• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
01/02/14 to 01/03/14 Snow Storm Observations

WeatherFox

Looking at the radar echoes the heavy bands were on the south shore last night, I got 9", Heavier bands didnt seem to make it past Todt Hill (its topography might act as a very localized "shadowing" effect where areas west of todt hill got less intense bands)

I think that Todt Hill effect is very real. It has happened numerous times that eastern and southern parts of Staten Island do better in these "cold" storms. Northern and western parts tend to avoid changeovers and have better ratios in close call storms or storms with mixing lines. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that Todt Hill effect is very real. It has happened numerous times that eastern and southern parts of Staten Island do better in these "cold" storms. Northern and western parts tend to avoid changeovers and have better ratios in close call storms or storms with mixing lines. 

Which side of SI do you live in and how much did you get?

Am curious as to people's thoughts on the wide disparity frequently seen between neighboring towns on NWS snowfall reports.  For all the in depth analysis, discussion, banter, predictions about how much will fall, I would think that objective reliable sources would be looked to for verification.  What in fact is used for verification?  Is it only certain locations, certain certified spotters, or something else?  Case in point, and this is just an example -- I could point back to similar situations with most important storms over the last five years -- you've got neighboring towns with similar geography, microclimate etc.  in south Nassau, LI today, with measurements which are 6 inches apart.  Yes, I know banding can sometimes cause wide disparities, but not most of the time as we tend to see.  Thoughts?

Which side of SI do you live in and how much did you get?

I actually live in Hoboken but grew up on SI and I am there often for storms (get to take them in better at my parents than in my Hoboken apartment)

I had to go to work this morning so I couldnt measure but I would say 8 easy. Probably pushing 9. Tough to say with drifts. My parents place is in Oakwood, so south and somewhat east of Todt Hill. 

I actually live in Hoboken but grew up on SI and I am there often for storms (get to take them in better at my parents than in my Hoboken apartment)

I had to go to work this morning so I couldnt measure but I would say 8 easy. Probably pushing 9. Tough to say with drifts. My parents place is in Oakwood, so south and somewhat east of Todt Hill. 

Oakwood did good for sure, bands were coming in from the ocean

Looks like Queens was one of the jackpot areas for this storm. Makes sense. There was great banding over us for hours from 1am to 4am...Looks like a borough wide 8"-11.5" event for Queens:

...QUEENS COUNTY...
SOUTH OZONE PARK 11.5 1130 AM 1/03 TRAINED SPOTTER
MIDDLE VILLAGE 10.8 700 AM 1/03 PUBLIC
KEW GARDENS 10.5 908 AM 1/03 PUBLIC
BAYSIDE 10.0 1200 PM 1/03 PUBLIC
GLENDALE 10.0 600 AM 1/03 PUBLIC
ASTORIA 8.1 750 AM 1/03 PUBLIC
REGO PARK 8.0 925 AM 1/03 TRAINED SPOTTER
NYC/JFK AIRPORT 7.9 100 PM 1/03 FAA CONTRACT OBSERVER
WOODSIDE 7.8 500 AM 1/03 TRAINED SPOTTER
OAKLAND GARDENS 7.8 925 AM 1/03 TRAINED SPOTTER

Looks like Queens was one of the jackpot areas for this storm. Makes sense. There was great banding over us for hours from 1am to 4am...Looks like a borough wide 8"-11.5" event for Queens:

...QUEENS COUNTY...

And Forest Hills came in with 6, lol.... no way considering we border Kew Gardens... I think we ended up with 9.5, but wasn't up early enough to get a proper measurement.

...PASSAIC COUNTY...
BLOOMINGDALE 7.8 700 AM 1/03 TRAINED SPOTTER
WAYNE 6.5 1000 AM 1/03 TRAINED SPOTTER
WEST MILFORD 6.0 1100 AM 1/03 TRAINED SPOTTER
HASKELL 6.0 800 AM 1/03 TRAINED SPOTTER
RINGWOOD 6.0 600 AM 1/03 TRAINED SPOTTER
CLIFTON 5.0 403 AM 1/03 NJ DOT

way off in bloomingdale, 6 max

And Forest Hills came in with 6, lol.... no way considering we border Kew Gardens... I think we ended up with 9.5, but wasn't up early enough to get a proper measurement.

I left out LGA also, which is a 7:00am measurement.

JFK adjusted to 7.9" at 1:00pm.

So I hope LGA's next and final report is near 8"+ as well.

6.9" is a touch too low.

...QUEENS COUNTY...

8-12" across Long Island and much of NYC turned out to be a good estimate. 10" here is definitely a top tier event considering we had no rain or sleet.

8-12" across Long Island and much of NYC turned out to be a good estimate. 10" here is definitely a top tier event considering we had no rain or sleet.

This storm is larger than the expected max storm snowfall for a given season.  Hell, this would have been the biggest storm I had experienced prior to age 13 (sans 1983, when I was a wee toddler)!

For those of you taking multiple (50?  :lmao: ) measurements, just curious....are you taking those on solid surfaces (driveway, tables, snowboards), or rather on grassy surfaces? If the latter, are you trying to account for the air between the snow and the ground thanks to the snow pack lying on top of the grass?

For instance, I measured 6.0" on my board, but if I were to shove the ruler into the grass until it stops, it'd be more like 8". Thus 6.0" is my total, but I've seen many nearby reports closer to 8" (could be legit, of course). Ratios were mediocre, with 0.59" melted yielding very close to a 10:1. 

Looks great though. Just enough to qualify as a significant snow, but not too difficult to dig out of!  :snowing:

Archived