joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS has trended less QPF for the Triangle for 3 consecutive runs now.

Yeah, but every model now has 0.4-0.5" of precip, that's a pretty good consensus, which would be 4-6" of all snow, take that all day, just need to hold on.  I was surprised to see the UK so juiced, it was at least 0.5" for RDU.

But what about what Robert said?

I think the models are showing what Robert said, all models are ticking NW with more precip, let's forget the crazy 18z GFS run, that ain't happening, we have a great chance to get 4-6" of snow (knock on wood).  But thinking 2-4" (0.3" of precip) will be most likely.

The GFS has trended less QPF for the Triangle for 3 consecutive runs now.

While this is true, there is also growing consensus around the 0.5" mark. Not too shabby and a nice warning criteria event. Regarding the RAH press release...they have conveyed their thoughts well probabilistically in terms of accumulations. The middle scenario is expected, but the lower/higher accumulations are possible. Based on probabilistic output, a higher chance exists for more accumulation in the Triangle rather than lower. This is reflected in the highest probabilities of snow greater than a foot not being along the I-95 corridor, but along the highway 1 corridor. I'm in no way saying that outcome is likely, just that the skew of the ensembles suggests this.

I was just about to post that. It's a good bit wetter than any prior run, especially on the north side.

P1_GZ_D5_PN_030_0000.gif

P1_GZ_D5_PN_033_0000.gif

P1_GZ_D5_PN_036_0000.gif

P1_GZ_D5_PN_039_0000.gif

P1_GZ_D5_PN_042_0000.gif

One thing we all need to remember in scenarios such as this, is the potential for some serious OVERRUNNING. Also the jet enhancement dynamics will be optimal in our region(s). Overall, Weather Models have always had issues with nailing the impact that overrunning can cause. I feel that we all will be in for more of a positive impact (if you want snow) than what is being depicted. I say game on!

While this is true, there is also growing consensus around the 0.5" mark. Not too shabby and a nice warning criteria event. Regarding the RAH press release...they have conveyed their thoughts well probabilistically in terms of accumulations. The middle scenario is expected, but the lower/higher accumulations are possible. Based on probabilistic output, a higher chance exists for more accumulation in the Triangle rather than lower. This is reflected in the highest probabilities of snow greater than a foot not being along the I-95 corridor, but along the highway 1 corridor. I'm in no way saying that outcome is likely, just that the skew of the ensembles suggests this.

I know somewhere buried in this thread there was a description of how to grab those plume graphs. Those are great at showing this exactly but I can't seem to find it. 

Yea. the 0.5 mark seems to be showing up pretty consistently now. I still think we get at least 6 inches here, and maybe more.

You RDU folks should take you .5 and run. Im sitting here hoping for a dusting! Y'all are about to get .5 and complaining. C'mon. It was looking like nothing a couple of days ago. But I suspect a good snow for most. Especially how bad models are handling it! Good luck everyone.

Thanks. The UK Met barely showed anything west of Raleigh at 00z last night, so that's a pretty sizable shift.

That was a big shift for the UK.  The JMA just went west a pretty good bit too.  Has RDU in 0.5"+, with 0.75" right on the Wake County line, has GSO in the 0.25-0.5" range.

You RDU folks should take you .5 and run. Im sitting here hoping for a dusting! Y'all are about to get .5 and complaining. C'mon. It was looking like nothing a couple of days ago. But I suspect a good snow for most. Especially how bad models are handling it! Good luck everyone.

Agreed, anyone who can get 0.5" as all snow and is complaining is crazy.

I'm not complaining...If I get .5 qpf I'll be dancing in the streets!

I think the models are showing what Robert said, all models are ticking NW with more precip, let's forget the crazy 18z GFS run, that ain't happening, we have a great chance to get 4-6" of snow (knock on wood).  But thinking 2-4" (0.3" of precip) will be most likely.

The 12z RGEM seems about as good a place as any to start.  It matches up fairly well with a middle of the road solution, not extreme as some guidance over the past several days, and don't as dry or as far east as others, namely the foreign suite from 24-48hrs ago.  There are some discrepancies between the meso and globals with respect to thermal profiles, I would hedge towards the mesoscale models at this range with respect to transitions zones.  Very challenging forecast for the coastal Carolinas, maybe a little more certain as you head down into SC east of 95.  RGEM and NAM thickness plots are a good match, it is going to be very hard to get SN with 850-700mb thick >1550m, and I would give alot of weight to the RGEM transition zones.  Should be mainly IP with some SN east of 95 in NC to about 40, Crystal Coast may flirt with some ZR immediate coastal sections.  From ILM down to CHS will likely be the epicenter for ZR, inland areas of SC back to 95 one hell of a IP event.  Confidence is increasing for a 4-8" event along a line from FAY to ORF, RDU may be above 4", jackpot likely somewhere in NE NC that can manage to stay all SN.  12z NAM puts down 1/2" IP here Tuesday night which brings ratios down to an avg of 10:1, prior to and after they are closer to 15:1, but the IP hurt the mean.  

We know the SREF plumes are pretty decently on the high end, but why? check this link http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/SREF21500US_9z/srefloop.html

Now mouse-over and watch the southern energy. Is it just me or do most of the members have the northern branch phasing or at least picking up some if not most of that southern vort? On previous runs, only a few picked it up...now most do?

Barring any wild changes in the models expect WSW to go up a bit further west across the RAH CWA with another row of WWA extending towards the Triad. The WWA more for impact than anything. There may also be a period of sleet for the SE counties tomorrow evening due to a pronounced warm nose. This shouldn't last more than a couple of hours and should move over to all snow shortly after dark.

Archived