CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 30-February 3rd Wave Train Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Point and click says changeover around 9PM for all snow along I-94 with 1-3" more coming. Hoping we can get to it before then, but I like that better than midnight. Would make the storm total 5-7" around here, with of course an actual added snow depth of who-knows how much. Probably still added 2-3" as of the moment, though it's shrinking.

Point and click says changeover around 9PM for all snow along I-94 with 1-3" more coming. Hoping we can get to it before then, but I like that better than midnight. Would make the storm total 5-7" around here, with of course an actual added snow depth of who-knows how much. Probably still added 2-3" as of the moment, though it's shrinking.

snippet from DTX:

WILL BE HARD TO GET A GOOD MEASUREMENT OF ACTUAL SNOWFALL TOTALS FOR THIS EVENT FROM M-59 SOUTHWARD AS PERIOD OF RAIN/SLEET/FREEZING RAIN WILL HAVE COMPACTED SNOW FROM EARLIER.

We dont get snow to rain to snow storms too often, but I actually think it will be very easy. We had 3.2", it  turned to sleet and rain so we have accumulated nothing since, and when it goes back to snow, measure the new snow. I also left a spot that had been clear prior to today that I didnt clear after the changeover, just to see how much depth we end up with new snow from this storm. I would hope most observers use their common sense. Of course, I can only imagine what kind of numbers Grosse Pointe and Dearborn come in with tomorrow :lol:

I will be really surprised if we beat Chicago with this system, although of course ours was snow to rain to snow, theirs all snow. Working on 2.5-3" water content in our snowpack here...thats up north stuff. Im going to do a core sample tomorrow.

Chicago will probably have more snow on the ground from this system, but the totals should be about the same (if you consider all of the Chicago area). 

Like the northern suburbs in Chicago got lower amounts, the southern suburbs in Detroit will also get lower amounts. 

Just went outside now that the precip stopped. Looks like at least IMBY, we lost all of the snow we gained over the morning hours. :axe:

Snow depth looks to be about 9 or 10 inches. Might be able to nudge ourselves back up to where we were earlier for a net gain now that temps are dropping and a little snow is on the way to freshen things up.

Also, there's like a solid inch of water standing on all the sidewalks right now. That could get nasty later on.

Archived