• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wednesday storm possiblities

Mitchel Volk

SREFs have a history of being too amplified. Look what happened with the last storm we had.

Huh its QPF  was perfect , you`re talking about specific amped members in the plume ?  .

Way different , The SREF couldn't have been better  Printed out .78 at KBLM and 14  Plus inches fell at 20 to 1  

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh its QPF  was perfect , you`re talking about specific amped members in the plume ?  .

Way different , The SREF couldn't have been better  Printed out .78 at KBLM and 14  Plus inches fell at 20 to 1  

Well, for us on the NW fringe (which is where the coast would be in this event), they were awful in last Tuesday's event.  Less than 24 hours from the start, they were giving me a mean of 19" of snow.  Taking out the amped members still put the mean at over 7".  I barely saw a flake.

Lol at anyone writing this off as clouds or not a flake or SREFs are usually amped, etc. Just let things play out. As of now, we're ALL going to see some light snow on Wednesday.

Upton - cloudy flurries 

also a really wimpy forecast the whole period - not what was advertised last week - cold is not impressive at all and the precip chances aren't either

http://kamala.cod.edu/nj/latest.fpus51.KOKX.html

Srefs have been a train wreck for nw areas.. Tough to deny that and I'm sure everyone 40+ miles nw of the city will agree with me on that

You`re prob right  , it was great for us on the coast , but its edges were terrible for you guys

Well, for us on the NW fringe (which is where the coast would be in this event), they were awful in last Tuesday's event. Less than 24 hours from the start, they were giving me a mean of 19" of snow. Taking out the amped members still put the mean at over 7". I barely saw a flake.

I remember that lol.. Meanwhile every other model had us receiving 1" or so

One data point is insufficient to prove your point.  The SREF mean was far too wet to the NW of the urban I-95 corridor.  This was largely due to a handful of very wet members that were also too far NW.  This skewed the mean and gradient on the NW periphery.  This is a common problem with the SREF suite.

It was  right with the last storm.

This is an example of focusing too much of your own back yard.  Assessing the accuracy of a model prog is very complex.  It's not as simple as saying "well it said XX and I got about XX, so it was right."  Besides the fact that most models come out with new data every 6 or 12 hours, they can be very good with some parameters or in some geographical areas but really bad in others.

One data point is insufficient to prove your point.  The SREF mean was far too wet to the NW of the urban I-95 corridor.  This was largely due to a handful of very wet members that were also too far NW.  This skewed the mean and gradient on the NW periphery.  This is a common problem with the SREF suite.

Read on. Next one I wrote was it was great for the coast and bad for the edges

Hey Joe, I still have that almanac! Its from 1995. I still sometimes use it to check some old central park data.

lol...I have a copy or two left...this has been some cold winter so far in our area...I lost count of the days we had around five above...I didn't get as much snow as NYC last time...I have an inch or two left on the ground...

anyone north and west of Atlantic City is not going to see anything but clouds and a flurry at best - the air is way to dry so even though some radars might show precip most of it will not reach the ground in those areas with dry air and dew points so low

Archived