CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 30-February 3rd Wave Train Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CAD occurs on NE winds when there's a strong sfc high in QC funneling low level cold air towards us, which then gets dammed against the Escarpment. There was none of that today. In fact, temps were much warmer than most guidance showed. We pulled this whole thing out by the skin of our teeth. 1/2 a degree warmer and we're in the complaint thread right now.

Yes, my bad, lol. We were riding the line for the entire storm which was expected and luckily we didn't get any rain. Another storm where temperatures were marginal and we escaped with all frozen precip. Incredible! 

Yes, my bad, lol. We were riding the line for the entire storm which was expected and luckily we didn't get any rain. Another storm where temperatures were marginal and we escaped with all frozen precip. Incredible! 

Yeah, that's two borderline cases this winter that went our way in the end. Sucks we're not in the same boat as SE MI but our luck could be worse.

lol, wouldn't have to go too far. 

True. Good for those in those bands. Pretty impressive.

Eyes may be playing tricks on me but seems like it's trying to build north a little by the state line.  Don't know if it will be enough to bring it in here though.

Eyes may be playing tricks on me but seems like it's trying to build north a little by the state line.  Don't know if it will be enough to bring it in here though.

I kinda see the same thing. Getting some flakes here now. But that annoying dry slot between bands in IL and IN won't fill in for the life of it. :lol:

So we had a paste of 0.6" of cement snow tonight which about 0.4" of it glued to the pavement and it also clung to the west side of trees. This brings my storm total snowfall to 3.8", and I havent melted the total precip. The depth of the cement that fell today after 3.2"+lots of rain+0.6" is 1.8". Calling average depth 12". Huge piles. Its already icing over and as I said earlier, its just insane to walk through. Nothing powdery about it thats for sure. The only mini-complaint I have (other than skating around the sidewalks before the rain turned back to snow) is the snow has a bumpy look in some spots from all the rain. Nevertheless will be the deepest glacier Ive ever seen. I would naturally complain about missing the 5-7" totals to my west, but after having a bad feeling about this storm for days, I still probably did a bit better than I thought. DTW ended up with 4.1" of snow and 0.75" precip.

My 3.8" brings me to 60.2" on the season, and DTW's 4.1" brings them to 59.9". Its February 2nd now. Epic.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN  

107 AM EST SUN FEB 02 2014  

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON  

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

0101 AM SNOW KOKOMO 40.48N 86.13W  

02/02/2014 M4.0 INCH HOWARD IN PUBLIC

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN  107 AM EST SUN FEB 02 2014     .TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON     .DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.                ..REMARKS..    0101 AM     SNOW             KOKOMO                  40.48N  86.13W  02/02/2014  M4.0 INCH        HOWARD             IN   PUBLIC          

lol, I was just going to post that. Hopefully Jim takes photos/video. Damn.

Rock on. 

0144 AM SNOW WINDFALL 40.36N 85.96W

02/02/2014 M6.0 INCH TIPTON IN TRAINED SPOTTER

TRAINED SPOTTER REPORT OF 6 INCHES IN NARROW SNOW BAND.

No end in sight to the heavy banding.  They're probably going to put up a huge total.

Jim's gonna wake up tomorrow and be like "what the ****" :lol:

No end in sight to the heavy banding.  They're probably going to put up a huge total.

Jim's gonna wake up tomorrow and be like "what the ****" :lol:

lol, for real. What a great surprise for them.

Snow decently here right now, but doesn't look like it'll last long. I do feel bad for CMI though...stuck in the middle all night with nothing to show for it.

lol, for real. What a great surprise for them.

Snow decently here right now, but doesn't look like it'll last long. I do feel bad for CMI though...stuck in the middle all night with nothing to show for it.

Wish we had some reports out of Crawfordsville.  There's a guy on the WLFI blog that was reporting 3" but that was hours ago.  I'd think they have to be around 6" if not over by now as they've been getting trained with very good returns. 

I'm a lurker here for the most part.  Just moved back to Indiana from CHS last year was always lurking the SE board then.  I'm a trained spotter but trained in CHS so my snow measurements may not be real accurate lol. I live 7 miles east of Tipton/Windfall.  I measured just under 6 inches 30 minutes ago and it's still -SN.  The majority of that , 3-4 inches, at least here was between 1 and about 3:30. It was ripping pretty good.  Nice "Hallmark Christmas Snow" as i like to call it, straight down no wind and quiet.  There's going to be a lot of surprised folks around here as when normal people go to sleep the point and click forecast was 1-2.  

IND has issued a WWA for the counties southeast of here. Calling for totals of 3-6". Jim and Mottster are gonna be pleasantly surprised when they wake up tomorrow morning. :D

CLINTON-HOWARD-MONTGOMERY-BOONE-TIPTON-HAMILTON-MADISON-DELAWARE-

RANDOLPH-VERMILLION-PARKE-PUTNAM-HENDRICKS-MARION-HANCOCK-HENRY-

VIGO-CLAY-OWEN-MORGAN-JOHNSON-SHELBY-RUSH-SULLIVAN-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FRANKFORT...KOKOMO...CRAWFORDSVILLE...

ANDERSON...MUNCIE...INDIANAPOLIS...TERRE HAUTE...SHELBYVILLE

1206 AM EST SUN FEB 2 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN INDIANAPOLIS HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN...WHICH IS IN

EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST SUNDAY.

* MAIN IMPACT: TRAVEL MAY BECOME DIFFICULT DUE TO SNOW IN THE

NORTH AND FREEZING RAIN FOLLOWED BY SNOW IN THE CENTRAL AND

SOUTHERN COUNTIES.

* ACCUMULATIONS: SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3-6 INCHES POSSIBLE IN THE

HEAVY SNOW BAND FROM ROCKVILLE TO FRANKFORT TO KOKOMO. ELSEWHERE

SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 1-3 INCHES POSSIBLE. A TENTH OF AN INCH OF

ICE ACCUMULATION SOUTH OF THAT LINE WITH ISOLATED LOCATION

SEEING UP TO TWO TENTHS.

To say the least, looks like we picked up a few inches.  Looks like Crawfordsville to Frankfort to Kokomo were the main winners during the overnight.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
559 AM EST SUN FEB 02 2014

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0557 AM HEAVY SNOW 5 E DECATUR 40.83N 84.83W
02/02/2014 M7.0 INCH ADAMS IN PUBLIC

617 AM EST SUN FEB 02 2014

..REMARKS..

0606 AM SNOW MARSHALL 39.85N 87.19W
02/02/2014 M7.2 INCH PARKE IN BROADCAST MEDIA

235 AM EST SUN FEB 02 2014

..REMARKS..

0225 AM SNOW CRAWFORDSVILLE 40.04N 86.90W
02/02/2014 M6.9 INCH MONTGOMERY IN PUBLIC

TWITTER REPORT AND PICTURE.

Only 1.7" here with snow ending. I was sitting on the nw fringe of the band. I believe the southern part of the county scored. I'll drive down there and check it out later.

Wow! When I went to bed last night the NAM was just starting to hint at a change to snow with minor accumulations. Absolutely shocked to wake up to over 4 inches of heavy wet snow plastered to everything and it's still snowing with a winter weather advisory out.

Got to love those surprise busts.

Nice reports...congrats to the central/northeastern Indiana peeps who scored last night/overnight. A trio of 8.0" amounts below...

0900 AM SNOW MONTEZUMA 39.79N 87.37W
02/02/2014 M8.0 INCH PARKE IN TRAINED SPOTTER

0830 AM SNOW THORNTOWN 40.13N 86.61W
02/02/2014 M8.0 INCH BOONE IN BROADCAST MEDIA

0827 AM SNOW CRAWFORDSVILLE 40.04N 86.90W
02/02/2014 M8.0 INCH MONTGOMERY IN PUBLIC

Archived