CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 30-February 3rd Wave Train Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just went outside now that the precip stopped. Looks like at least IMBY, we lost all of the snow we gained over the morning hours. :axe:

Snow depth looks to be about 9 or 10 inches. Might be able to nudge ourselves back up to where we were earlier for a net gain now that temps are dropping and a little snow is on the way to freshen things up.

Also, there's like a solid inch of water standing on all the sidewalks right now. That could get nasty later on.

You probably didnt lose it all, but I dont blame you for just guesstimating that.

I started the day with avg depth 10", was up to 13", now Im 11". Also...the spot I had cleared when we had 3.2" of snow that turned to rain is now 1.4" of slush. Walking through the snow I can honestly say I can never remember snowpack like this. I imagine its what it is like walking through quicksand. We probably have about 3" of water in our 11" depth. Then of course there are plenty of 12-14" spots plus some bigger drifts that have all the more water. Plus much more noticeable is how we further added to the mountain snowbanks so it seems like more. Once the smoke clears (ie the slush freezes) our winter wonderland has definitely increased from this expected slop storm, so Im not really all that mad. This will-be glacier is solidifying our chance to see a record snowcover streak while we are at it. In this winter, it fits :)

Just went outside now that the precip stopped. Looks like at least IMBY, we lost all of the snow we gained over the morning hours. :axe:

Snow depth looks to be about 9 or 10 inches. Might be able to nudge ourselves back up to where we were earlier for a net gain now that temps are dropping and a little snow is on the way to freshen things up.

Also, there's like a solid inch of water standing on all the sidewalks right now. That could get nasty later on.

Already turning into a sheet of ice here.

After a hour or so break the snow is falling again.  Just did the driveway and about 5" before it started back up has fallen.  My family is just praising God & loving this winter!! :snowing:  :snowwindow:

Heading out to do some night :sled:

So I'm dying to ask and hear your response...

Which location is better for weather so far? Howell/Fenton or White Lake?

Snow should be about done here....

another (4th maybe?) 24 hour long event for MBY this season...

Measurement is around 5.5 inches...perhaps a few tenths lost to compaction

Another very nice event...as noted by others, not extreme cement, but definitely not the fluff we had seen so much of this winter.  Not much wind with this event...and temps were fairly reasonable for cleaning up the drive, patio, and sidewalks...

After a quick drive...some of the parking lot piles are starting to look like mountain ranges.  In the past I had seen them grow into some large single mounds before....but this year there are "half parking lot width" mounds of various heights all connected to each other...I will have to snap some shots tomorrow in the daylight.  Needless to say, the driveway mounds are starting to get a little out of control as well...

So I'm dying to ask and hear your response...

Which location is better for weather so far? Howell/Fenton or White Lake?

Winter:  White Lake (I was north of M59 close to Alpine) & Fenton (I am couple mile south of Fenton) are basically the same.  My location in Fenton is just better (I am not in a subdivision like I was and now live around lots land/farms.

Summer:  Fenton >>> White Lake.  I now live basically in/next to a t-storm path.  In White Lake the T-storms 75% of the time split or died just before my old house.   Had some awesome T-storms at our new place last summer.

Spring:  Weather wise a wash until t-storm season starts (see summer above).

Fall:  Weather wise a wash.   We have loved it here as we can just bike ride to the cider mills around here!!

Honestly I love it where I live now. Moving was the best decision we ever made.

Winter:  White Lake (I was north of M59 close to Alpine) & Fenton (I am couple mile south of Fenton) are basically the same.  My location in Fenton is just better (I am not in a subdivision like I was and now live around lots land/farms.

Summer:  Fenton >>> White Lake.  I now live basically in/next to a t-storm path.  In White Lake the T-storms 75% of the time split or died just before my old house.   Had some awesome T-storms at our new place last summer.

Spring:  Weather wise a wash until t-storm season starts (see summer above).

Fall:  Weather wise a wash.   We have loved it here as we can just bike ride to the cider mills around here!!

Honestly I love it where I live now. Moving was the best decision we ever made.

I'm glad to hear you're happy where you are now.

I'm also glad you're getting the t'storms in the summer time that you've been wanting. The Flint/Lansing area is much better for that type of action than further SE. 

We're finally back to -SN here. Got a dusting already.

But right now it looks as if it never snowed. :lol:

Lol like I said earlier depth settled down to just a bit more than it was this morning, but snowbanks surely increased. Snow density is crazy and it has that bumpy look in spots. Changeover should be anytime here. The sidewalks are sheets of ice and its not yet 32.

Archived