joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wednesday storm possiblities

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Craig is not only one of the best mets out there but he's a great guy...about 20 years ago when I was a member of the Long Island Weather Observers I made an almanac for NYC and sent him and some other members of the LIWO a copy of it...He called me at home and talked to my wife to thank me for sending him a copy of the almanac which I thought was very nice on his part......It was nothing special and in those days I did it all with a type writer and copy machine...there was no spell check back then so I'll leave it at that...

Hey Joe, I still have that almanac! Its from 1995. I still sometimes use it to check some old central park data.

The fact that today's temperatures are much warmer than forecast makes me think this cold push will not be as significant as forecast and the storm could be more N&W. 

That doesn't have anything to do with the current threat. The cold air is coming in as progged and should be as severe as forecasted once the front clears us later today. The question is how consolidated the energy is and how quickly the trough can sharpen and deliver moisture as far north as it can. We need for the southern stream to shoot east quickly and merge with that trough so that some chance of a real coastal development exists.

That doesn't have anything to do with the current threat. The cold air is coming in as progged and should be as severe as forecasted once the front clears us later today. The question is how consolidated the energy is and how quickly the trough can sharpen and deliver moisture as far north as it can. We need for the southern stream to shoot east quickly and merge with that trough so that some chance of a real coastal development exists.

The severity of the cold air has greatly been diminished by the models.

The severity of the cold air has greatly been diminished by the models.Outside of the city areas could still see single digits tues,wed and thurs morning.

I think it's the length of the cold that he means has been diminished. This frigid pattern is clearly breaking, but I still think we see a big snowstorm in the next 2 weeks

Unbelievable. I completely gave up in this last night and now I'm sucked back in.

I think its likely a miss but its interesting to see the GFS may be throwing its first real stink bomb on a storm this winter so far...its the only model really that went east on the 12Z runs and its actually gone east now 3 runs in a row while most others have gone gradually NW...this is especially true down in the SE where the GFS now is showing virtually nothing where WSWs are out in parts of GA for 4 inches or more of snow.  I might believe it except for the fact the reliable RGEM after being very suppressed came well N on its 12Z run.

ticks me off.  left charleston  to hopefully see some snow up here,,,now it looks like charleston gets the big ice/snow and were left cold and dry up here. such great timing I have

In December 09 I left OKC on December 17th, we of course got the 12/20 storm and OKC got the epic 12/24 blizzard but if that 12/20 storm had missed us I'd never have lived that one down.

Is it really that much warmer there? We had less snow to work with than you and the snowpack here is still at least 4-5" deep with no bare ground showing anywhere.

The snow settled a lot after the storm ended-that's the flip side of having a high ratio snow event. There was maybe half the snow depth left, plus a good amount of bare spots where snow blew away from. So I'm sure with temps torching into the 40s today as well as the sun breaking through at times, that a lot of it will be gone where I live. It's melting like crazy here in NYC too.

Archived