Newest Member
    joxey
01/02/14 to 01/03/14 Snow Storm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

My casual observation did not bear up to scrutiny with a ruler.

You know, I recall making that same mistakes the morning after the 3/2/2009 event...thinking there *must* be 15 or 16 inches out there and gravely disappointed to find only 11 or 12...I wrote that off at the time to having not seen significant snow in so long a time...Feb 2006, I guess it was...that I had lost the ability to adequately gauge or guesstimate depth...

Guest Pamela

and, as of 9:00 AM...I'd estimate we've had about 10.5" here.

0.7" from the morning snow showers & 9.8" from the overnight snowstorm.

Guest Pamela

Final total 10.75"

hell of an event.

Might be a while before we track another one of these....

The main thing is it did not change to rain...those are the worst...especially when all snow is washed away...

Reported a conservative 12". Pretty sure it was closer to 13, however cannot be certain due to wind. The 13.5 by tim makes sense, being that I'm located on the southern side of Riverhead, not all that far from Eastport

..those last few hours it really was coming down good..(between 7-10am)..hey easternLI..stop by 

the rendezvous..i tend bar there..hoping they stay closed today..i'm shot!

Fell asleep for a couple of hours.  Last reading was 5" at 2 am and as of 5:30 am we have an estimated 6.5", which is the average of about a dozen measurements in my backyard (range was 5.5 to 7.25").  Still snowing close to moderately, but probably not for much longer.  Hoping to eke out another 1/2" to get to 7".  A very nice storm, although we did miss out on some of the heaviest bands.  It's is stunningly gorgeous out there and a little bit nippy, although temps went up a degree or two - now at 14F. 

So, slept a couple of more hours, woke up at 8 am to what appeared to be the last of the snowfall, by radar, and measured a mean of about 7" in the backyard (over about a dozen measurements).  Range was about 6-8" in generally undisturbed areas; in open areas had some mostly bare spots and some drifts to about a foot or so - not as much drifting as I thought we'd have.  7" seems consistent with the 6-8" I've seen reported in central/northern Middlesex County.  Awesome job by the NWS on this one. 

Came back in, fell asleep again without posting, woke up, did some work, grabbed by 19 year old son and we shoveled, and then measured again around 11:30 am and definitely had some compaction, as I measured a mean of about 6.5".  Finally have a few minutes to myself and am making this post.  Haven't had a chance to catch up on what went on elsewhere apart from the last few pages of this thread - looks like NYC/LI/Monmouth did very well, as expected and was surprised to see so much down in South Jersey and SE PA.  Cool storm. 

If you draw a line from GSP in South Jersey and CNJ, through Staten Island, southern Brooklyn, southern Queens, and Long Island is the area that cashed in on totals based on the echoes from the radar last night, and wind was the strongest due to deformation banding, and LI ocean enhancement. Storm reminds me of March 2009 how the bands were set up

snow ratios sucked out this way. .52 of precip equaled 5.5 of snow. temps near 10 most of the event. never had good snow growth, no dendrites just tiny flakes. no fluff factor involved at all.

We had the same problem in the Poconos and only got 4-5"...tiny flakes in light banding. Too much pixie dust and not enough dendrites.

It's not melting since it's so far below freezing -- it's actually sublimating (going directly from a solid to a gas). 

Actually, some of both is occurring. Sublimation is very likely dominating right now given the cold temps, bright sunshine (required for sublimation - need an energy source, as vaporization is far more energy intensive than melting) and low humidity.  But melting is certainly occurring, as one can see wet surfaces where the snow has been shoveled (and not salted). 

http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/watercyclesublimation.html

So, slept a couple of more hours, woke up at 8 am to what appeared to be the last of the snowfall, by radar, and measured a mean of about 7" in the backyard (over about a dozen measurements).  Range was about 6-8" in generally undisturbed areas; in open areas had some mostly bare spots and some drifts to about a foot or so - not as much drifting as I thought we'd have.  7" seems consistent with the 6-8" I've seen reported in central/northern Middlesex County.  Awesome job by the NWS on this one. 

Came back in, fell asleep again without posting, woke up, did some work, grabbed by 19 year old son and we shoveled, and then measured again around 11:30 am and definitely had some compaction, as I measured a mean of about 6.5".  Finally have a few minutes to myself and am making this post.  Haven't had a chance to catch up on what went on elsewhere apart from the last few pages of this thread - looks like NYC/LI/Monmouth did very well, as expected and was surprised to see so much down in South Jersey and SE PA.  Cool storm. 

Probably correct.  I'm in Piscataway, pretty close to the Edison border, and measured on average about 7.5" 

If you draw a line from GSP in South Jersey and CNJ, through Staten Island, southern Brooklyn, southern Queens, and Long Island is the area that cashed in on totals based on the echoes from the radar last night, and wind was the strongest due to deformation banding, and LI ocean enhancement. Storm reminds me of March 2009 how the bands were set up

I got more than 2009 this time...I estimate around 7" fell here...maybe eight...It looked like there was more in Old Town when I was there this morning...

I got more than 2009 this time...I estimate around 7" fell here...maybe eight...It looked like there was more in Old Town when I was there this morning...

Your right, eastern SI got more than the western side, Looking at the radar echoes the heavy bands were on the south shore parallel along Hylan blvd last night, I got 9", Heavier bands didnt seem to make it past Todt Hill (its topography might act as a very localized "shadowing" effect where areas west of todt hill got less intense bands)

Archived