• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter

POWERSTROKE

Agree, the front end is our chance for a good snow, or I should say was our chance. Still think that GSP/CLT is in a great spot for the front end snow, still like 8-10" for them. RDU is just to far north.

If you get a good feed of moisture like the RGEM has then it will happen for RDU. Hopefully the NAM can come back around to a solution like it had yesterday. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you notice this period ends 1am Tues. from my research here...the heaviest precip will be well after that.

Yep you could probably tack on 2 inches or so. I feel very confident we get at least 4 inches here. Been a long time since I was in that zone where I could be the bullseye. Still a few days to go though. 

Where's your optimism from yesterday?

You know things are bad when we're excited about the chance of seeing 2" of snow.

I would take 2" of snow right now, hasn't happened since 2010 for RDU. Probably looking at 1" with sleet/frzn to all rain. Three small events this year ain't bad.

Wasn't really bummed about the NAM but the RGEM definitely is a bummer.  Where is Widre at, this is going to be an epic failure again, only this time we don't get model runs bumping up precip as we get closer only to fall apart as it starts, this will be a case where the QPF just trickles down off the models like an hour glass.  We will be rationalizing every day, well 3-5" is great....well 2-4" is OK....1-2" would still be a victory...a light glaze on the trees is our best shot.

Bump...looks like we are at the 1-2" would still be a victory stage...

Just got up and read the storm thread from last nights discussion.... It was very informative.... Ol' Shawn told us a good 40 times about how scared he is of the incoming ice storm.... And what would I do w/o knowing the total qpf for frostys backyard after every model run? Lmao guys, please know, I'm joking.

Regardless, I digest(eating breakfast....)

Not sure what Atlanta is doing under a winter storm watch. I guess they are preventing another disaster, but they are probably going to get all rain especially in situations like these.

Agree, but not because I don't think there won't be snow, but because their snowfall forecast for this first round would suggest nothing higher than a WWA criteria at best.

image_full1.gif

Agree, but not because I don't think there won't be snow, but because their snowfall forecast for this first round would suggest nothing higher than a WWA criteria at best.

This has been addressed many times.  A winter storm watch is just that.... a watch.  Going from a winter storm watch to a winter weather advisory is not a downgrade.

This has been addressed many times.  A winter storm watch is just that.... a watch.  Going from a winter storm watch to a winter weather advisory is not a downgrade.

I never said that. :huh:

EDIT: I guess I don't understand why a WWA couldn't serve the same purpose of a Winter Storm Watch like you said just to watch, wait, and see how things evolve.

Nope, huge bust for us again, places south and east did. The coast jackpotted. We got 1.5" officially.

Wake Forest got 3 inches.

But 90% of the time the big one never works out for central NC. Something seems to happen 48 hours out to make it either north, south, east, or west of us. Even more the last three years. It seems to be all around us but not right here.

I guess it could still be a mess here this week, though. A few inches of snow with ice on top would still be bad for driving. And it could cause power outages depending on how much ice we get. Also, RaleighWx seems to think the last Euro op is too far west with the low, and the ensembles support that. He said the mean still has 7 inches of snow for RDU.

Whatever will happen will happen. And we have seen systems come in bigger than forecasted before. But also lesser than forecasted. It really can go either way.

Archived