Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
kvskelton

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say that in addition to the RAP and SREF doing well for that storm, the RGEM was a winner too.  When I have some time today I'll go back and read that thread to see how far out they zeroed in on a solution.

The HRRR did good as well didn't it? At this point I would toss the NAM and GFS and go with the Euro/RGEM/RAP/HRRR/RUC. I'm not tossing the NAM/GFS because they show less snow but because they have been inconsistent with features at the surface and upper levels. Short range models will have a much better clue as to what will happen with the higher resolutions.

Confidence is building on the Wednesday outcome. North Alabama and North Georgia met or exceeded expectations today. How'd you like that appetizer? Cold air remains in place. Moisture feed remains strong. God Bless Texas already blossoming for our main course Wednesday.

I'm an inch below MRX in along the I-75 corridor for the following reasons. Surface temperatures will get above freezing for several hours near Chattanooga. Valley is open to the south and that will get in here - as usual. Starting in Maryville and up to Knoxville I believe surface temps will stay below freezing, but moisture will take longer to arrive. Maryville is a touch higher in elevation than Chatty or even Knoxville, blocking the surface WAA. Also the Valley is oriented differently at Knoxville (almost west-east, vs open south). From about Morristown proper northeast I like MRX accumulations up through the Tri Cities. Northeast Tenn is deep in cold air and has a prolonged event overnight. Ditto for far east Kentucky and far southwest Virginia.

The comma head has some TROWAL like features on both the NAM and GFS 12Z runs. Laymen terms, 850 warm air advection (going into precip) is associated with northeast 850 winds into a colder 850 patch to its southwest. The feature will only be about 30 miles wide, but it will enhance snowfall totals where it tracks. Keep in mind it will be narrower than progged. NAM has it tracking from North Alabama to Chatty on toward southwest NC. For me and the Chatty crew, wouldn't that be nice? GFS has it starting earlier out of northeast Mississippi, through North Alabama, into Tennessee across the Plateau and onto Knoxville. Such a track would get the Plateau nicely involved - maybe even BNA. MRX accumulations will be right where the feature tracks. Otherwise, I like an inch or maybe even 2 inches less. 

North Alabama and North Georgia snowfall totals may be too aggressive, depends on temps. North Alabama will spend some time above freezing, like Chatty, but they do enjoy higher qpf. Northwest Georgia may get above freezing for a few hours, but still good qpf. Perfect storm track, and those verify. Northeast Georgia looks good for a lot of snow and sleet, but damaging ice south of there. Kind of getting ouf of our zone into the Southeast, so I'll leave it there.

Tennessee and this side of the Apps is looking good for snow and no ice biz. Have fun anticipating and tracking it. Watch the evolution of the precipitation shield out of Texas into Louisiana. One may be able to get at early track changes from there. Pick the better performing model.

FYI, Cobb output from the 12z GFS has no snow accumulation in the lower elevations of east TN. I don't know what the clown map above is based on, but it doesn't agree with the Cobb output at all. I'm starting to worry that this may wind up being an event only for those over 1500'.

This has been the case for the past two days with the GFS and NAM, they are warm at the surface and Cobbing low for central/southern valley. The maps are 10:1 and just a relative guide.

Winter Storm Warning 
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MORRISTOWN TN

331 PM EST TUE FEB 11 2014

...SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS POSSIBLE OVER MUCH OF EAST

TENNESSEE...SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA...AND EXTREME SOUTHWEST NORTH

CAROLINA BY EARLY THURSDAY MORNING...

.A STRONG UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE WILL MOVE ACROSS THE TENNESSEE

RIVER VALLEY ON WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT...PULLING

MOISTURE WESTWARD FROM A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM ALONG THE CAROLINA

COAST. THIS SYSTEM WILL BRING THE POSSIBILITY OF SIGNIFICANT

SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OVER MUCH OF EAST TENNESSEE...SOUTHWEST

VIRGINIA...AND EXTREME SOUTHWEST NORTH CAROLINA BY EARLY THURSDAY

MORNING.

TNZ014-036>040-067>071-073-120500-

/O.UPG.KMRX.WS.A.0004.140212T1500Z-140213T1200Z/

/O.NEW.KMRX.WS.W.0005.140212T1500Z-140213T1200Z/

CLAIBORNE-ANDERSON-UNION-GRAINGER-HAMBLEN-NORTHWEST COCKE-ROANE-

LOUDON-KNOX-JEFFERSON-NW BLOUNT-NORTH SEVIER-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...TAZEWELL...CLINTON...OAK RIDGE...

MAYNARDVILLE...RUTLEDGE...MORRISTOWN...NEWPORT...KINGSTON...

LENOIR CITY...KNOXVILLE...DANDRIDGE...MARYVILLE...SEVIERVILLE

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING

UNTIL 7 AM THURSDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MORRISTOWN HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM WEDNESDAY

MORNING UNTIL 7 AM THURSDAY MORNING.

* EVENT...SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES WILL

BE POSSIBLE.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN MID MORNING ON WEDNESDAY...AND WILL

CONTINUE THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...DRIVING AND WALKING WILL BE DANGEROUS ON UNTREATED

ROADWAYS AND SIDEWALKS. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND

LIMITED VISIBILITIES. TRAVEL IS DISCOURAGED. IF TRAVEL IS

UNAVOIDABLE...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR

VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER

CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. IN ADDITION...SNOWFALL

INTENSITIES WILL BE HEAVY ENOUGH TO SUBSTANTIALLY REDUCE

VISIBILITIES AT TIMES.

&&

$

MRX discussion also ups snow totals... 

MODELS STILL SHOWING DIFFERENCES IN SYSTEM WITH GFS...CANADIAN AND
ECMWF SHOWING A DEEPER TROUGH DIGGING SOUTH WEDNESDAY THROUGH
THURSDAY OVER THE EASTERN STATES AND SURFACE LOW TRACKING FROM THE
NE GULF ACROSS NORTH FLORIDA AND UP THE EAST COAST COMPARED TO THE
NAM. THIS DEEPER TROUGH IS EXPECTED TO INDUCE MORE LIFT OVER EAST TN
AND ADJACENT NC MOUNTAINS WEDNESDAY AND SHIFTING NORTHEAST WEDNESDAY
NIGHT WITH SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL EXPECTED. INCREASED QPF AMOUNTS
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT AS MODELS SHOWING INCREASED
FORCING DURING THAT TIME PERIOD. INCREASED TOTAL SNOWFALL AMOUNTS A
COUPLE INCHES EASTERN MOUNTAINS AND NORTHEAST AND AROUND ONE INCH
TENNESSEE VALLEY AND NORTHERN PLATEAU.

So with that in mind, I guess now 4"-6" valley and 8"-12" mountains...

still has me at 3-5 but point and shoot has 2-4 tomorrow, 1-3 tomorrow night, so 3-7 possible

I don't think they have updated all their products yet.  Think they fired the warning off, and discussion before updating all of their forecast products.  So may be a bit before all the individual products and graphics are updated reflecting what they mention in their disco.

MRX discussion also ups snow totals... 

So with that in mind, I guess now 4"-6" valley and 8"-12" mountains...

Winter Storm Warning for TRI and parts of SWVA has us at 5 to 7 inches.

TNZ015>017-042-044-046-VAZ001-002-005-006-008-120500-

/O.UPG.KMRX.WS.A.0004.140212T1800Z-140213T1200Z/

/O.NEW.KMRX.WS.W.0005.140212T1800Z-140213T1200Z/

HANCOCK-HAWKINS-SULLIVAN-NORTHWEST GREENE-WASHINGTON TN-

NORTHWEST CARTER-LEE-WISE-SCOTT-RUSSELL-WASHINGTON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SNEEDVILLE...ROGERSVILLE...KINGSPORT...

BRISTOL...GREENEVILLE...JOHNSON CITY...ELIZABETHTON...

JONESVILLE...WISE...NORTON...GATE CITY...LEBANON...ABINGDON

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

UNTIL 7 AM THURSDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MORRISTOWN HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM WEDNESDAY

AFTERNOON UNTIL 7 AM THURSDAY MORNING.

* EVENT...SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 7 INCHES WILL

BE POSSIBLE.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...AND WILL CONTINUE

THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

Wow, yeah it does look the models are bouncing back our way. Anyone have any analysis on the forecast as it stands on the current radar and satellite?

The NAM simulated radar had the precip contained to Texas and the very tip of Southeastern Louisiana right now. The radar has blossomed over a much larger area and it already streaking across Southern Oklahoma and Arkansas. The southern 1/3 of Louisiana is also covered already.

The NAM simulated radar had the precip contained to Texas and the very tip of Southeastern Louisiana right now. The radar has blossomed over a much larger area and it already streaking across Southern Oklahoma and Arkansas. The southern 1/3 of Louisiana is also covered already.

I noticed that Little Rock NWS even put out a SPS this afternoon for their southern CWA for the chance of frozen precip.  This was definitely not advertised.  Just seems more moist than modeled.

Someone over in the SE thread posted a quote from the WPC. They are not buying into the further westward track of the Euro. They basically said that although it has been consistent they don't believe the phasing will happen as early as the Euro is showing.

The were wrong, the WPC is using a blend of the 12z Euro/12z UkIe and the 12z GFSens. 

The 12z UKIE also shows a larger area of .4-.6 qpf over a bigger portion of Tennessee with .75+ for lots of East Tn.

Archived