Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb 3rd event

Brian5671

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the thermal gradients are not huge with this sytem, but does anyone have a momentum/isentrope cross section handy?

Want to diagnose any sneaky CSI potential. 

This storm will take a bunch of people by surprise... rates will be quite high for a time, although I think it could be one of those storms where the major urban centers have much less than areas just outside - a la Midtown Manhattan will have slush but you walk into Central Park and there are several inches.

It will happen at a bad time too....most schools are out of snow days and will probably opt to open and dismiss early. Further, there is not much buzz in the media, with 1010 WINS saying 2-4 after a period of rain ( which they say will changeover quickly ). People hear 2 inches, and they don't worry so much. this ain't Atlanta.

It will happen at a bad time too....most schools are out of snow days and will probably opt to open and dismiss early. Further, there is not much buzz in the media, with 1010 WINS saying 2-4 after a period of rain ( which they say will changeover quickly ). People hear 2 inches, and they don't worry so much. this ain't Atlanta.

Media is too busy hyping the superbowl. Many people will be surprised when they see the snow tomorrow.

I have noticed the media has been very conservative/pessimistic this year.

Last minute they bump up totals

Everyone will get a nice storm…just feel those area are close enough to the heavier banding and will not lose much to warm temps to start 

Could also be a good event for Long Island-the areas that got into the good initial banding on Jan 21st look like a good spot for this. I'd say 50-50 shot people around I-78 down to Monmouth/Trenton will be at 36" for the season by the end of this, and then have a shot at 40" on Wednesday (the places that jackpot from this will likely be the first to go to rain on Wed though).

Could also be a good event for Long Island-the areas that got into the good initial banding on Jan 21st look like a good spot for this. I'd say 50-50 shot people around I-78 down to Monmouth/Trenton will be at 36" for the season by the end of this, and then have a shot at 40" on Wednesday (the places that jackpot from this will likely be the first to go to rain on Wed though).

At 39 here. Will b close to 50 by the time wed changes over

what am i missing here? they're not issuing a WSW because they are forecasting only 2-4" of snow.

Perhaps they are just going conservative... but certain counties in the Mt. Holly area on the same latitude as OKX have watches so not great continuity with surrounding offices.  But they have time.  I just think the SB may factor in to their thinking.

Perhaps they are just going conservative... but certain counties in the Mt. Holly area on the same latitude as OKX have watches so not great continuity with surrounding offices.  But they have time.  I just think the SB may factor in to their thinking.

The snow will play a big role for everyone leaving home tomorrow after the game, so they should have some warning of upcoming snows (I'm sure social media cued them in on it at least). 

those watches from mt. holly are weird.  in hunterdon and monmouth county where they have a WSW, the point and click forecast for the those locations are for 3-5" 

meanwhile, they dont have a WSW for middlesex county, but the snow forecast is the same.

i assume the criteria for a WSW is the same in all 3 of those counties.

Archived