joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all. I'm just stopping in to see how your storm is turning out. I checked out webcams and it looks like Marietta and Atlanta are having major traffic issues. I am on a local weather blog up here and people are laughing about how "people are freaking out" down there. I am just like, uhhhhh, yeah, they don't get much of this. People up here think they know how to drive in it, and we have accidents still with every snowstorm. I'm up to 30 inches on the ground here. :)

Enjoy your storm and stay safe!

Yeah, I really get tired of that attitude.  There are many videos from northern states that are just as bad as ours 

ZR accretions have begun. 32, light icing 0.01" on trees, elevated surfaces and car windshields..

Ugh.....good luck down there tonight SF  :wub: 

freezing rain here, starting to ice on elevated surfaces.  gfs looks good showing wintry precip thru hr 24, and heavy snow late tonight and tomorrow morning.

*fingers crossed* more snow than ice  :) 

Ice in Florida

Ouch  :(   

I've got a nice glaze on the decks and cars  :D

Yeah, I really get tired of that attitude.  There are many videos from northern states that are just as bad as ours

For sure! After two months of snow (we are up to our average already of 100 inches), people are FINALLY slowing down and realizing their tank vehicles are not resistant to crashes on bad roads. But also, road treatments don't work below 20 degrees...so nothing has been melting off roads. Have they treated your roads with anything?

Hey all. I'm just stopping in to see how your storm is turning out. I checked out webcams and it looks like Marietta and Atlanta are having major traffic issues. I am on a local weather blog up here and people are laughing about how "people are freaking out" down there. I am just like, uhhhhh, yeah, they don't get much of this. People up here think they know how to drive in it, and we have accidents still with every snowstorm. I'm up to 30 inches on the ground here. :)

Enjoy your storm and stay safe!

Yeah. For a lot of us this is our first measurable snowfall in 3 years. 

On top of that, almost all counties don't have any winter equipment and nobody has snow tires. 

It'd be like us making fun of Michigan people during a hurricane :P

For sure! After two months of snow (we are up to our average already of 100 inches), people are FINALLY slowing down and realizing their tank vehicles are not resistant to crashes on bad roads. But also, road treatments don't work below 20 degrees...so nothing has been melting off roads. Have they treated your roads with anything?

hahahahahahahahahaha

:poster_oops:

Coldest snowfall in Charlotte since 88, I'm fairly sure. 85 is getting snow covered.

I've got to say that while the totals aren't going to be huge, not having to worry about changeovers with marginal temps at any level is really nice.

Got about an inch here or far.

Something very odd is going on with the radar..This shield is moving north toward Atl. Could be massive totals.  Hey the NWS screwed up once already today, I say they have again. Have you guys also noticed that their is no SE movement like a few hours ago???

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=N0R&rid=ffc&loop=yes

Watching cautiously in Savannah for likely ZR later. Already down to 35 here and near the coast and 34/30 at the airport/Hunter and slowly but steadily falling after being in the 40's for a long time earlier. So, the cold is all of the way to the coast with hardly any moderation. We've only had a few drops of rain recently and no rain is very closeby. I now don't think we can be saved by temperatures as it is already 32 in CHS (even all the way over to Johns Island on the coast, which is earlier than progged) and falling. Our only chance is that the precip. be much lighter than the close to 0.75-1" progged. However, the heaviest by far is forecasted overnight.

Yeah. For a lot of us this is our first measurable snowfall in 3 years. 

On top of that, almost all counties don't have any winter equipment and nobody has snow tires. 

It'd be like us making fun of Michigan people during a hurricane :P

hahahahahahahahahaha

:poster_oops:

Lol...yeah, people would be fraking out here. I take your laughter as they didn't put anything out OR have anything? :P

Something very odd is going on with the radar..This shield is moving north toward Atl. Could be massive totals. Hey the NWS screwed up once already today, I say they have again. Have you guys also noticed that their is no SE movement like a few hours ago???

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=N0R&rid=ffc&loop=yes

I have definitely noticed, I'm in east point right near the airport...the line stopped progressing SE when it got to Smyrna and it hasn't moved any further in 20 minutes. I'm still seeing some decent snow showers here.

Lol...yeah, people would be fraking out here. I take your laughter as they didn't put anything out OR have anything? :P

Exactly. I think the state-level DOTs have trucks to treat the interstates, but nothing on the scale it would take to do anything on the local roads, and they never seem to actually treat the interstates before something happens.

Watching cautiously in Savannah for likely ZR later. Already down to 35 here and near the coast and 34 at the airport slowly falling after being in the 40's for a long time earlier. So, the cold is all of the way to the coast with hardly any moderation. We've only had a few drops of rain recently and no rain is very closeby. I now don't think we can be saved by temperatures as it is already 32 in CHS (even all the way over to Johns Island on the coast, which is earlier than progged) and falling. Our only chance is that the precip. be much lighter than the close to 0.75-1" progged. However, the heaviest by far is forecasted overnight.

The 22z RAP is much wetter for the SC coast and maybe Savannah too. Good luck down there

Archived