northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what does a cooperative atlantic mean?  50/50 and blocking?

For big DC snows we want a low at 500 mb near nova scotia.  That keeps confluent flow over New england.  Usually where the flow is confluent you have upper level convergence which builds surface pressures or at least keeps them from falling which helps force any low to our south.   Without that you usually need to get really lucky with a southern stream system with a pretty vigorous 500 low crossing just to our south like our one snowstorm in 2011....the one that was commuting disaster.  The best way to hold the low near nova scotia is to have blocking across southern Greenland westward to Baffin Bay. 

For big DC snows we want a low at 500 mb near nova scotia.  That keeps confluent flow over New england.  Usually where the flow is confluent you have upper level convergence which builds surface pressures or at least keeps them from falling which helps force any low to our south.   Without that you usually need to get really lucky with a southern stream system with a pretty vigorous 500 low crossing just to our south like our one snowstorm in 2011....the one that was commuting disaster.  The best way to hold the low near nova scotia is to have blocking across southern Greenland westward to Baffin Bay. 

heh..we posted the same thing at the same time

heh..we posted the same thing at the same time

You guys nailed the features. Not hard to identify on the panels once you know what to look for but awful important to have. One thing I will add to the question asked is that blocking doesn't always mean a -nao. A transient 50-50 low with a +nao gets the job done. When we have a nice west based -nao we don't need a 50-50 low because a favorable blocking high over Greenland and eastern Canada also keeps the track south.

Neither of which seem to want to work for us this month but maybe late. I'm slightly bullish for a period of real blocking in Feb but more of a wag based on clues vs skill.

You guys nailed the features. Not hard to identify on the panels once you know what to look for but awful important to have. One thing I will add to the question asked is that blocking doesn't always mean a -nao. A transient 50-50 low with a +nao gets the job done. When we have a nice west based -nao we don't need a 50-50 low because a favorable blocking high over Greenland and eastern Canada also keeps the track south.

Neither of which seem to want to work for us this month but maybe late. I'm slightly bullish for a period of real blocking in Feb but more of a wag based on clues vs skill.

I'd rather have a 50-50 and east based block than west based blocking and a NF ridge

Usually,  you have a 50-50 low when you have west based blocking so mostly it's a mute point.  Together the two features are what forces our lows to the south. 

good point....I guess I am thinking of recently when we had higher heights over baffin bay and ridging over 50-50....but it was transient and not a block

Im about to unfollow Jim Cantore on Twitter. He is becoming annoying with the send emails to directv.

#stormDirecTV

I couldn't tell you the last time I watched TWC besides scrolling past it channel surfing.  Anytime I see it on the guide on Comcast, its always some sort of reality tv program.  I can't stand Al Roker so when he got his own morning show, I pretty much wrote them off.  

Archived