• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Late January - Early February Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

They do for North Jersey which is where he lives...very nice post, but of no use to us...

I agree that further north is clearly favored but disagree about the post being no use to us. The position of the pv in se canda is pretty important. If we're going to get a cross country vort track to stay below us this is the feature that will keep it below us. Confluence is necessary at our latitude without preferred blocking.

As phin said, epic patterns are very rare. The progged pattern is definitely not epic for the ma. But its not a bad pattern. If there's a neutral vort south of our latitude over the MS river with a pv in se Canada does happen we'll all be drooling over our 3-6 and not care about nyc's 30-60.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rhetorical, but how is that fun?  Now use your stat stuff to tell me how this really plays out.  Are we getting a KU this year or not?  Statistically speaking, of course.

In DC and Balt I gotta think not. We're well on our way to another bad winter in this neck of the woods at least. I mean, it can be fixed pretty quick but I think persistence in short, long, and forever term argues against it (a KU) at least IMBY.

Tho should clarify. I don't think a bad winter is a foregone conclusion. We aren't in the worst shape ever at this pt. I'd be gunning for another event that gives me 3.5" over anything else for now. We should probably have a subforum edict to not refer to averages.. At least in DC they don't really tell you what to expect anymore if ever. Expectations in the city should realistically be about a half foot lower per season than shown.

In DC and Balt I gotta think not. We're well on our way to another bad winter in this neck of the woods at least. I mean, it can be fixed pretty quick but I think persistence in short, long, and forever term argues against it (a KU) at least IMBY.

I should have looked at the norm Feb for DCA.  I'm guessing, but what is it?  Maybe 5"?

Whether it's over or under, I wonder that it isn't impressive when one considers the initial statement you made.  It seems it's feast or famine for the MA.

I should have looked at the norm Feb for DCA.  I'm guessing, but what is it?  Maybe 5"?

Whether it's over or under, I wonder that it isn't impressive when one considers the initial statement you made.  It seems it's feast or famine for the MA.

It's 5.7" officially but last 30 it's 4.9".  Removing 10 and 03 which are huge outliers even among the big Febs of late it's more like 3-3.5" with a median in the same range. 

Worst run of the season and its had a lot of bad runs

Cold and mood flakes every 48 hrs till 168... that's a bad run?

I like the last week of Jan setup.. seems consistent in the large scale. Perfect for the MA? No. But I'll take it over 75% of other possible solutions for this time of year.

It's 5.7" officially but last 30 it's 4.9".  Removing 10 and 03 which are huge outliers even among the big Febs of late it's more like 3-3.5" with a median in the same range. 

3.25'ish? 

Ballpark same latitude, what is that, Salisbury?  Even Ocean City?  Windmills offshore?

Sorry, I'm bantering.  Done.

euro tuesday, heartbreaker -  2-3"

Mixy coastal at day 9

Tom Tasselmyer on Channel 11 here in Baltimore is very conservative but on tonight's newscast he already started honking about the Tuesday storm. He rarely honks 6 days out so i am getting a little excited that maybe we get something decent.

(Joe Bastardi: "Economic impact of cold from Jan 20-Feb 5 on the US will be the winter equal of a major hurricane hit on US.")

https://twitter.com/SwellTheChorus/status/423555797700730881

The CONUS might see mean January temperatures of -1F, which will prove globular worming is a lie! 

DCA January temp departure forecast:  -1.5F

euro tuesday, heartbreaker -  2-3"

Mixy coastal at day 9

normally, I would get more excited but the reason why it improved for us is that it became....yep, more progressive

if things follow the script for most of this winter, the system will fly by us with only flurries (at best)

hopefully, this is the exception

They do for North Jersey which is where he lives...very nice post, but of no use to us...

No use? How so...He is discussing the large scale pattern and how it may evolve. I thought it was a pretty well done analysis of how this pattern may play out, and if it goes anything like the guidance is advertising, even DC will have some good ops to get out of its snowless funk.

No use? How so...He is discussing the large scale pattern and how it may evolve. I thought it was a pretty well done analysis of how this pattern may play out, and if it goes anything like the guidance is advertising, even DC will have some good ops to get out of its snowless funk.

Pessimism pays off 99% of the time in these parts.

Looks like we're getting our modeled snow now...lol

I scanned over everything and while not perfect it's still a pretty good progression imo for some chances. 

We're stuck in a tightly spaced amplified pattern with fast moving and relatively dry vorts through mid next week. Trough in the east broadens and it looks like the gulf will possibly be tapped. 

Going forward there is a lot of cold to the north and op and ens runs show plenty of moisture across the south. GEFS members have some pretty wet solutions and the op runs are starting to show this as well. 

Arctic boundary won't be static. It will retreat and press with reinforcing cold shots from what I see. Would could poorly time something and end up wet before we get cold/dry but we could also time moisture streaming up from the ms valley into cold air. Who knows really. Just speculation. 

Any big wrapped up storms are likely to be miller B's and we know those problems. Could also have stuff cut to the west or overhead with no block. 

At least it looks like cold holds overhead and nearby for a week to 10 days and there are growing signs of gulf and split flow. Should be a fun week or 2 with plenty of rollercoaster threats. 

Euro ensembles have been very steady with the lw pattern from mid next week on. Once the pna retros we'll have much better chances at an accum event. Looks like places north might get pounded. We're used to that though. 

This pattern that looks to set up starting middle of next week is really interesting and it looks really good. The best pattern we've seen in a while probably, so we will have shots of snow.

It's going to take time for the models to pinpoint storms and get them right, so sit back and wait. It's a good pattern. 

almost none of the analogs showing up had decent snow events....I think this is more of a cold pattern than snow one...hopefully get an event or 2 that is more than a cartopper, but I doubt I get any event more than 1-3" IMBY before end of January...

almost none of the analogs showing up had decent snow events....I think this is more of a cold pattern than snow one...hopefully get an event or 2 that is more than a cartopper, but I doubt I get any event more than 1-3" IMBY before end of January...

well, my hope, fwiw, is that this pattern is still in transition and by the time we hit the 10-15 day analog period  we will be out of this pattern

if it was stable pattern or the pattern we were transitioning to, then I'd have less hope

well, my hope, fwiw, is that this pattern is still in transition and by the time we hit the 10-15 day analog period  we will be out of this pattern

if it was stable pattern or the pattern we were transitioning to, then I'd have less hope

yeah..but I am also looking at 11-15 day analogs...The type of pattern that is consistently being advertised, usually won't bring us anything more than a small snowfall..which is fine...1-3/2-4 to me is most likely with localized higher...

This is why I don't get all excited when 40N people wax about an "epic" pattern

NYC average snow - 25.1", My average snow - 17.7"

2012-13: NYC - 26.1", IMBY - 5.0"

2010-11: NYC - 61.9", IMBY - 12.5"

2008-09: NYC - 27.6", IMBY - 10.25"

2005-06: NYC - 40.0", IMBY - 17.5"

2004-05: NYC - 41.0", IMBY - 17.0"

2003-04: NYC - 42.6", IMBY - 13.5"

2000-01: NYC - 35.0", IMBY - 9.0"

Now of course there are years where we are closer or I beat them,...I cherry picked... but often recently there is no "WE"..."we" means failure for me...

yeah..but I am also looking at 11-15 day analogs...The type of pattern that is consistently being advertised, usually won't bring us anything more than a small snowfall..which is fine...1-3/2-4 to me is most likely with localized higher...

Kinda standard jan fare so hardly a shocker. I remember very few big jan storms but plenty of small ones 

Yup, I guess cold and dry is better than warm and dry? I mean-- it feels like winter and all. 

Archived