• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 13-14 potential snow storm

Mikehobbyst

Hopefully, the Euro continues with the closed low scenario right up to the storm.

Geopotential3250032hPa32and32Temperature32at3285032hPa_North32America_96.gif

With the air mass not being the best we need the storm to bomb out and close off at H5 whilst taking a BM to have all snow on LI which i think is quite possible. The EURO is just inside the BM so that is of good comfort

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would listen to a few great posters on here like earth light before even watching the news weathermen / women

I would listen to a few great posters on here like earth light before even watching the news weathermen / women

Pretty sure the guy was a pro met not a weatherman. Just thought it odd to be jumping on the bandwagon so early.

With the air mass not being the best we need the storm to bomb out and close off at H5 whilst taking a BM to have all snow on LI which i think is quite possible. The EURO is just inside the BM so that is of good comfort

We usually do well here if the h500 closes off even if there is mixing issues at some point in the storm at coast.

Still too soon for P-types and exact track. Christmas 2002 shows how a closed low can compensate for

the lack of a high if things break just right. We need that closed low at the coast if this tracks too

close to the coast like 2002 or other huggers. At least this time we don't have the primary 

cutting west of us.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/ewall/NARR/2002/us1225.php

We usually do well here if the h500 closes off even if there is mixing issues at some point in the storm at coast.

Still too soon for P-types and exact track. Christmas 2002 shows how a closed low can compensate for

the lack of a high if things break just right. We need that closed low at the coast if this tracks too

close to the coast like 2002 or other huggers.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/ewall/NARR/2002/us1225.php

In general though chris i feel save for a christmas 2002 occurence that counting on a changeover back to +SN is always tough on LI. I do like that almost all models have the LP closing off for a good amount of time so that will only help the freezing line stay off the coast or atleast at bay depending on the track to be determined. Also the GL kicker if it does strengthen a bit it would throw a monkey wrench in there as well

In general though chris i feel save for a christmas 2002 occurence that counting on a changeover back to +SN is always tough on LI. I do like that almost all models have the LP closing off for a good amount of time so that will only help the freezing line stay off the coast or atleast at bay depending on the track to be determined. Also the GL kicker if it does strengthen a bit it would throw a monkey wrench in there as well

right now that GL kicker is our saving grace else this would be an inside runner imho.

I like the fact that 7 GEFS members are showing the low closing off like the Euro.

One of the things discussed yesterday was the influence of the upstream northern shortwave In terms of inducing a sharper precip cutoff on the western side. Not saying this is what the NAM is depicting (could be right for the wrong reason), but it could play out that way - the fringe may be a precipitous cliff, something not all that uncommon.

Thank you for coming in here and pointing these kind of things out...stuff like this is why amateurs like me keep coming here to learn.

Driving Chris. Assume GEFS is NW of op.

There are several scenarios with this one at this point. Long Island could get a front end thump if the low

huggs the coast before mixing and possibly going back to snow on the CCB as the 850 line collapses

south into the closed low. The other is that the storm stays a little further east and is colder(snowier) if the

kicker comes out faster high holds on longer. The worst scenario would be no close off and a coastal hugger.

As far as major coastal storms are concerned, I have not seen such an impressive Euro Ensemble run at this range in a long while. 84-96 hour has a 1000mb low over OBX deepen to 988 inside the benchmark.

On an ensemble mean of 51 members, extremely impressive.

John thanks for dropping in. Consensus for areas N&W of I-95 currently is they stay all snow. The problem is going to be from NYC and points south and east to stay all snow or atleast cut down on the mixing. A deepening LP that closes off with a track around the BM in my eyes should negate any concerns for this as it "should" help pull as much cold air into the system.

I'm not too concerned about where the 850 0c area gets on the ensembles. If the surface low tracks where they say it will there will be tremendous evap/dynam cooling with enhanced lift.

You  just don't need this to kiss AC . Or we get cooked for a while .  The dynamics would take over as the center is east of you.

You do want it 50 miles off the coast to be safe  . 

You just don't need this to kiss AC . Or we get cooked for a while . The dynamics would take over as the center is east of you.

You do want it 50 miles off the coast to be safe .

Well, yeah. Any time you start kissing the coast you're flooding warm air very near the storm at the very least into LI/NYC. No matter how cold the airmass is. But with the H5 track I am comfortable with this tracking 50-75 miles east of LBI and then near Block island, as long as the kicker isn't pressing on the CCB and shrinking the best lift area.

Those are usually how we get our best CCB's anyway. Closed H5, surface low tucking in just S of LI.

Well, yeah. Any time you start kissing the coast you're flooding warm air very near the storm at the very least into LI/NYC. No matter how cold the airmass is. But with the H5 track I am comfortable with this tracking 50-75 miles east of LBI and then near Block island, as long as the kicker isn't pressing on the CCB and shrinking the best lift area.

Those are usually how we get our best CCB's anyway. Closed H5, surface low tucking in just S of LI.

You guys should go buy bread and milk . Think u get smashed  , this is not 6 to 12

Archived