• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Winter 13-14' Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

Chicago Storm

Modern day modeling persistantly has problems with trough placement in the 120-168hr timeframe. Why would the stj  be so far southeast is lol worthy. Makes no sense looking at the upper level pattern. Makes the run useless and a waste of money.

What? Wanna explain this better or it just some more angrysummons hand waving and wishcasting?

Yeah I disagree, as modeled the subtropical jet is in the correct location, the problem is there are too many vorts coming out ahead of it without giving the main system enough time dig and amplify the pattern. The question is whether or not the pattern will be essentially too active to allow any sort of amplification or it if will remain quasi-zonal until the EPO falls off the cliff again.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Modern day modeling persistantly has problems with trough placement in the 120-168hr timeframe. Why would the stj  be so far southeast is lol worthy. Makes no sense looking at the upper level pattern. Makes the run useless and a waste of money.

classic ridging bias. why those ops think that trough is going to almost move dead east is lol worthy. either backbuild or get lost.

Please keep pulling this nonsense out of thin air, it's not like we have been looking at this for one model cycle.

I am hoping for the temps to moderate and tease us with a slight warm up.  This way the flooding potential is held at bay and we can continue this glorious weather. Even at 15-19 °F in the full sun is absolutely gorgeous. This winter 20 is the new 40 WRT normal temps. I say lets have the 7th inning stretch and get back to winter, were nearing the end of an epic game.

I am hoping for the temps to moderate and tease us with a slight warm up.  This way the flooding potential is held at bay and we can continue this glorious weather. Even at 15-19 °F in the full sun is absolutely gorgeous. This winter 20 is the new 40 WRT normal temps. I say lets have the 7th inning stretch and get back to winter, were nearing the end of an epic game.

It is what is needed to avoid catastrophe. The depth and water content of snow on the FROZEN ground (little runoff) and depth of the ice on lakes would not sit well with a sudden torch of 55-60F for several days (as some earlier models had hinted at). A slow melt is what is best.

Low 40s for highs with lows in the upper 20s for an extended period would be great for reducing the flooding threat. If the EURO is right, then that's not what is in store exactly.

True but even the Euro only has the one very warm day and that is because of the storm. None of the other models have even 40F for an extended time.

NAEFS is nasty nasty cold the last week of Feb/early March.. . targeted for Detroit into the Ohio Valley...  Good stuff.  Spring fail ... 

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/ensemble/naefs/semaine2/images/2014021500_054@007_E1_north@america_I_NAEFS@TEMPERATURE_anomaly@probability@combined@week2_198.png

3 days running now.  Lock it in boys.  We need a few more subzero high temps :)

The full moon seldom lies.........  Very difficult to have a pattern change of large magnitude when not in phase of the moon. (Full or New) Warmth might be brought north with a storm but a full out shift to spring IMO is not likely. Then again this winter is far from normal.

The full moon seldom lies.........  Very difficult to have a pattern change of large magnitude when not in phase of the moon. (Full or New) Warmth might be brought north with a storm but a full out shift to spring IMO is not likely. Then again this winter is far from normal.

That's not the only thing that's far from normal...

Channeling your inner Roger Smith?

Archived