• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Big Snow threat, what will it do, part II

Typhoon Tip

Absolutely, many of them have years of experience forecasting for SNE, and they are synthesizing all the data and their past experiences to present their current thinking. Many are leaning >8" based on their maps. That information is valuable to me, just like when they are bearish on an event.

great. then watch tv and go to social media. that is what those avenues are for.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

posting tv or social media mets snowfall amounts at this stage adds nothing to the discussion. just more garbage to sift through.

I agree..potential is there for just about anything. Right now conservative is the way to go. Moderate confidence in a moderate snowfall.

The factors look good overall for SNE. Good PVA, mid level circulation placements..etc. I like it.

Agree totally Scott. I'm having fun dissecting the 18z GFS in Wingridds.

Disagree, their thoughts are useful and often valuable.

IMO its reckless.

It's interesting, because the TV Mets in Connecticut don't really seem to hype anything.  A matter of fact, they seem pretty conservative, after-all.  It is usually the anchors who will hype the headlines... "some big snow coming".. etc.  But, I happen to think the Mets report responsibly and do a great job overall, in my opinion.  

To put out snowfall maps in this situation is pointless, you are going to have to change it several times before the storm gets here.  It is a waste of your God given energy.  To me we should nail down the preferred track given guidance and with the disturbance in question not sampled yet given that its taking its sweet time making landfall, I would say 12z tomorrow runs will determine more than the 00z runs tonight.

It's interesting, because the TV Mets in Connecticut don't really seem to hype anything.  A matter of fact, they seem pretty conservative, after-all.  It is usually the anchors who will hype the headlines... "some big snow coming".. etc.  But, I happen to think the Mets report responsibly and do a great job overall, in my opinion.

What I heard was a couple inches Thursday with the chance for a bigger storm Thursday night. Local mets about as conservative as you can play it at this point.

I don't like conservatism in wx. But just about every other aspect of life I do . Interesting

You'd probably be the guy to shout "fire!" in a movie theater. Its about being responsible. Just saying. Most mets have a much larger audience and end user to serve and therefore being responsible and conservative is prudent. You don't have any responsibility attached to your forecasts so you can post and forecast as you may.

Man I'd like to lock the 12z Euro solution for here. That's gotta be a total fluffbomb and I like how the 700mb low closes off to the SW and passes to our SE instead of right overhead.

Givie me last night's EC.....

Great choice for days off for me. No work till Thursday. Lots of weenie time.

Same here----but I need to be judicious in my time with the family.

I really like where you are and points south.  I guess we might get some good snow out here, too.  But the best times will really be to the east wrt heavy snow and wind. 

14.6/6 at the Pit.

You'd probably be the guy to shout "fire!" in a movie theater. Its about being responsible. Just saying. Most mets have a much larger audience and end user to serve and therefore being responsible and conservative is prudent. You don't have any responsibility attached to your forecasts so you can post and forecast as you may.

I'll add that the extreme solution verifying is usually rare...especially if it's at d4-5 and only 1 or 2 runs of a particular model. But I guess the public doesn't care as much as they used to in this age of "reality" TV They just want drama and something to talk about in social media at this range. I think most of the public won't hold a forecast against you unless it's a forecast bust inside 24hrs.

My brother in Concord just sent me a text that they (not sure who) was calling for 18".

Most mets have a much larger audience and end user to serve and therefore being responsible and conservative is prudent. You don't have any responsibility attached to your forecasts so you can post and forecast as you may.

Don't post much (obviously) and I only lurk during the winter, but this is a great point. Mets that don't aire on the side of caution can literally start mass chaos (slightly overexaggerating) and then we go to buy groceries and there's no bread and milk..........it's all gone :( lol

Givie me last night's EC.....

Same here----but I need to be judicious in my time with the family.

I really like where you are and points south.  I guess we might get some good snow out here, too.  But the best times will really be to the east wrt heavy snow and wind. 

14.6/6 at the Pit.

You would do better with the 12z I think.

What I heard was a couple inches Thursday with the chance for a bigger storm Thursday night. Local mets about as conservative as you can play it at this point.

Yeah that's what I went with today. No point in getting more worked up - we'll see what tomorrow's models bring and then we can crank up the hype. 

Archived