CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 30-February 3rd Wave Train Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another band just passed through putting my storm total at 4.5". Forecast was for "up to an inch".

Kind of ironic that areas at the far SE edge of this got some of the best snows. Never would have guessed I'd get more than both ORD and DTW.

post-599-0-75753400-1391355880_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-31910700-1391355893_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-95975700-1391355902_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-28346200-1391355912_thumb.jpg

lol, for real. What a great surprise for them.

Snow decently here right now, but doesn't look like it'll last long. I do feel bad for CMI though...stuck in the middle all night with nothing to show for it.

We got rain and a small glazing of ice. Hopefully we cash in on Tuesday.

Congrats to those in the snowband in IN/OH! You may not have the deepest snow in the area but you probably have the most scenic. Nice pics kokomo.

My storm total here was 0.78" liquid, 3.8" snow with a foot of ridiculously dense snowpack. It even has that bumpy, icy "look" to it from all the rain. The lowest snow depth you will find in MI right now is probably about 5-6" in extreme southern Monroe county at the state line, and even that has a TON of water in it. White Lake reports a depth of 18", with 12" here and DTW, 13" in ARB, 9" in FNT but 17" at MBS.

Another band just passed through putting my storm total at 4.5". Forecast was for "up to an inch".

Kind of ironic that areas at the far SE edge of this got some of the best snows. Never would have guessed I'd get more than both ORD and DTW.

attachicon.giffebsnow2.JPG

attachicon.giffebsnow3.JPG

attachicon.giffebsnow4.jpg

attachicon.giffebsnow5.jpg

:wub:  Gorgeous. We literally posted at the same time and your pics confirmed my statement. My snow is much deeper than yours but not nearly as scenic this morning. We havent had a snowfall that thickly caked to trees since march 2011.

attachicon.giffebsnow2.JPG

attachicon.giffebsnow3.JPG

attachicon.giffebsnow4.jpg

attachicon.giffebsnow5.jpg

Lovely. Not the most efficient accumulations but it's hard to beat 10:1 snow in terms of beautiful scenery. 

I'm going to call a final storm total of about ~5" here.

Didn't take an official mesurement. That's just an estimate.

Thats actually a very good estimate based on my calculations. My storm total was 3.8" and the current depth of that is 1.8" (I left a spot cleared just to see how much the rain factored into the compaction, since it would be too hard to do so with the general snowpack). The Grosse Pointe "spotter" reported 2.5" of snow, and we all know that means that is what is on the board this morning, since its a block of ice (normally said spotter relies on wind driven snow to make sure he finds the absolute lowest spot possible, but there was no wind last night). So you figure....3.8" compacts to 1.8"...5" should compact to 2.5".

:wub:  Gorgeous. We literally posted at the same time and your pics confirmed my statement. My snow is much deeper than yours but not nearly as scenic this morning. We havent had a snowfall that thickly caked to trees since march 2011.

Yeah. The snow depth here is still a respectable 7-8" though, so not bad at all. However, there was 6" on the ground yesterday morning. Then we melted 3" to add another 4.5". I had close to an inch of rain yesterday and let me tell you it was UGLY yesterday evening. Glad to see it all coated again.

Lots of chances this week to watch this depth grow!

post-599-0-86438100-1391358106_thumb.png

Congrats to those in the snowband in IN/OH! You may not have the deepest snow in the area but you probably have the most scenic. Nice pics kokomo.

My storm total here was 0.78" liquid, 3.8" snow with a foot of ridiculously dense snowpack. It even has that bumpy, icy "look" to it from all the rain. The lowest snow depth you will find in MI right now is probably about 5-6" in extreme southern Monroe county at the state line, and even that has a TON of water in it. White Lake reports a depth of 18", with 12" here and DTW, 13" in ARB, 9" in FNT but 17" at MBS.

Funny that MBS has 17" of snowdepth yet they only got 15" or so total in all of January. I guess because they escaped most of the thaws we've had since December and added on with this storm.

I just went outside and the sidewalks in my neighborhood are a death trap. Like a half inch to and inch depending on where you stand of solid ice, and the snowpack is as hard and deep as I've ever seen it. If you slipped on the ice you could really hurt yourself on one of those snowbanks. They're like boulders piled up.

Funny that MBS has 17" of snowdepth yet they only got 15" or so total in all of January. I guess because they escaped most of the thaws we've had since December and added on with this storm.

I just went outside and the sidewalks in my neighborhood are a death trap. Like a half inch to and inch depending on where you stand of solid ice, and the snowpack is as hard and deep as I've ever seen it. If you slipped on the ice you could really hurt yourself on one of those snowbanks. They're like boulders piled up.

Exact same thing here. Its terrible! No more rain only snow please :). And yes...Saginaw never lost their snowpack in December for one thing...they went down to 8" while we briefly went down to a T. So they had an 8" glacier base to begin with before Januarys snows grazed them (with still above normal snow, just not a record like FNT and DTW).

3830-800.jpg

3831-800.jpg

Yeah. The snow depth here is still a respectable 7-8" though, so not bad at all. However, there was 6" on the ground yesterday morning. Then we melted 3" to add another 4.5". I had close to an inch of rain yesterday and let me tell you it was UGLY yesterday evening. Glad to see it all coated again.

attachicon.gifsnowdepth.png

attachicon.gifsnowdepth.png

Thats not as bad as I thought! We started yesterday at 10", got 3.8" of snow and only increased to 12" by this morning. Core sample is 2.4"! Snow depth has never been a more meaningless stat then this winter here though. Never seen the drifting like it is, you just have to pick a number and go with it. Of course, no more of that as we are capped off with a deep pack of white frozen cement!

As michsnowfreak posted, this map seems pretty accurate for DTX (with the exception of the outright low-balled Grosse Pointe Farms report).

snow201402021330.png

They do it everytime. I dont even see what the point is. Its actually almost on purpose it seems. Then every season snowmap DTX makes has that completely untrue hole right around Detroit city as they use the GPF spotter numbers. I checked their Jan report and even THEY came in with 23.1", which includes a M report on a day with snowfall and a couple days where fluffy high ratio snow resulted in liquid of 0.02" or something with snowfall of a T. Thats how you KNOW it was a historic month :lmao:

They do it everytime. I dont even see what the point is. Its actually almost on purpose it seems. Then every season snowmap DTX makes has that completely untrue hole right around Detroit city as they use the GPF spotter numbers. I checked their Jan report and even THEY came in with 23.1", which includes a M report on a day with snowfall and a couple days where fluffy high ratio snow resulted in liquid of 0.02" or something with snowfall of a T. Thats how you KNOW it was a historic month :lmao:

I know you're probably just a little tiffed that I've been dropping the ball on measuring these snows and sending in my numbers (to counter that spotter in GPF). But yeah, that GPF spotter IS sort of ridiculous (with their numbers). 

I'll try to do better next season (or next storm)

Archived