joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
01/02/14 to 01/03/14 Snow Storm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Northern Nassau getting nailed right now.

Hope it sinks a little further south. I'm already

seeing moderate to heavy snow and would

love to see what those echoes look like.

Yeah, moderate snow still and 9 degrees.  

Snow measurements range from 6-14". I'll call it 10".

temperature under this band caused (i believe) the temp to drop 2 degrees in an hour

08:05 14.0 °F 12.6 °F 29.82in NE 2.2mph - 94% - 08:20 14.0 °F 12.6 °F 29.83in West 2.2mph - 94% - 08:36 14.0 °F 12.4 °F 29.84in WNW 2.7mph - 93% - 08:51 13.5 °F 11.6 °F 29.87in West 2.7mph - 92% - 09:06 12.4 °F 10.3 °F 29.88in West 4.7mph - 91%

Nice man! 

You're just a shade ahead of me. I'm approaching 9" at this time and it's still dumping. 

based on the weathertap radar there is one more band sagging south through LI - I wonder if maybe we can squeeze out another .5-1".

imagine this would have occurred in a slightly less progressive pattern with a closed off h5 low...

since I am tech-slow can someone kindly (please) explain to me how to upload pics into a post?

Sincerely,

Embarrassed

DSnowX, Ace, what are you seeing? I'm just north of the southern state.

a sh-tload of white and wind!

its still snowing, small dendrites....

using my golf distances as a gauge i would say visibility is about 200yds (maybe a bit less).

It's been an hour since the NWS released this statement. Apparently "slowly drifting south" means slooooooowly drifting south. LOL. Still moderate snow here.

NWS...
Statement as of 8:20 AM EST on January 03, 2014

... Band of snow moving across eastern portions of New York City
and Long Island... 

At 816 am... National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated a
band of heavy snow over eastern Suffolk County and tracking to the
southwest. Another band of moderate to heavy snow lies across
northern Queens and northern Nassau counties... and is slowly
drifting to the south. Snowfall rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour
are falling with these bands... with the highest amounts over
central Suffolk County. Visibilities will be reduced to near 0 in
the strongest bands. Persons are urged to avoid travel if possible
during this time.

Guest Pamela

Port Jefferson: 9.5" of snow as of 5:50 AM.

I went out on the property about 20 minutes ago and took a more careful set of measurements than I could take overnight in the dark...and I'd estimate that that earlier number of 9.5" that I reported at 5:50 AM was likely inflated...and, as of 9:00 AM...I'd estimate we've had about 10.5" here.

Of course, I do not use the snowboard method...so whatever I report is likely to be less than those who do.

I am just north of Southern State and the visibility really came up to a mile or better the last few minutes

with breaks of sun.

Back to mod snow...

Band to the north is breaking apart and there's no echos overhead according to radarscope. Idk what to say

I went out on the property about 20 minutes ago and took a more careful set of measurements than I could take overnight in the dark...and I'd estimate that that earlier number of 9.5" that I reported at 5:50 AM was likely inflated...and, as of 9:00 AM...I'd estimate we've had about 10.5" here.

Of course, I do not use the snowboard method...so whatever I report is likely to be less than those who do.

Amounts appear to be very uniform across the Island, which is a rarity with coastals. Just about everyone reporting between 10-12". Would you call this last band that has lingered across the Island 'sound effect' or 'sound enhanced'?

Archived