• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Cold temps thread Fri/Sat Jan 3-4

Damage In Tolland

Okay, what happens if you ski at the snow pile? Do you go up it or does it just puff away around you?

No those are pretty solid...it's dry cold snow on the surface but probably blue towards the bottom as the water drains out. Cheap snow though at these temps.

The groomers will push that all around the trail and even it out some...but fattest down the middle. Then they can blade it out to the sides on the trail as necessary later in the season once spring comes and the edges melt back. This is the second time through on most trails...first snowmaking effort includes a dust and run to get the trail open on a 1-3 foot base. Now we go back and bury the place to get our "spring depths" to carry us through April.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That PWM temp may be the most anomalous ever recorded for a New Emgland location.  I don't know what the averages were for PWM in 1943, but using today's norms, -39 would be 56F below the avg minimum.   It's 13F colder than their next lowest (I'm omitting the -31 on 2/15/43 as it was obviously an 11:59 PM reading as the temp dove for the record.)   I'm too lazy to do the research (it's not real important, anyway), but I'm guessing that -39 is the country's coldest sea level - well, 72 ft but less than 1,000' from salt water - until one gets north of the Aleutian Peninsula.

Question about the MA record:  When did they hit -40.  When I've checked, the record is listed at -35 at Chester in Jan 1981.  I'd hate to lose that one, if only because the same location also holds (in a tie) the state heat record with 107 on Hot Saturday in Aug 1975.

I'd be cautious of those Chester readings.  I believe that the BDL WFO stopped taking readings from there in the mid-late 80s because the guy was reporting temps too low in the winter and too high in the summer. 

Did he slant-stick his snowfall?

I'm not sure about snowfall, lol.  I did an internship at a Springfield station in the 80s and the guy was one of their weather watchers and he was always one of the extreme spots.  What I recall is that the WFO at BDL started to question some of his readings and even setup a thermograph and found that the numbers he was reporting didn't match the readings.

No those are pretty solid...it's dry cold snow on the surface but probably blue towards the bottom as the water drains out. Cheap snow though at these temps.

The groomers will push that all around the trail and even it out some...but fattest down the middle. Then they can blade it out to the sides on the trail as necessary later in the season once spring comes and the edges melt back. This is the second time through on most trails...first snowmaking effort includes a dust and run to get the trail open on a 1-3 foot base. Now we go back and bury the place to get our "spring depths" to carry us through April.

Please send this memo to Attitash , wtf are they doin w their $$

RADAR SUGGESTS A FEW LINGERING LAKE EFFECT SNOW
FLURRIES VICINITY NWRN ADDISON COUNTY...BUT THESE SHOULD ALSO END
THIS AFTN GIVEN DRY/ARCTIC AIR MASS WITH DEWPOINTS FALLING TO
AROUND -20F. THIS SETS UP A FRIGID NIGHT TONIGHT WITH LOWS -15F TO
-30F BEFORE MODERATING TEMPS COMMENCE SATURDAY MORNING. GIVEN
POSITION OF RIDGE AXIS ACROSS VT AT 12Z SATURDAY...MAY EVEN SEE
SOME ISOLATED -30F TO -40F
READINGS AROUND CANAAN AND ISLAND POND
IN THE NORTHEAST KINGDOM OF VERMONT.

-- End Changed Discussion --

Most of Central and Eastern SNE in the low to mid teens, where as western section in the single digits to below zero; I assume that's where the coldest readings will be found?

Winds should die down and everyone will radiate so the lower your starting point the better but some places can have larger diurnal ranges.

Interestingly, when I was looking at the -32°F reading in Coventry the high temp that day was 17° so you never know.

Winds should die down and everyone will radiate so the lower your starting point the better but some places can have larger diurnal ranges.

Interestingly, when I was looking at the -32°F reading in Coventry the high temp that day was 17° so you never know.

I noticed that as well. Seems like the super cold days that are good rad mornings can have some wild diurnal ranges. 

GFS and NAM MOS at -8 for BDL. If the usual "take the under" rule applies for a rad cooling morning post-snow -10 is a pretty decent bet. 

One thing I did think about looking at the snow depths for the epic 1961 cold streak at BDL (-26, -21, and -21) was that the snow depth was >2ft all 3 days. That's essentially putting your thermometer 2 feet closer to the ground which can make a difference of at least a few degrees. 

I noticed that as well. Seems like the super cold days that are good rad mornings can have some wild diurnal ranges. 

40F at my place Jan 1 (11/-29), and looking back to the 2009 cold wave when Maine reached -50, I measured 7/-36 and 12/-34 on Jan 16,17.  No idea what the high was at Big Black River on those days.

GFS and NAM MOS at -8 for BDL. If the usual "take the under" rule applies for a rad cooling morning post-snow -10 is a pretty decent bet. 

One thing I did think about looking at the snow depths for the epic 1961 cold streak at BDL (-26, -21, and -21) was that the snow depth was >2ft all 3 days. That's essentially putting your thermometer 2 feet closer to the ground which can make a difference of at least a few degrees. 

That's a good point and can make a difference but then again, that is the standard.

I would definitely take the under tonight....I'm thinking -10 to -13 should do it for me.

That's a good point and can make a difference but then again, that is the standard.

I would definitely take the under tonight....I'm thinking -10 to -13 should do it for me.

Absolutely... just like if the snow depth was 4ft you could get some really really low temperatures given the fact your 2m temp is really 2 feet or so. 

Steam on Lake Champlain at the BTV waterfront...photo from the BTV Free Press newspaper...BTV looking to go 24+ hours without the wind chill rising above -20F.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

superb picture.  Could you imagine being out on either of the ferries crossing the lake?  Would they even let anyone out on the deck?

Check out Euro 2m temps for tomorrow morning...wow  challenges State records

pic.twitter.com/dXh3AUixVG

Those have been too cold when we have fresh snow cover...its gonna get really cold in the rad spots, but we won't challenge state records. The non-rad spots are going to level off pretty early tonight I think with WAA aloft.

Lake Champlain should be producing good ice tonight.  The frigid cold makes me hopeful that the lake will close this year.  It's been a while, with the last closing occurring in 2007.  Here's the latest picture (updated weekly here) from December 30.  Looks like the southern half is ice-covered, and the bays on the VT side have ice.

2013Dec30.jpg

Archived