Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the MD Fringes - January Part III

MAG5035

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top 3 recent longest 32 or below stretches that I have so far for Harrisburg:

13 - December 18-30, 2000 (average high 27 - average low 14)

12 - January 14-25, 2003 (average high 26 - average low 14)

12 - January 8-19, 1982 (average high 21 - average low 8) (note had 20 of 21 straight days at or below 32... one day had high of 36)

Thanks djr...

Well, it looks like MDT has a real shot at reaching or even possibly exceeding 13 days based on the latest GFS run.  Will be interesting to watch for sure.

I'm sorry but I gotta stick up for myself here. Dangerously cold weather is not good for anyone especially home owners or god forbid people who cannot afford a heat source. I'm just not a fan of worrying about pipes freezing and all that. It's coming regardless so I'm going to stop complaining, it's just that as you get older extreme cold gets less appealing.

I'm sorry but I gotta stick up for myself here. Dangerously cold weather is not good for anyone especially home owners or god forbid people who cannot afford a heat source. I'm just not a fan of worrying about pipes freezing and all that. It's coming regardless so I'm going to stop complaining, it's just that as you get older extreme cold gets less appealing.

True...doesn't mean you want a cutter, though :)

I understand. I just love it so much - but you change your mind quickly when it affects your family and livelihood.

HM (not Margusity) was just saying that the Wednesday system is definitely on the table...

He mentioned that in the Philly and DC forums so be careful, I do think it will trend north and DC and Philly are VERY much in the game with it I feel, and I would probably put York and Lancaster into that category also, but for those of us north of there who have been starving for a significant I am worried it is likely to be another disapointment for us.  With the progressive flow and lack of any blocking there is only so far it is going to come north.  The analogs for that storm showing up also did not give me much confidence as many of them were storms that hit DC to NYC and missed most of central and northern PA.  There is always a chance, and a few of the analogs did end up bombing up the coast and bringing snow all the way to the PA/NY border so its possible but I would avoid the heartbreak and not get my hopes up on that one yet.  Worth watching though. 

I do like the look of the long range pattern for Feb for central and northern PA though.  I think we are likely to see a further west trough axis but with arctic highs fighting against attempts for storms to cut.  This could lead to nice overrunning events and those we do well with up here.  Feb 1994 comes to mind as a similar pattern to what I see evolving on some of the guidance. 

He mentioned that in the Philly and DC forums so be careful, I do think it will trend north and DC and Philly are VERY much in the game with it I feel, and I would probably put York and Lancaster

into that category also, but for those of us north of there who have been starving for a significant I am worried it is likely to be another disapointment for us. With the progressive flow and lack of any blocking there is only so far it is going to come north. The analogs for that storm showing up also did not give me much confidence as many of them were storms that hit DC to NYC and missed most of central and northern PA. There is always a chance, and a few of the analogs did end up bombing up the coast and bringing snow all the way to the PA/NY border so its possible but I would avoid the heartbreak and not get my hopes up on that one yet. Worth watching though.

Thanks...good point that what is good for one subforum isn't a guarentee for another one. There is a certain appeal to storms coming from the south, especially for those of us farther south and east...

I do like the look of the long range pattern for Feb for central and northern PA though.  I think we are likely to see a further west trough axis but with arctic highs fighting against attempts for storms to cut.  This could lead to nice overrunning events and those we do well with up here.  Feb 1994 comes to mind as a similar pattern to what I see evolving on some of the guidance. 

Yeah, that's what I am thinking too. 

I will leave the forum for a week if DCA-BOS gets another big snowstorm while we're left with 3" or less.

What about if the eastern halves of NC and SC all the way to the coast sees 6" of snow with the 3 inch contour on the FL/GA line and the 1 inch line at Pensacola, FL? That's what today's Euro is suggesting for the middle of next week in the midst of us being in the deep freeze haha. 

For the argument earlier of those loving and hating this cold try getting a propane order delivered. Ordered 8 days ago and called today and they said they had to put another order in for another week since they tried delivering yesterday  but couldn't cause of snow. My driveway was clear yesterday. Guess the shortage is real. Called another co and they said not taking any new orders for customer owned tanks only sched deliveries and leased tanks.

Archived