Newest Member
    amirah5
Cold temps thread Fri/Sat Jan 3-4

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris tossing out a SWS

...VERY COLD TEMPERATURES EXPECTED TONIGHT...A BITTERLY COLD ARCTIC AIR MASS WILL COMBINE WITH LIGHT ANDVARIABLE WINDS OVER FRESH SNOW TO PRODUCE LOW TEMPERATURES WELLBELOW ZERO TONIGHT. TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO PLUMMET TO NEAR30 BELOW ACROSS NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE AND THE MOUNTAINS OFWESTERN MAINE...WITH READINGS OF NEAR 10 BELOW EXPECTED RIGHT TOTHE COASTLINE. THESE WILL BE SOME OF THE COLDEST LOW TEMPERATUREREADINGS ACROSS THE AREA IN THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS.EVEN THOUGH THERE WILL BE LITTLE IF ANY WIND...PROLONGED EXPOSURETO THESE TYPES OF VERY COLD TEMPERATURES CAN BE HAZARDOUS.TEMPERATURES BELOW ZERO CAN LEAD TO FROSTBITE OR HYPOTHERMIA IFYOU ARE NOT PROPERLY PREPARED FOR THE COLD. IF YOU ARE PLANNING TOVENTURE OUTSIDE TONIGHT INTO EARLY SATURDAY MORNING...DRESSAPPROPRIATELY FOR THE VERY COLD TEMPERATURES.

I don't think those two stations alone should be the arbiter of whether the air mass is impressive.  Yes it's typical but if a widespread area sees temps that they only see every 5-10 years, that's a stand out to me.

Radiators are the last places to gauge cold. It's warming to 534 thicknesses aloft by tomorrow morning...that is not very cold at all. High overhead will lead to fake cold, but it doesn't really act as a good proxy for the airmass.

Who is seeing temps they only see every 5-10 years?

Some of the rad spots in N MA and SW NH might...ORE has MOS getting them to like -24F or -25F...that would beat out 2011 and 2009...prob gotta go back pretty far to match that.

Its mainly a function of perfect radiational cooling setup with fresh snow cover and a retreating arctic airmass that is still holding on enough to give a good launch spot to dive tonight.

The 1/22/84 airmass was kind of similar...it really wasn't an epic airmass in terms of the whole column. 850mb was warming (to like -15C by morning) but a high overhead with snow cover was ideal.

NCEP's suggesting the cold shot next week surpasses this one.  Perhaps ... but some of these AFD warning statements out there amid the nose of this next arctic invasion are astounding...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LA CROSSE WI
1226 PM CST FRI JAN 3 2014

...LIFE-THREATENING COLD SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING WITH RECORD COLD TEMPERATURES POSSIBLE...

.BRISK SOUTH WINDS GUSTING TO 45 MPH ARE PRODUCING BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW ACROSS SOUTHEAST MINNESOTA AND PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST
IOWA. EXPECT THE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW TO EXPAND ACROSS THE REST OF NORTHEAST IOWA INTO FAR SOUTHWEST WISCONSIN THROUGH THE
AFTERNOON. LOOK FOR THE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW TO DIMINISH WEST TO EAST AFTER MIDNIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING.

DANGEROUSLY COLD AIR THEN BEGINS TO FLOW INTO THE REGION LATE SATURDAY. BY SUNDAY NIGHT...TEMPERATURES WILL PLUMMET INTO THE 25 TO 30 BELOW ZERO RANGE WITH WIND CHILL VALUES OF 35 TO 50 BELOW ZERO. THE WORST WIND CHILLS LOOK TO OCCUR MONDAY MORNING WHEN WIND CHILL READINGS COULD PLUMMET TO 60 BELOW ZERO AT TIMES. THE DANGEROUS COLD IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN OVER THE REGION THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING. THIS WILL BE THE COLDEST AIR SEEN ACROSS THE AREA SINCE FEBRUARY 1996.

By the way, (somewhat OT but related...) NIC ice monitoring shows that areas of the GL have ice flows/pack expanding.  Just looking back at the last 10 years, this is a relatively rare phenomenon for so early in a cold season.

Radiators are the last places to gauge cold. It's warming to 534 thicknesses aloft by tomorrow morning...that is not very cold at all. High overhead will lead to fake cold, but it doesn't really act as a good proxy for the airmass.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the definition of a cold air mass.  I'm talking about areal coverage of cold on the surface and public interpretation of temperatures.  If you combine yesterday's extremes, today's average and tomorrow morning's below average I think the average Joe will say that this was a stand out cold air mass.  Meteorologically speaking no.

Who is seeing temps they only see every 5-10 years?

I think many places will see temps that they don't see that often.  I see -11 every couple of years but I haven't been below -13 for 8 and I think I have a fair shot at seeing that.  I'm sure others will see temps that they don't see every year as well.

Eh...I'm at 1.7F right now and I can't count many days where I was this cold this early in the evening since I moved here. It's nothing unheard of, but I don't think it's meh cold...at least not up here.

We had some sort of secondary boundary go through this afternoon though. We had some high gusts, some -SHSN, a quick dew drop into the mid -10s, and the air temp began to slowly drop from that point on.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the definition of a cold air mass.  I'm talking about areal coverage of cold on the surface and public interpretation of temperatures.  If you combine yesterday's extremes, today's average and tomorrow morning's below average I think the average Joe will say that this was a stand out cold air mass.  Meteorologically speaking no.

I think many places will see temps that they don't see that often.  I see -11 every couple of years but I haven't been below -13 for 8 and I think I have a fair shot at seeing that.  I'm sure others will see temps that they don't see every year as well.

I agree 100% about yesterday...but it's fleeting now.

Eh...I'm at 1.7F right now and I can't count many days where I was this cold this early in the evening since I moved here. It's nothing unheard of, but I don't think it's meh cold...at least not up here.

We had some sort of secondary boundary go through this afternoon though. We had some high gusts, some -SHSN, a quick dew drop into the mid -10s, and the air temp began to slowly drop from that point on.

Yeah it's not meh cold anywhere. This is one of the more memorable cold shots SNE has seen over the last 50 years..esp the daytime highs the last 2 days

The 1/22/84 airmass was kind of similar...it really wasn't an epic airmass in terms of the whole column. 850mb was warming (to like -15C by morning) but a high overhead with snow cover was ideal.

One of the coldest CON readings on record and the coldest since 1943.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/CON/1984/1/22/DailyHistory.html

Maybe some diamond dust in the coldest valleys tonight?

Yeah I was thinking that too ...  Machine guidance drops most sites some 5 to as much as 20F lower than their current DPs for lows, and as the temperature drops like a nympho prom date and passes through that temperature frost and pixie dust should take place. 

Yeah it's not meh cold anywhere. This is one of the more memorable cold shots SNE has seen over the last 50 years..esp the daytime highs the last 2 days

I understand both points. Yesterday was historical...today & tomorrow are impressive, but probably not historical.

Seems like a 5-10 year cold shot?

It depends on where you are for this one. For your backyard, it won't be tonight...you'll get below zero but probably not as low as 1/24/11 and certainly not as low as Jan 2004 and 2005 I don't think. Same deal with ORH airport.

The radional cooling spots though, this is an ideal setup for them that doesn't come along all too often.

I understand both points. Yesterday was historical...today & tomorrow are impressive, but probably not historical.

I guess that is what I mean. Maybe some rural areas have a 5 yr..perhaps 10 (although not sure about that)..but I don't think some valley in the middle of nowhere dictates the magnitude of the cold. Yesterday was a completely different beast.

NCEP's suggesting the cold shot next week surpasses this one.  Perhaps ... but some of these AFD warning statements out there amid the nose of this next arctic invasion are astounding...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LA CROSSE WI

1226 PM CST FRI JAN 3 2014

...LIFE-THREATENING COLD SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING WITH RECORD COLD TEMPERATURES POSSIBLE...

.BRISK SOUTH WINDS GUSTING TO 45 MPH ARE PRODUCING BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW ACROSS SOUTHEAST MINNESOTA AND PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST

IOWA. EXPECT THE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW TO EXPAND ACROSS THE REST OF NORTHEAST IOWA INTO FAR SOUTHWEST WISCONSIN THROUGH THE

AFTERNOON. LOOK FOR THE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW TO DIMINISH WEST TO EAST AFTER MIDNIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING.

DANGEROUSLY COLD AIR THEN BEGINS TO FLOW INTO THE REGION LATE SATURDAY. BY SUNDAY NIGHT...TEMPERATURES WILL PLUMMET INTO THE 25 TO 30 BELOW ZERO RANGE WITH WIND CHILL VALUES OF 35 TO 50 BELOW ZERO. THE WORST WIND CHILLS LOOK TO OCCUR MONDAY MORNING WHEN WIND CHILL READINGS COULD PLUMMET TO 60 BELOW ZERO AT TIMES. THE DANGEROUS COLD IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN OVER THE REGION THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING. THIS WILL BE THE COLDEST AIR SEEN ACROSS THE AREA SINCE FEBRUARY 1996.

By the way, (somewhat OT but related...) NIC ice monitoring shows that areas of the GL have ice flows/pack expanding.  Just looking back at the last 10 years, this is a relatively rare phenomenon for so early in a cold season.

Looks like the coming cold wave nails the midwest first and worst, rather than having the center of cold not all that far north of the St.Lawrence.  Snowpack will limit modification, but I think there will be some, at least compared to direct drive from Chicoutimi. 

Archived