joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 13-14 potential snow storm

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great last few pages with some awesome input from the pros.  Question, based on your "what if" scenario: is there any capability to run what I'd call "future state ensembles," i.e., running the GFS ensembles out 24 hours and taking the ensemble run with the strongest southern vort on the GFS (as you suggested in your what if) and then inputting a new set of "initial conditions 24 hours out" and then letting the run go out a few days, just to see if one would end up with a new "future ensemble mean" that is similar to the NAM (or some other model) at 84 hours?  Not sure what that would show with regard to the actual reality of what will happen, but it would be at least interesting to see if different models with similar starting points (24 hours into the future) would produce similar output at, say 84 hours. 

Unfortunately it is difficult enough to try and run numerical models based on current initial atmospheric states as is (hence exactly why we use ensembles). I do not know of any research efforts being done into running models with initial conditions anticipated 24 hours out in advance. However, I am assuming that some of the ensembles are running initial states currently that are taking into account different perturbations in that GL disturbance as is that would theoretically have the downstream influences on it that we are hoping to look for.

Thanks, figured it was a low probability that people were modeling "what if" future scenarios off of partial results for a given model run, but it does seem like a cool idea to see the sensitivity of the divergence of models to specific conditions at various points in the evolution of the model's output.  But I see what you're saying, to a degree, in that we're already seeing divergence from the actual initial conditions across multiple models - and I imagine it's not like there's computing power to spare - plus, as an academic exercise, this would be relatively easy to do in hindcast mode. 

Just a quick comment about the 0z NAM in case it wasn't mentioned.  Despite the impressive mid and upper level setup, this is a fairly quick hitting burst of heavy frontside precip.  At hour 84 you can really see the precip on the NW quadrant gets squashed.  This is similar to the 12z Euro depiction that the best precip is well out ahead of the SLP and wraparound is light

I always stay up for the Euro when there's a decent chance of a snowstorm. In fact, as I said earlier today, when I was out of the house from 1-4 pm, I knew the Euro had blown up when I got back at 4, simply because there were 5 new pages of posts - when the Euro tanks, it's one page and done, lol. 

I always stay up for the Euro when there's a decent chance of a snowstorm. In fact, as I said earlier today, when I was out of the house from 1-4 pm, I knew the Euro had blown up when I got back at 4, simply because there were 5 new pages of posts - when the Euro tanks, it's one page and done, lol.

Yea, the same here. When I am gone for a bit, I always know by the pages. Funny how this board operates..LOL

Archived