Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Cold temps thread Fri/Sat Jan 3-4

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lake Champlain should be producing good ice tonight.  The frigid cold makes me hopeful that the lake will close this year.  It's been a while, with the last closing occurring in 2007.  Here's the latest picture (updated weekly here) from December 30.  Looks like the southern half is ice-covered, and the bays on the VT side have ice.

I know it's not our region, but the Great Lakes are doing well too:

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/glcfs.php?hr=00&ext=ice&type=N&lake=l

I don't think today is all that impressive. Single digits high elevations and teens coast...we see that every winter. Now yesterday would be one of the most impressive cold events and that was with snow.

Yeah yesterday was literally one in 5 or 6 decades (if not rarer)...like its the type of cold near the coast you see during snowstorms only in Labrador or Alaska. Difficult to get that type of cold down even into coastal Nova Scotia or Maine during synoptic coastals...nevermind the coast of SNE.

Today is commonly what we might see during our coldest day of a non-torch winter.

I don't think today is all that impressive. Single digits high elevations and teens coast...we see that every winter. Now yesterday would be one of the most impressive cold events and that was with snow.

Today is certainly nothing to write home about but I think we'll see some once in 5-10 year numbers tomorrow morning.

As others have said, yesterday was just pure awesome.  It's hard to follow that!

Today is certainly nothing to write home about but I think we'll see some once in 5-10 year numbers tomorrow morning.

As others have said, yesterday was just pure awesome.  It's hard to follow that!

The typical radiators will drop, but I don't know how impressive places like ORH and BOS.

meh. It's cold - but it's a pretty typical "cold winter day" - nothing is blowing my mind during the day.

What is interesting is tonight's cold - really classic rad cooling setup. 

When was the last time Norfolk had a high of 2 and full sun? Maybe it happens every year I don't know..But i would guess it's not more than once every 10 years or so

Archived