WILL LIKELY VERIFY CLOSER TO THE 6 INCH END OF THE  
RANGE.  

//DTW THRESHOLD THREATS...  

* HIGH CONFIDENCE IN CEILING BELOW 5000 FT LATE THROUGH TONIGHT.  

* HIGH CONFIDENCE IN PRECIPITATION TYPE AS SNOW.  

* MEDIUM CONFIDENCE IN VISIBILITY 1/2 MILE OR LESS IN HEAVY SNOW  
DURING THE EVENING.

Im not throwing in the towel, however this dry air is eating away a lot of our prcp to the west.. Honestly I didn't see the dry air becoming this big of a problem... 

Very windy outside tho..winds have picked up drastically.. 

What is weird is how the dry air came in AFTER the column was saturated and precip rates reaching the ground were quite impressive.

Seems like every sucker hole and dry slot found Detroit early in this event, but that is all good because I am awake now, and it should be snowing very hard within the hour. I'm sure we probably burned an inch or so off our totals but it will still be a decent event nonetheless.

Considering how great our winter has been, bound to have one potential under performer (still not set in stone on this).

Did some pre-storm depth measurments. The notable sculpted drifts are 20-30", but the more "average" snow depth has many spots of 18-21" but also spots as low as 10-13", thats why 16" is what I am going at as a good average. But whats crazy is that, say we get 4" of snow...I will be calling depth 20", but there will be many sections with over 2 feet on the ground, and this will be a powerball special quick hitter...so epic winter night ahead!!!

for YYZ:

HRRR: 3-6"

RAP: 4-6"

SREF Mean: 5.7"

I'll lock in 4-6" as my final call. Probably towards the high end of that range as the SREF mean has been kicking ass lately.

Agree with the 4-6" range. Hires models have really bumped up totals compared to this morning. HRRR wants to put a 0.6-0.7" bullseye northeast of the city along the oak ridges. SSE flow should help out a lot... not going to last long but should pack a punch between 1-4am.

Agree with the 4-6" range. Hires models have really bumped up totals compared to this morning. HRRR wants to put a 0.6-0.7" bullseye northeast of the city along the oak ridges. SSE flow should help out a lot... not going to last long but should pack a punch between 1-4am.

Only concern I have (I think you mentioned it a few days ago) is that the storm make peak and little early and tend to fall apart a bit as it heads towards us.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL  

509 PM CST MON FEB 17 2014  

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON  

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

0501 PM HEAVY SNOW CREST HILL 41.57N 88.11W  

02/17/2014 M6.6 INCH WILL IL COCORAHS  

SNOWFALL SO FAR.  

Snow onset, visibility decreasing pretty rapidly now.

I left work near ARB at 7pm to light snow. It takes me about 7 minutes to get home a few miles due east. By the time I got home, it was SN+ with ~1/8 mile visibility and with at least a quarter inch on the ground. Very quick uptick.

Archived