Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Late January - Early February Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

you could see early on that the ns was not pressing SE, but ESE

if it presses more south as it did on earlier runs, result is better

It's a giant ball of spinning cold with a broad trough compared to the next 5 days. Logic says backside energy will dig. No worries here overall. We'll get asspiles of looks as we move forward.

Good God the cold runs are stacking up now. I'm sharpening my skates. Potomac is going to jam somewhere. Good photo ops for sure.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a giant ball of spinning cold with a broad trough compared to the next 5 days. Logic says backside energy will dig. No worries here overall. We'll get asspiles of looks as we move forward.

Good God the cold runs are stacking up now. I'm sharpening my skates. Potomac is going to jam somewhere. Good photo ops for sure.

Cold/dry. You know the tune.

We always trend the wrong way. The weekend clippers are a joke. The jan 21-22 event has vanished. We never lose a modeled rainstorm ...

You and I both know it will trend better. And then freak us out wirh a monster. And go the other way again. We'll get our fix of modeled snow.

Ss is alive and well for somebody somewhere

Individual op runs are not much use at medium range and esp in the pattern that is evolving. Yesterdays 12z GFS looked great, 0z not so much. Look at the pattern...with all the arctic air that is going to be around and the baroclinic zone just offshore, eventually one of these shortwaves will sharpen the trough and something is gonna pop along the coast. Canadian model is on-board..

Individual op runs are not much use at medium range and esp in the pattern that is evolving. Yesterdays 12z GFS looked great, 0z not so much. Look at the pattern...with all the arctic air that is going to be around and the baroclinic zone just offshore, eventually one of these shortwaves will sharpen the trough and something is gonna pop along the coast. Canadian model is on-board..

Yes. I think Wes mentioned this as well. Whatever comes may be on short notice. I will take it.

Most probably realize this, but if we get a super cold arctic air mass we typically don't get tons of snow in the same period. 85 and 94 had some snow, but not a lot.

Most probably realize this, but if we get a super cold arctic air mass we typically don't get tons of snow in the same period. 85 and 94 had some snow, but not a lot.

Who is expecting tons of snow? Its not going to happen, at least initially. But light to moderate events seem realistic.

There are exceptions to every rule. I well remember late January of 1966. On Friday January 28 it was mostly sunny and very cold with a high of 20 degrees. Saturday into Sunday, the 29th and 30th brought 16.5 inches of snow  with a high of only 7 degrees and a low of 2............Those were the days and yes, it can happen........  

There are exceptions to every rule. I well remember late January of 1966. On Friday January 28 it was mostly sunny and very cold with a high of 20 degrees. Saturday into Sunday, the 29th and 30th brought 16.5 inches of snow  with a high of only 7 degrees and a low of 2............Those were the days and yes, it can happen........  

Your dates are a bit off but who cares about accuracy...Most significant daily Jan 96 max cold departures were a bit ho hum...-10 to -15...Two weeks later it was in the high 50s low 60s and all the snow was gone.

Your dates are a bit off but who cares about accuracy...Most significant daily Jan 96 max cold departures were a bit ho hum...-10 to -15...Two weeks later it was in the high 50s low 60s and all the snow was gone.

My dates are exactly right my friend!  They are from my personal diary for 1966.......................

About half last nights ec members show accum snow in some fashion between the 22nd and 24th. Nothing fancy. Most bullish members are 4-5" but few of them. Ens mean for DCA snow during the 10 days is just 1.8" Just relaying the info. 

is it me or did the 11-15 day Euro ensembles not look as great? 

is it me or did the 11-15 day Euro ensembles not look as great? 

Yeah they are getting that retrogression going in a hurry. Our concerns for a warm shot Feb 5-10 are definitely there. All ensembles agree on two major PV displacements between Jan 23-Feb 1. It will be behind each rotation that we watch for a threat. Right now, it was the Canadian Ensembles on the 00z run that had the most assertive EPO to NAO connection, forcing an ideal pattern at the end of the month for snow.

Plenty of time...

Archived