• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 13-14 potential snow storm

Mikehobbyst

I've been preparing for weeks since some 15 year olds Facebook account told me to build a storm shelter based off the 370 hour ECM Control runs ensemble control runs means control run.

Hows the storm shelter going? Does it atleast have wi-fi so we can still get your input while the storm of the century is going on above ground? :lol:

Btw glad to see some more humor being injected into these threads during storms as well to have some fun as well. Yes its a weather forum made for constructive analysis and model interpretation but the laughs make it that much better john

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been preparing for weeks since some 15 year olds Facebook account told me to build a storm shelter based off the 370 hour ECM Control runs ensemble control runs means control run.

strongly agree about the 6-12 comment. Disagree about milk and bread....should buy beer and ice cream :-)

It's amazing how much people buy into that garbage, hopefully we can get a bunch of Q&A's in later today/prior to now casting. 

The overnight SREF were obviously at the very end of their range so not putting too much stock into it. But the agreement is becoming fairly remarkable for a big storm amongst all guidance and most notably including ensemble means. The SREF are leaning heavily NW and hinting at a similar potential as the Euro Ensembles with a track just S of LI. That would really be ideal for a lot of people here to be able to maximize dynamics. We will see what the new SREF are hinting at in a few minutes.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=087ℑ=data%2Fsref%2F03%2Fsref_namer_087_mslp.gif&model=sref&area=namer&param=mslp&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=

The overnight SREF were obviously at the very end of their range so not putting too much stock into it. But the agreement is becoming fairly remarkable for a big storm amongst all guidance and most notably including ensemble means. The SREF are leaning heavily NW and hinting at a similar potential as the Euro Ensembles with a track just S of LI. That would really be ideal for a lot of people here to be able to maximize dynamics. We will see what the new SREF are hinting at in a few minutes.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=087ℑ=data%2Fsref%2F03%2Fsref_namer_087_mslp.gif&model=sref&area=namer&param=mslp&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=

Wouldn't we have to worry about a dryslot with a track like that though?

I'm not too concerned about where the 850 0c area gets on the ensembles. If the surface low tracks where they say it will there will be tremendous evap/dynam cooling with enhanced lift.

Higher SDs indicate a large amount of Euro ENS members are over Delmarva with the slp. Probably explain why 850mb temps are a little warm on the mean:

317jp6g.jpg

Higher SDs indicate a large amount of Euro ENS members are over Delmarva with the slp. Probably explain why 850mb temps are a little warm:

317jp6g.jpg

I'm actually not too concerned about a track that'll be too far west for us, so long as the models are reasonably accurate with their evolution of the kicker over the Great Lakes.

The signal for this being wrapped up and very strong is really exciting for the dynamic potential. That will really help us even if the airmass is somewhat marginal along the coasts.

Hell if tracks 50-75 miles off the coast to the BM even the coast would probably stay all snow with the dynamics in play and get slammed hard as well paul.

Ryan , the dynamics are there the Euro OP QPF is 1.5 plus area wide . At 72 hours you are getting close  , so yes the Euro is furthest west but it`s strength is in the southern branch . 50 - 75 mile details still have some time to shake out  , but you are getting close to seeing where that center is  gona be in relation to AC .

I said yesterday and  I know its not 100 full proof , but without a cold high anchored here and a track inside Hatteras you ride the coast and   that  would cook u and me  during it`s height  IMO .

Every model is east of the Euro , but for me they have trended towards the Euro , so I am way more curious to see whats up at 1 , then what the NAM or GFS says ( although all guidance is important ) . I  like the Euro

Ryan , the dynamics are there the Euro OP QPF is 1.5 plus area wide . At 72 hours you are getting close , so yes the Euro is furthest west but it`s strength is in the southern branch . 50 - 75 mile details still have some time to shake out , but you are getting close to seeing where that center is gona be in relation to AC .

I said yesterday and I know its not 100 full proof , but without a cold high anchored here and a track inside Hatteras you ride the coast and that would cook u and me during it`s height IMO .

Every model is east of the Euro , but for me they have trended towards the Euro , so I am way more curious to see whats up at 1 , then what the NAM or GFS says ( although all guidance is important ) . I like the Euro

Well according to the new 9z SREF the LP was off the coast of NC and took almost a perfect BM track at 87 hrs. That was very reassuring. The strength of the GL low will be one of the important determining factors as well with the track of this storm

As far as major coastal storms are concerned, I have not seen such an impressive Euro Ensemble run at this range in a long while. 84-96 hour has a 1000mb low over OBX deepen to 988 inside the benchmark.

On an ensemble mean of 51 members, extremely impressive.

I think the last time may have been last February over LI and NE with the phase bomb miracle thread the needle storm.

I'm actually not too concerned about a track that'll be too far west for us, so long as the models are reasonably accurate with their evolution of the kicker over the Great Lakes.

The signal for this being wrapped up and very strong is really exciting for the dynamic potential. That will really help us even if the airmass is somewhat marginal along the coasts.

I think the kicker, will likely nudge this further east too. Just showing why the ensemble mean is a little warm at 850mb 0C. It's not really based slp track the mean shows.

The previous run of the SREF's were too far out of range to discuss QPF comparisons to the new run.

Also remember that the SREFS are biased too far east at these ranges like the GFS since the ARWs are initialized

off the GFS. Once the GFS comes west, so will the SREF mean.

Archived