joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 13-14 potential snow storm

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mt. Holly going with "probable snowstorm."  And even if there is a changeover near the coast or even inland to I-95, it will come after a nice front end thump of snow.  Looks like a fairly classic nor'easter with wind gusts up to 45 mph at the coast - and we know what that means if it's snow at the time...

WEDNESDAY NIGHT - MIDDAY THURSDAY...PROBABLY A SNOWSTORM. TRACK
STILL UNCERTAIN SO THIS 330 AM DETERMINISTIC FCST WILL HAVE
ADJUSTMENTS. THE MIXED PRECIP WORDING INDICATES UNCERTAINTY AND
ALSO SPEAKS OF WARMING ALOFT. THE SFC HIGH IS ON THE EAST SIDE OF
THIS LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM...A BAD SIGN FOR AN EASTWARD TRACK WHICH
MEANS A WARMER WESTWARD SOLN IS STILL POSSIBLE...AT LEAST FOR I95
SEWD.

SINCE THERE IS SO MUCH COLD AIR IN PLACE TO START...THAT SHOULD
ALLOW SNOW MOST OF THE AREA FOR THE FIRST FEW HOURS WITH A SNOW
TO RAIN SITUATION EVOLVING NORTHWARD..AT LEAST FOR THE COASTAL
PLAIN. NE WIND SHOULD GUST 20 TO 30 MPH EXCEPT POTENTIALLY
45 MPH ALONG THE COAST.

STORM TRACK AND DETAILS OF SNOW AMOUNTS VS RAIN ETC TO BE MORE
ACCURATELY DETERMINED WITH TIME.

A SNOW MAP...PRELIM IDEA OF OUR EXPECTATIONS THROUGH 7AM THURSDAY
WILL POST AROUND 530 AM ALONG WITH A FBOOK NOTE AND TWEET.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=OKX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

UPTON @ 4:22AM:

CONFIDENCE IS INCREASING ON A COASTAL STORM BRINGING A MODERATE TO
HEAVY SNOWFALL TO THE CWA WED NIGHT INTO THU NIGHT...AND SO BUMPED
POP UP TO CATEGORICAL FOR WED NIGHT-THU AND LIKELY IN SOME SPOTS FOR
THU EVENING...BUT THERE ARE STILL QUESTIONS AS TO PRECIP
AMTS/TYPES...AND THE AXIS OF MAX QPF/SNOWFALL. TRIED TO SMOOTH OUT
SOME OF THESE DIFFERENCES WITH A 10/00Z ECMWF AND 09/12Z ECMWF
BLEND...WITH A MORE OFFSHORE TRACK AND POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY SNOW
ESPECIALLY INLAND. THE 00Z ECMWF IS WETTER AND WARMER...WITH A GOOD
DEAL OF SNOWFALL BEFORE P-TYPE EVEN BECOMES AN ISSUE ON
THU...CHANGING TO MIXED WINTRY PRECIP FOR NYC METRO AND COASTAL
CT...AND EITHER RAIN OR A WINTRY MIX AT THE COAST. THE 12Z ECMWF IS
COLDER...WITH AN ALL SNOW EVENT EXCEPT FOR ERN LONG ISLAND AND SE CT
WHERE A RAIN/SNOW MIX COULD OCCUR...BUT LESS WET. ATTM USED MODEL
BLEND SFC WET-BULB TEMPS AS AN INDICATOR OF THE RAIN/SNOW
LINE...BRINGING A RAIN/SNOW MIX MAINLY INTO CENTRAL/ERN LONG ISLAND
AND SE DURING THE DAY ON THU.

clearly an obx to the bm track is in play here as well.

The fact that the euro ens. Were a bit east of the BM is comforting when you blend the GFS/EURO track which would equate to a BM track and deliver loads of snow to NYC/LI and points N&W. Also keep in mind a storm this magnitude will draw down and incorporate colder air into the system as well. These are one of the storms where they can make "their own cold air"

The fact that the euro ens. Were a bit east of the BM is comforting when you blend the GFS/EURO track which would equate to a BM track and deliver loads of snow to NYC/LI and points N&W. Also keep in mind a storm this magnitude will draw down and incorporate colder air into the system as well. These are one of the storms where they can make "their own cold air"

I love where both of us sit right now....very close but not quite in the bullseye attm....perfect!

I love where both of us sit right now....very close but not quite in the bullseye attm....perfect!

We almost are ralph but im not sold on that coastal hugger im still liking the OBX-BM track as lots of the model ensembles mean are leaning that way and also these storms love to ride the warmer SST's as well

For Long Island at this point I would go SN to RA/SN mix. Only because the high pressure will be in a bad spot for coastal sections. However strong dynamic are in play which could keep this an all snow event even down to the coast. A strong low pressure like this can introduce wet-bulb processes, and even isallobaric wind factors for a bombing storm. The isallobaric wind factor can help turn an unfavorable wind direction to a more favorable one. 

For Long Island at this point I would go SN to RA/SN mix. Only because the high pressure will be in a bad spot for coastal sections. However strong dynamic are in play which could keep this an all snow event even down to the coast. A strong low pressure like this can introduce wet-bulb processes, and even isallobaric wind factors for a bombing storm. The isallobaric wind factor can help turn an unfavorable wind direction to a more favorable one.

I stand by a near BM track and the low bombing out rapidly. With the kind of sharp dynamics in play i think LI may not mix at all save for E. LI. The NAM is typically amped/warm and the EURO ensembles are now a bit east of the BM but still a powerful LP

I stand by a near BM track and the low bombing out rapidly. With the kind of sharp dynamics in play i think LI may not mix at all save for E. LI. The NAM is typically amped/warm and the EURO ensembles are now a bit east of the BM but still a powerful LP

The Euro Ens are not east of the BM.  They are east of their 0z op run by a bit.  That's a MAJOR difference here.

New nam is odd, no meaningful precip west of e pa and very tight snow shield....

One of the things discussed yesterday was the influence of the upstream northern shortwave In terms of inducing a sharper precip cutoff on the western side. Not saying this is what the NAM is depicting (could be right for the wrong reason), but it could play out that way - the fringe may be a precipitous cliff, something not all that uncommon.

Saw a met on TV this morning one of the cable nbc stations saying a quick 6-12 thurs from western NC all the way up the ocast. he had all the big cities in snow.To me it is still too far out to say. Seen everything this year.

I would listen to a few great posters on here like earth light before even watching the news weathermen / women

Archived