• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Winter 13-14' Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

Chicago Storm

Incredible windfields with that as the surface low bombs to 975 mb @ 168 hrs, H7 was showing winds of 70-90 kts at 18z, intensifying to 100 kts at 168, LLJ in excess of 70 kts, H5 well over 100 kts.

It's not like instability is non-existent either, especially when you consider the cold mid level temps this thing would likely spread over at least part of the warm sector.

That's one of the keys to this setup (well, many setups really).  Been checking this on the GFS and mid level lapse rates at least look respectable in the warm sector.  Also, with questions on how the melting snow would affect boundary layer temps, a setup that doesn't need a ton of surface heating could make that issue less significant.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's one of the keys to this setup (well, many setups really).  Been checking this on the GFS and mid level lapse rates at least look respectable in the warm sector.  Also, with questions on how the melting snow would affect boundary layer temps, a setup that doesn't need a ton of surface heating could make that issue less significant.

Euro was showing around 500-700 J/kg in MI with temps/dews in the mid to upper 50s. It won't take much at all to get things going if that is the case.

Euro was showing around 500-700 J/kg in MI with temps/dews in the mid to upper 50s. It won't take much at all to get things going if that is the case.

Euro must have pretty good lapse rates then?  You wouldn't get that kind of instability with those temps/dewpoints if there wasn't.

Euro must have pretty good lapse rates then?  You wouldn't get that kind of instability with those temps/dewpoints if there wasn't.

WxBell doesn't have 700 or 500mb temps but just looking at the thickness plots, I would venture to guess the lapse rates are really good actually.

With late next week either the GFS is gonna be terribly wrong or the euro? Perhaps both?

Yes both models have decent systems but the timing is quite a bit off between the two.

As have the CFS weeklies. It makes the torch even MORE painful. Mind you, I have not gone crazy and am mad it looks to get cold again laugh.png. I am just mad that it looks like it will be a worthless short-lived torch that could cause a flooding disaster. Hopefully it can be tempered somewhat and the temps above 50F very short lived so we can curb extreme flooding and maybe save some snowpack. If it verifies, some pattern change, huh? lmaosmiley.gif

Wow... 

Now back to the models...

NAEFS is horrible.  Cold looks a little more east, but the California death ridge is back:

Well with such a strong system(s) forecast for next week, it only makes sense that it will be cold in this region immediately afterwards.

Seems to be pretty strong signals of a cold down for at least the last week of February with the return of -EPO. Nothing new here. One thing I've noticed the last several runs of the GFS is that there's also a +PNA signal showing up. So while we may return to the icebox, it could very well be accompanied by a garbage NW flow pattern. 

The torch isn't looking so torchy anymore.

Yeah especially north of the OH River. Although previous runs were warmer with the GFS, this run nothing dug into the Southwest and everything stayed northern steam dominant. In that sense it is handling next week completely different than before.

This winter is going to cause people who loved winter to hate it.

Seems like that's already the case.

I'm fine with snow chances continuing into March since we're adding on to an all-time record but I'd rather not see any more really cold stuff.  Trying to maintain snowcover here is a losing battle by then so it can be 70 degrees in between the snow chances for all I care. 

Seems like that's already the case.

I'm fine with snow chances continuing into March since we're adding on to an all-time record but I'd rather not see any more really cold stuff.  Trying to maintain snowcover here is a losing battle by then so it can be 70 degrees in between the snow chances for all I care. 

Mid March is my cut off, sure I can deal with April snow because I know it has no staying power, but this below zero stuff is getting old. Not to mention that it hasn't been above freezing here but 2 days out of the last 32.

00z GFS has a pocket of -30C 850 mb temps tickling Lake Superior as the calendar turns to March.  You gotta be kidding me.

Is that even possible at that late date?!

Geos.

I'll be wishing for a well above normal April, that's for sure! haha

Archived