• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late January - Early February Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

Bob, I think the low track north because the next northern stream system gets too close to it and the vort and low start responding to it.  It's the solution the euro had yesterday and still sort of has (I think). 

Ji,   Without a southern stream, systems digging southward tend to have trough getting fat enough south to save us.  We don't have any confluence to keep pressures high over the lakes or northeast.  We still can get clippers if they dig far enough south or we can get a faux southern stream by retrograding the ridge a bit to allow a little more room for systems to dig and have the tail end of some trough spit away from it.  Yesterday's D+11 liked that idea,  today's looks fairly similar but the analogs aren't so bullish on snow but are on cold. 

Bob, I think the low track north because the next northern stream system gets too close to it and the vort and low start responding to it.  It's the solution the euro had yesterday and still sort of has (I think). 

Ji,   Without a southern stream, systems digging southward tend to have trough getting fat enough south to save us.  We don't have any confluence to keep pressures high over the lakes or northeast.  We still can get clippers if they dig far enough south or we can get a faux southern stream by retrograding the ridge a bit to allow a little more room for systems to dig and have the tail end of some trough spit away from it.  Yesterday's D+11 liked that idea,  today's looks fairly similar but the analogs aren't so bullish on snow but are on cold. 

That's what I have been seeing...other than 1/61 which randomly keeps popping up...I am not impressed with the other analogs for snow

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I have been seeing...other than 1/61 which randomly keeps popping up...I am not impressed with the other analogs for snow

I think before the month is out we still have a pretty good chance at a 2 incher.  Maybe I'm just getting weenyish.  You'd think eventually a clipper would deliver us some snow.

I think before the month is out we still have a pretty good chance at a 2 incher.  Maybe I'm just getting weenyish.  You'd think eventually a clipper would deliver us some snow.

even 1/22 has a chance even though it may be too warm....after 1/22 until end of the month we have better chances, I would think?

As I mentioned yesterday, 13 out of the last 14 winters I have gotten at least one 1"+ event in the 1/17 - 1/30 window....the one exception being 2006 when we were in a horrible warm pattern during that stretch

Its funny cause when I read stuff like this from you my initial thought is... well duh.. it is mid January I like my chances for a two incher also... but taken with in context and given the source... that usually means things are looking pretty good.  

Any way, I was very impressed by the last time you said the pattern was looking favorable.. around New Years... you nailed.  

Its funny cause when I read stuff like this from you my initial thought is... well duh.. it is mid January I like my chances for a two incher also... but taken with in context and given the source... that usually means things are looking pretty good.  

Any way, I was very impressed by the last time you said the pattern was looking favorable.. around New Years... you nailed.  

I don't think it's a great pattern but the persistent cold and time of year makes it likely we see some type of clipper get south of us. Today's GEFS analogs were not very exciting for snow so don't get carried away.  Tomorrow I'll be doing an article on the pattern and will address our snow chances.  I actually thought we had a chance of getting an inch this week coming up as I thought one of the shortwave digging south of us might allow us to score so don't get too impressed. 

The heartbreaker isn't the worst thing...we should get a better clipper track on its heels...

i guess we have different definition of heartbreaker. Heartbreaker to me is being modeled for days to get a big snowstorm and then get the rug pulled out 1-3 days before the event

Dec 30, Jan 2005, March 2001, Boxing day,etc

i guess we have different definition of heartbreaker. Heartbreaker to me is being modeled for days to get a big snowstorm and then get the rug pulled out 1-3 days before the event

Dec 30, Jan 2005, March 2001, Boxing day,etc

i know...we are going to be modeled soon...that is the whole point...though it will be too warm at the surface and we will ignore it

i know...we are going to be modeled soon...that is the whole point...though it will be too warm at the surface and we will ignore it

i hope so...part of winter fun is having modeled snow but i dont think we will get even modeled for this event with the pattern the way it is. Remember a few years ago, the euro had us modeled for 24-30 inches of snow for 2-3 runs in the 168-192 hour...and then eventually it become a rainstorm for us tracking to the west. I think we got a car topper before it changed to rain

Archived