joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wednesday storm possiblities

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too much subsidence a long the coastline from the PV being in a poor spot for us. We needed the PV to elongate more from north to south and instead we got from northeast to southwest which isn't nearly as good. The energy attempts to round the corner but has no choice but to head out to sea.

The Nam actually made a significant improvement from its 06z run. It's really close to giving us something, maybe the gfs will be even closer. I think a storm is starting to go off the table, but we could still get a scraper or a brush from this. 

Below are the total precipitation from the 06z Nam run and 12z Nam run.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=054ℑ=data%2Fnam%2F06%2Fnam_namer_054_precip_ptot.gif&model=nam&area=namer&param=precip_ptot&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=048ℑ=data%2Fnam%2F12%2Fnam_namer_048_precip_ptot.gif&model=nam&area=namer&param=precip_ptot&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M

Too much subsidence a long the coastline from the PV being in a poor spot for us. We needed the PV to elongate more from north to south and instead we got from northeast to southwest which isn't nearly as good. The energy attempts to round the corner but has no choice but to head out to sea.

If this comes back, it will be for coastal sections of NJ, NY and especially LI.

The NAM brings the .10" line into Montauk on this run.

The trough is sheared out, energy sheared out and positively tilted. Unless that drastically changes, no one around our area has a shot at this. What the NAM showed is about the best I could see, maybe it briefly clips the Twin Forks and Cape Cod, as well as southeast NJ.

Craig is not only one of the best mets out there but he's a great guy...about 20 years ago when I was a member of the Long Island Weather Observers I made an almanac for NYC and sent him and some other members of the LIWO a copy of it...He called me at home and talked to my wife to thank me for sending him a copy of the almanac which I thought was very nice on his part......It was nothing special and in those days I did it all with a type writer and copy machine...there was no spell check back then so I'll leave it at that...

Odds for a near-miss or brush by seem to be increasing, models are still shifting to the NW. Hopefully the gfs follows and getting an inch or two from this would be a huge win. Those in AC or Cape May are extremely close to something of more significance so hopefully it trends better so they benefit as they often get screwed in the winter.

Craig is one of NYC's best. His Wednesday discussion that you talk about above is, at least in my opinion, probably the best way to describe things at this point in time.

He`s great , his typical response would be  WED  P/C with a storm going off to our S and E . So i  think its got his attention 

Like you said in Feb. discussion thread atleast we have hope for the first week of february as the GFS is in love with it.....for now ;)

1st week of Feb , may be above normal temp wise  Feb 5 - 15 is colder , that may be your`e better bet 

The good news ( i guess ) is it didnt  tick SE , held steady . Most of the 12z Suite this AM  came N , So another tick is stil on the table for coastal interest at least .

I'm not totally convinced that this threat is completely dead yet but they are prepping the AED. Luckily the pattern moving forward shows a lot of promise.

Like you said in Feb. discussion thread atleast we have hope for the first week of february as the GFS is in love with it.....for now ;)

I have to say, no offense, but that wink is super annoying. It's in every post.

Archived