joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 11-19th Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What rates did they suggest? We had 1-2"/hr...and I dont think any models had more than that.

If I recall, many models had us getting about 5-6" with this burst of snow. Obviously that's not going to happen. 

The average DBZs were about 20-25. That translates to about 1/2" to 1" per hour rates assuming good ratios. 

I havent measured but i would say the initial band was nearly 2" in the first hour. This next band is heavy, not as heavy as the initial burst here, but a good 1/4 mile visib. However...looks like just spotty snow showers afterwards.

It would have been cool to see TSSN have NOT seen it since NYD 08 storm. Remember that storm? ;)

If I recall, many models had us getting about 5-6" with this burst of snow. Obviously that's not going to happen. 

The average DBZs were about 20-25. That translates to about 1/2" to 1" per hour rates assuming good ratios. 

As I recall...the models were steadfast in 0.25-0.40" qpf and everyone was assuming "this storm is ripe to overperform". Oh, and DTW ASOS (and ASOS is notorious for underdoing liquid in snowfall) had 0.13" liquid between 8-9pm. I cannot believe you are trying to say we had 0.5-1" per hour. It didnt snow a flake here til about 7:30 and by 8:30 we were near 2 inches.

It would have been cool to see TSSN have NOT seen it since NYD 08 storm. Remember that storm? ;)

Gee no...never heard of it....can you elaborate :lmao:. I have seen thundersnow since then in Mar 2008, Feb 2011 (both the Feb 1st and Feb 20th storms) and up north in Mar 2012. Think I may have seen it another time in between but Id have to think.

Gee no...never heard of it....can you elaborate :lmao:. I have seen thundersnow since then in Mar 2008, Feb 2011 (both the Feb 1st and Feb 20th storms) and up north in Mar 2012. Think I may have seen it another time in between but Id have to think.

The only times I have actually seen it. Is when I was kid staring out bedroom window was that Jan 1992 storm and of course the NYD08. So only twice. The first intense band that came through tonight I was outside to see and notta. So I will just move on :lol:   

Are you in that deeper band of snow pack between Det and Flint?

attachicon.gifssm_depth_2014021804_0_600_450__13208_5011__12534_5911_dem_shading_ilm_m_1_0_0_0_0_0.png

No I am further southeast...due east of DTW on the river. Those maps are decent but not necessarily perfect. Im aligned with I-94...snow depth at 7am this morning were 15" ARB, 16" DTW, 16" mby.

At midnight I was at 3.9" snow here with 0.34" liquid. DTW had 3.5" snow on 0.29" liquid. Downriver got slightly higher totals from thundersnow and the intense burst, and of course the highest totals are near FNT/MBS. Much of the rest of the greater Detroit area appears to be 3-3.5". However, once the last band of snow moves through overnight, most should be in the 4-5" range I suspect, so in the end it will probably be right in the forecast range.

No I am further southeast...due east of DTW on the river. Those maps are decent but not necessarily perfect. Im aligned with I-94...snow depth at 7am this morning were 15" ARB, 16" DTW, 16" mby.

At midnight I was at 3.9" snow here with 0.34" liquid. DTW had 3.5" snow on 0.29" liquid. Downriver got slightly higher totals from thundersnow and the intense burst, and of course the highest totals are near FNT/MBS. Much of the rest of the greater Detroit area appears to be 3-3.5". However, once the last band of snow moves through overnight, most should be in the 4-5" range I suspect, so in the end it will probably be right in the forecast range.

4-5" seems pretty good. Already about at 4" here, might be able to sneak out 5.

So quiet outside tonight. Really peaceful to look around at the neighborhoods all buried with snow. Winter at its finest.

In the end it turned out OK with a good 5".  Getting that early band helped.  Now sitting at a good 85"+ for the year.  FYI ... I don't keep measurement records as I travel too much (it would always end up incomplete).  Current snow pack is >20".  This winter I have seen ~100" fall with my ski trips to West MI and Northern MI.

Archived