wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Winter 13-14' Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having it look like that into the GoA is just getting old.  I wonder how long the -EPO can keep hold heading into March. 

Yeah...it means more manageable cold, but i could really go for a streak of some mild temps just to start cleaning (garage, cars, etc)...this snow around here has been sitting on the ground since early December...it gets ghetto after that much time...

I just wonder if this should happen (a return to below norm temps again), does it continue through spring???  If we have a spring like 2013 i might end up in an institution.  :oldman:

Haha, classic cooler near the lake setup on that map!

Yeah I would love a snow free yard for like a weekend, so I can start cleaning things up. 

EURO big on convective rains next Thursday. I've seen snow packs wiped out overnight by convection before.

Yeah...it means more manageable cold, but i could really go for a streak of some mild temps just to start cleaning (garage, cars, etc)...this snow around here has been sitting on the ground since early December...it gets ghetto after that much time...

I just wonder if this should happen (a return to below norm temps again), does it continue through spring???  If we have a spring like 2013 i might end up in an institution.  :oldman:

I wouldn't be upset if we torched for a few days, cleaned up the pavement and then got a small dump to cover up the rubbish snow piles that will follow the torch. I really would like to hose out my garage.

lol, you never know on this forum anymore. But I was 99% sure you were still all in on wanting more wintry opportunities. :D

And yep, signal is for more cold after this mild up next week. Hopefully that happens, because we're oh so close to breaking 60" here...and need some more chances.

I see the latest CFS has gone cold for March (not that I trust it as far as I can throw it). Nevertheless though, that's taboo around here...so we'll keep that between me and you. :whistle:

Cfs has been Ellbent on a cold march except for a few runs.

Near normal for most of the region, and slightly below normal for North of I-80. I'd take that in a heartbeat considering by that point normal here is around 37 for a high.

Not so fast. Everything is a hope and prayer at days 9-10, but 0z Euro ensemble mean has a little better look to me...if you're pulling for such a thing. Far from perfect of course, and most likely "warm"/wet here, but...

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=namk&MODELL=ecmwfens&MODELLTYP=2&BASE=-&VAR=t85p&HH=240&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=72530&PERIOD=

You can utilize the recurring Rossby Wave Train and ISO as well for long range ideas.

Example...

@Mattygizme RT'd this 
https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/434036623617974273 (see tweet for the date that is ref'd in image)

I then tweeted @Mattygizme this

"@Mattygizme short-term ISO is ~21 days. Go back ~62 days (3rd harmonic) & see DEC21 - http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/131221_rpts.html then (see next tweet)"

"@Mattygizme on DEC21 the short-term ISO was ~17 days. Go back ~51 days (3rd harmonic) & see OCT31 - http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/131031_rpts.html - BAM #ISO"

This may be the most perfect year to define how the ISO translates to the mid latitudes.

Warmest the EURO gets next week.

180 hours

Latest CFS showing the coldest departures staying along the US/Canada border. Below normal from about February 25th-March 22nd across the region as a whole.

Coldest 10th-15th period, with departures pushing -6°C in the far NW by Superior.

Latest CFS showing the coldest departures staying along the US/Canada border. Below normal from about February 25th-March 22nd across the region as a whole.

Coldest 10th-15th period, with departures pushing -6°C in the far NW by Superior.

A long range technique based on ISO and the recurring Rossby Wave Train shows the warm-up next weekend (1) and a typical March to come (2) for WI and it's borders.

BgZ01KvCcAAfBqx.png

Can you seriously imagine what would happen if we got another ice storm? This city would freak out, perhaps justifiably. Won't happen though.

When do you fly in from Edmonton?

Last time he came, he was just in time for the ice storm, lmao. I'd laugh if the same thing happens again.  :lmao: How Ironic.

And another "oh man" run from the 00z Euro.

Incredible windfields with that as the surface low bombs to 975 mb @ 168 hrs, H7 was showing winds of 70-90 kts at 18z, intensifying to 100 kts at 168, LLJ in excess of 70 kts, H5 well over 100 kts.

It's not like instability is non-existent either, especially when you consider the cold mid level temps this thing would likely spread over at least part of the warm sector.

Archived