Chicago Storm

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL  

102 PM CST SAT FEB 01 2014  

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON  

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

0102 PM SNOW PEOTONE 41.33N 87.80W  

02/01/2014 M6.0 INCH WILL IL COCORAHS

As sloppy as it is today, not too bad for your first Michigan winter huh? :lmao:;)

Really hoping this line makes some progress FAST. Not a fan of the dripping, i dont care how deep the snow is.

I know, 31F yesterday felt like t-shirt wx! :lmao: 

Had 4.7" before the changeover, so no complaints from me.

I know, 31F yesterday felt like t-shirt wx! :lmao: 

Had 4.7" before the changeover, so no complaints from me.

Best banding set up from ARB to DET (my area) with the 30-35 DBZ returns, so it's no surprise that's where the 4-5" amounts are being found. It was one of those times where the snow just steadily picked up in intensity from the start. 

Probably will somehow tack on another 1-3" this evening. 

Normally when SE MI is flipping to rain chicago and up to MKE would have been ripping out a text book run of the mill 6-10" event instead we end up with another stat padding 2-4" event.  One of the best winters in a while for cold, snow cover, and DAB+ events but its missing a few pieces for this to be a winter to remember west of lake mi on the good side of the border and back to iowa.   Congrats though to MI and the beat looks to carry at least through mid febuary and we all know there is still a ways to go after that for a big dog.. Hell just give us one legit warning event.

Normally when SE MI is flipping to rain chicago and up to MKE would have been ripping out a text book run of the mill 6-10" event instead we end up with another stat padding 2-4" event.  One of the best winters in a while for cold, snow cover, and DAB+ events but its missing a few pieces for this to be a winter to remember west of lake mi on the good side of the border and back to iowa.   Congrats though to MI and the beat looks to carry at least through mid febuary and we all know there is still a ways to go after that for a big dog.. Hell just give us one legit warning event.

But for many areas, the only thing missing to make this winter flawless is the southern stream big dog (I.E. 1967, 1978, 1999, March 2008, GHD 2011, etc.).

All the southern stream systems this winter have been crap, as the moisture with them fail to wrap back to the cold sector (as the shortwaves are either too weak to close off or get sheared apart too quickly).

But that's something for the complaint thread

Seems IND likes some changeover fun for tonight. We'll see. Zone forecast for LAF.

.TONIGHT...SNOW...POSSIBLY MIXED WITH FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET...
THEN CHANCE OF SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT. SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION
AROUND 2 INCHES. A LIGHT ICE ACCUMULATION AS WELL. LOWS AROUND 19.
NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION NEAR 100
PERCENT.

I will be really surprised if we beat Chicago with this system, although of course ours was snow to rain to snow, theirs all snow. Working on 2.5-3" water content in our snowpack here...thats up north stuff. Im going to do a core sample tomorrow.

Archived