• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and The Fringes - February 2014 Part II

So winds this afternoon, 15-20, are going to cause bigger issues won't they? All the heavy branches and lines flying in the winds doesn't pain a sustainable picture for electricity.

My wife didn't go to work, god love her she is shoveling our driveway and walks, she said we still have light frzn. We have nothing here at work, you?

djr, you still have frzn?

I honestly just went out and told the couple guys who came in if they want to go home they can leave.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife didn't go to work, god love her she is shoveling our driveway and walks, she said we still have light frzn. We have nothing here at work, you?

djr, you still have frzn?

I honestly just went out and told the couple guys who came in if they want to go home they can leave.

light rain right now still sitting at 32 degrees... had just over an inch of sleet before the change to fzra overnight so it is so packed down and frozen it takes too much effort to clear

light rain right now still sitting at 32 degrees... had just over an inch of sleet before the change to fzra overnight so it is so packed down and frozen it takes too much effort to clear

thats what she said. I have this gut feeling, its now going to get worse compared to overnight. With the scanner activity and reports i'm hearing from people in the township about trees leaning, wires sagging etc.

thats what she said. I have this gut feeling, its now going to get worse compared to overnight. With the scanner activity and reports i'm hearing from people in the township about trees leaning, wires sagging etc.

that and crews having trouble getting to some spots because of trees being down on some roads

Hey everyone...managed to sleep in til around 9:30 so 6 hours sleep.  I need to go out and measure ice accretion.  Many trees are leaning but it doesn't look like anything significant has come down...yet.  Ground is ridiculous.  Let the dog out back and he slid on top of the snow/ice without falling through. 

My temp reached 32.0 around 10:00am and is now up to 32.5.  Never lost power, thankfully.  I live in a townhouse so do not have to worry about any trees falling over against or on top of the house.  Sidewalks and street a big mess right now.  No one is outside and no car activity on my street.

Like others have said, if we don't manage to melt off a significant portion of the ice this afternoon, when the winds pick up the whole thing may worsen instantly.  I hope not.  Then, it looks like we don't go back above freezing through this upcoming weekend.

Will go to measure accretion and report back shortly.

Well my tally for IPT area was 7" at around 7:00 am this morning. Was cleaning things up and started getting rain and freezing stuff. I quit...gonna get the compact out with the bucket and clean it up right. :)

Thanks for all the snow wishes up here....It worked!!

Not sure what Wmsptwx total was. But he is a stone throw across the river.

Mallow your up to bat on the next one buddy!!

Okay, just went out to measure.  Very close to 0.2" of accretion.  Some spots 1/8th and some 3/16ths.  The best object to have measured it on was my windshield wipers!  I put them in their position off the windshield last night and they accreted the heaviest with around 5/16ths of an inch.  So I am content to call it 0.2" avg.

Of course my anemometer is frozen solid up on top of my roof.  Have to wait for natural melting to free it up.

Temp up to 32.7 and some dripping is going on now.  It's going to have to get quite a bit warmer to melt off a significant portion of the ice.  Hope we get a little sunshine here this afternoon because that'll be it for the melting for some time.

Have maybe up to tenth of freezing rain here, which is pretty run of the mill for a mix event around these parts. What was not run of the mill was the 1.5" of sleet.. which has made things extremely difficult to shovel and plow. Pretty much a storm total of 3.8" of frozen (compacted down to about 3") with the 2.3" of snow and 1.5" of sleet. It's going to be ski resort base worthy when things cool off tonight. 

So far this February, south central has been the bullseye, north central has been the bullseye... can it be our turn here in "true central" next time, please? :P

Could you temporarily adopt me into true central Pennsylvania?  :hug:  I got quite a bit less than the southern tier got with both December events and the recent ones I have come up short on too like with the Monday event I got 4.2" while MDT got 6+".  Looks like Monday's event has just put me over the 20" mark for the entire season.

What's your total up there so far?

BTW...as you can see to the left we have gone from the tropics to the arctic over at Capital City Airport. lol

Actually their temp sensor is still not working apparently.  I think someone from State College (CTP) is responsible for maintaining the ASOS equipment at the airports.  They've had their hands full lately with all the storminess.

Archived