Newest Member
    amirah5
Wednesday storm possiblities

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From HM in mid atlantic forum:

A 600mb omega dendrite bomb? If gfs looks similar, I'd double qpf for totals.  Well if you sufficiently make dendrites and strongly with omega, the ratios will easily double. Depends on how strong the synoptic lift is and where that convergence zone sets up. GFS naturally makes this less confident.

This is going to miss our area, I think it's pretty clear. Maybe some areas can pull of a coating but it will be fighting a lot of dry air on the NW side.

This system, at least down south, is producing accumulating snow farther north than forecast. See the WWA's just posted for north/central Alabama where they were not expected to receive more than a dusting of snow: http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=ALZ024&warncounty=ALC073&firewxzone=ALZ024&local_place1=&product1=Winter+Weather+Advisory

NW of NYC will struggle with dry air. S&E of NYC should easily pick up an inch at least. GFS/NAM/RGEM all have it.

I think a lot of the precip that the 4k NAM and RGEM shows falling will be virga, even for Long Island.

That being said, I do think some areas could pull off an inch or two if the intensity of the 4k NAM comes to fruition. Mainly east of JFK.

I think a lot of the precip that the 4k NAM and RGEM shows falling with be virga, even for Long Island.

0.1"+ for LI would not be virga. We're looking at a good 4-6 hours of light snow, if anything, the first hour will be virga as it saturates the column. The 4km NAM on E-wall which I prefer over the one on SV picks up well on virga and still gives LI 0.1"+. NAM/RGEM/GFS aren't all going to bust because of virga. Even if we don't get as much precip, ratios will make up.

0.1"+ for LI would not be virga. We're looking at a good 4-6 hours of light snow, if anything, the first hour will be virga as it saturates the column. The 4km NAM on E-wall which I prefer over the one on SV picks up well on virga and still gives LI 0.1"+. NAM/RGEM/GFS aren't all going to bust because of virga. Even if we don't get as much precip, ratios will make up.

yea,,,I feel pretty confident of 1-2" snows from long island down into monmouth cty. maybe 2-4" in and around acy

Even with just an inch, this is why you absolutely cannot write off storms in this pattern. Models are horrible this winter until the 36 hour window. It's frustrated even 3-4 days before a storm people stating it absolutely won't happen.

This system, at least down south, is producing accumulating snow farther north than forecast. See the WWA's just posted for north/central Alabama where they were not expected to receive more than a dusting of snow: http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=ALZ024&warncounty=ALC073&firewxzone=ALZ024&local_place1=&product1=Winter+Weather+Advisory

Also, the WWAdvisories have been extended inland to the N/W this morning in VA/NC - for example, Richmond wasn't under a WWA at 4 am, but it is now.  Bodes well for a bit further inland track (or at least larger snow shield) - hoping we can eke out an inch along I-95, since I live 1/2 mile from the NJ TPK, lol. 

There could be some real winners an losers with this one. I think cutoffs will be extreme as has been the case with the last storm. You could have 3" I'm Monmouth county and zero at ewr. Same thing out on the island. Could be 2" on the extreme south fork and nothing on the north shore of Nassau. Here I'm going with a coating

Hazardous Weather Outlook

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

1140 AM EST TUE JAN 28 2014

DEZ002-MDZ012-015-019-020-NJZ013-014-020-021-026-027-291645-

KENT-KENT MD-QUEEN ANNES-TALBOT-CAROLINE-WESTERN MONMOUTH-

EASTERN MONMOUTH-OCEAN-CUMBERLAND-COASTAL OCEAN-

SOUTHEASTERN BURLINGTON-

1140 AM EST TUE JAN 28 2014

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL DELAWARE...NORTHEAST

MARYLAND...CENTRAL NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

AN AREA OF SNOW IS FORECAST TO SLIDE NORTH AND NORTHWEST TONIGHT

AS LOW PRESSURE TRACKS WELL TO OUR SOUTH AND EAST. WHILE THERE IS

LESS CONFIDENCE WITH HOW FAR INLAND THE SNOW SHIELD GETS, SOME

ACCUMULATING SNOW IS EXPECTED TONIGHT. AS OF NOW, ACCUMULATIONS

LOOK TO BE 1 TO 2 INCHES.

...NY METRO ENHANCED AVIATION WEATHER SUPPORT...

DETAILED INFORMATION...INCLUDING HOURLY TAF WIND COMPONENT FCSTS
CAN BE FOUND AT: HTTP:/WWW.ERH.NOAA.GOV/ZNY/N90 (LOWER CASE)

KJFK FCSTER COMMENTS: SOME VARIABILITY IN WIND DIRECTION THIS AFTN
DUE TO THE LIGHT WIND FIELDS. SNOW ACCUMS TNGT INTO WED UP TO 1
INCH.

KLGA FCSTER COMMENTS: SOME VARIABILITY IN WIND DIRECTION THIS AFTN
INCH.

KEWR FCSTER COMMENTS: SOME VARIABILITY IN WIND DIRECTION THIS AFTN
INCH.

KTEB FCSTER COMMENTS: NO UNSCHEDULED AMENDMENTS EXPECTED THRU THIS
EVE. SNOW ACCUMS TNGT INTO WED LESS THAN 1 INCH.

KHPN FCSTER COMMENTS: NO UNSCHEDULED AMENDMENTS EXPECTED THRU THIS
EVE. SNOW ACCUMS TNGT INTO WED UP TO 1 INCH.

KISP FCSTER COMMENTS: NO UNSCHEDULED AMENDMENTS EXPECTED THRU THIS
EVE. SNOW ACCUMS TNGT INTO WED UP TO 3 INCHES.

The EC increased qpf from 0.02" on the 0z run to 0.07" on the 12z run for NYC. Unfortunately, I didn't have other 0z figures, but one can probably assume similar increases near what had been the fringes of the qpf shield. 

thats great news. that would be around an inch for the city so id imagine coastal monmouth would probably be looking at a good 1-3" with any luck

Archived